Musical Dishonesty - What next?

by hillary_step 82 Replies latest social entertainment

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

sorry guys, but, i have no musical talent, but, love to mix my own music. i am all for electronic manipulation of music.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Now, I can't comment knowledgeably on the musical side of things, but I can bemoan the loss of craft to the art. I hear there are sculptors who win competitions based on their concept, then have craftsmen carve their piece for them. Abominable!

Now, I don't mix my own pigments, but it's my brush to canvas. No others. I don't think you can really know the stone or the harmony or the feeling of paint on canvas without doing it yourself.

There's nothing quite like getting in the groove with a painting that WORKS. I use one large brush for the entire painting. I work a different part of the canvas depending on how much paint is on the brush. As I feather down to the final strokes, I work in on the softest detail of the face or hand, until I am using the razor edge of the tip of my brush. I and the brush, the canvas and the paint work together in a symphony of color. Close in then step back. Does that color NEED to be elsewhere? I load the brush agan, APOW POW as my teacher used to say, blasting in a little expression. Then closer in when the color has thinned my brush again to a fine point.

I don't think I could tolerate a machine "correcting" my painting.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    I hear there are sculptors who win competitions based on their concept, then have craftsmen carve their piece for them. Abominable!

well i think this is a good idea.

if i came up with a concept i would have to get someone else to 'carve' it as i wouldn't know how to myself..it's only abominable if they then pretend they had done it and did not give recognition to the craftsmen.

and i wouldn't have any problem accepting a 'prize' for my concept

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit