Has Islam lead to an increase in Atheism?

by nicolaou 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ever since 911 and the subsequent attacks in Bali, Madrid, and London it seems that everyone feels they have a licence to criticise Islam (they do). Fundamentalist and many mainstream Christians deride the backwardness of a religion that creates suicide bombers and 'honour' killers.

Of course, it was only a small group of hardcore Islamist extremists that carried out these attacks but the whole community has been tarred by them, and perhaps in some sense it is only right that the majority of 'reasonable' and peaceful Muslims do accept the part they play in providing the soil for these people to grow in. (Oh yes, I'm ready for the flak on that one!)

However, another side affect has shown itself in that atheists, agnostics and free-thinkers of all persuasions have found themselves more willing and motivated to speak out against all religion! Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and now Christopher Hitchens are all breaking new ground in exposing the evil effects of all religion upon humanity. Knowledge is increasing and ignorance is very slowly receding. The human race is starting to wake up.

Isn't it great?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and now Christopher Hitchens are all breaking new ground in exposing the evil effects of all religion upon humanity. Knowledge is increasing and ignorance is very slowly receding. The human race is starting to wake up.

Isn't it great?

Yes it is nicolaou! I love The End of Faith by Harris. Especially the young in Islamic countries will soon be saying 'enough!'.

Thank God! LOL!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My father always taught me " It is an ill wind that blows nobody any good" In other words, an ill wind, or anything bad, something good comes out of it.

After 9/11 Islam came to the fore. People started to acknowledge it and read more into it and its past. Quite rightly , some times the other side of the story was told e.g. Christendoms centuries and centuries of bigotry and killing in the name of religion. Many are sick and tired of religion in ALL forms, not just Islam. Even many muslims were shcked and appalled.

Enlightenemnt continues , and this has to be good long term for the Human family.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The secret is - while Islam and its extreme forms (and its mild forms which tolerates or does not condemn extreme forms) should be rightly condemned, so must fundamentalist Christianity and other virulent religions.

• robhic
    robhic

Just finished reading the book While Europe Slept by Bruce Bawer. Considering your location, you might find it interesting.

It's written by a New York homosexual journalist who moved to the Netherlands with his partner so they could marry. His journey thru the problems foisted upon those countries (first) due to their policies of non-confrontation and just not "rocking the boat" are amazing.

Most of the muslims live off the government's support and don't speak the language nor seem interested in anything to do with their new country. It's a bit angering and eye-opening. The problem is really starting to move out to the other countries of the EU. They want their sharia law and not the country's laws in which they live to have precedence.

Startling.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I can feel it guys!

Humanity is waking up!

It's about to get real good!

• barry
    barry

Many

muslims while they wouldnt blow anyone up are sympathetic to the radical people in Islam.

• metatron
    metatron

Actually, I've heard about atheism emerging among Muslims in rejection of their own enforced religion - as with that Dutch/African lady

who got booted after attacking the oppression she encountered.

Could atheism save the world from a nuclear holocaust by diverting Muslims away from freely obtaining and using nukes? I think this needs

consideration. Alternatively, I think the CIA should quietly fund a Sufi revival. It might prevent missles being launched one day.....

metatron

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

metatron: I was with you up until your idea about a CIA funded Sufi revival. According to The International Sufi Movement a Sufi is "one who does not separate himself from others by opinion or dogma; and who realizes the heart as the Shrine of God". A Sufi also desires "to remove the false self and discover God within". An oxymoron?

How about recognising our hearts as shrines of humanity and striving to discover our true human potential and the real self within. How about we just leave god out of it altogether?

Nic'

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Knowledge is increasing and ignorance is very slowly receding. The human race is starting to wake up.

Isn't it great?

It is indeed... very great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit