GOD IS NOT GREAT - Christopher Hitchens

by Dansk 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Apologies if someone has covered this already, but I'm a third of the way through this marvellous book which I'm enjoying more than Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion.

The full title of Hitchens' book is God is Not Great - the case against religion. It pulls no punches and is extremely well written. I salute Hichens' bravery for stepping forward and saying what many have said (mainly thought, through fear) for years (and paid a terrible price) and for what others would like to say but are constrained through religious pressure - and I fear that yet another author will be eyed for "treatment" by fundamentalists.

This is a brilliant, eye-opening and candid read which, no doubt, will have creationists screaming in condemnation from the rooftops. That in itself is reason enough to read it because if there's nothing to hide there's nothing to scream about! Being an atheist is getting better and better - and who says we don't have any morals? Read and see.

Ian

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I've still yet to buy this, but have a week off from school next week and will likely do so then. I'm glad you are enjoying it. To hear you say you're enjoying it even more than The God Delusion really says a lot! I know how much we both liked that one alone.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

I don't usually listen to audio books (prefer to read 'em myself), but I got this one because it was read by the author, Christopher Hitchens. It's really neat--the guy has a great voice, and his points are well-made.

Jankyn

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the recommendation Ian. I just starting God Delusion but I'll add this one to my list.

Open Mind

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

yep im looking forward to reading it too Ian...especially as he is diametrically (sp)opposed to his Brother Peter!

• Dansk
    Dansk

From the inside cover:

"In the tradition of Bertand Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian, Christopher Hitchens makes the ultimate case against religion. In a series of acute readings of the major religious texts, he demonstrates the ways in which religion is man-made, dangerously sexually repressive and distorts the very origins of the cosmos. With robust clarity, Hitchens frames the argument for a more secular life based on science and reason, in which hell is replaced by the Hubble Telescope's awesome view of the universe and Moses and the burning bush give way to the beauty and symmetry of the double helix.

God is Not Great marvels at the possibility of society without religion, arguing that the concept of an omniscient God has profoundly damaged humanity. Hitchens proposes instead that the world might be a great deal better off without 'him'"

My thoughts:

What has been done, and is still being done, to women, young girls and boys in the name of religion is quite despicable. I hadn't realised just how bad it was/is! I urge everyone to read this book. It just might set you free!

Ian

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

My "to read" book list is getting longer. Keep 'em coming.

nj

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Dansk, I will get this one, thanks for your thoughts.

Blueblades

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I'm about halfway through. So far, it's about as good as Sam Harris' The End Of Faith to me. Most is great, but a couple of sections have been less interesting, like the spiritualism written about in Harris' book was to me.

• steve2
    steve2

I'm more leaning towards Zen Buddhism principles and an agnostic outlook but I must say your comments about Christopher Hitchen's writings have caught my attention! I'll be folowing up!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit