Witness "Terminology"

by Rubens 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rubens
    Rubens

I find it interesting reading posts from ex-Witnesses or those that are slipping away and yet the terminology is still brain-washed into us. I mean, I've managed to stop using the terms myself. Sometimes I might catch myself using the term "the truth" or "brother" or "sister", but I quickly correct myself.

The fact is for me, as much as I agree with a lot of their values and beliefs, those people were not my "brothers and sisters" nor was the organization "the truth". It took me a long while to realize how entrenched I had become in using those terms when there was no validity to them, at least for me. It almost made me feel as those I had been brainwashed, because a clear indication of that is not recognizing your everyday thoughts and actions have now become normal... Its not until you step away that you realize how far you had travelled.

So I'm curious how everyone else feels about this. Thoughts? Feelings? And for those that still use the terminology, why do you (not meant in a bad way either, just wondering)?

Rubens

• Gopher
    Gopher

Isn't it fine that you can come here among "friends" and "good associates" who can offer you an "interchange of encouragement"?

I mean, yeah it takes a little while for the old terms to fade away, and also for the old thoughts to fade away. You say you agree with "a lot of" their beliefs and values, maybe that will fade away after a while too. Well there are some values (like treat others the way you want to be treated. help each other in time of need, respect the elderly) that they talk about, but are really common to a lot of people whether they hold to a religion or not. They had nothing original of any value, just a distrust of the world around them (some of which is merited, much of which was exaggerated -- I mean, c'mon is earning a college degree really that bad now?)

• MUNKAFATS
    MUNKAFATS

im not an ex jw or a current one , was an 'interested one" (theres that terminology) until i googled jw and found sites like this , anyway ive never been comfortable with calling people sister , brother etc, it just felt like brainwashing to me , when my jw friend visited i felt like saying cant you just call her or him by their given names

• Rubens
    Rubens

I should clarify. When I say "a lot of their beliefs", I am referring to things like loving your neighbour, respect for parents, having a close family, being a good person in the community, obeying the laws, well mannered and polite. Things they preach and most of them somewhat actually do...

But there are a lot of fundamental beliefs I strongly disagree with now, for which I can freely speak about without having to worry about my trained answer. And because of that, I've had some of the best discussions about religion since I've left. Not to mention I have a lot more respect for people who don't share the same beliefs as I have.

I remember my old boss and I talked for 4 straight hours one day from the time I got to work until lunch time. I finally had to stop to tell him I had work to do. But you know what? I'm sure all the elders were concerned with was that I didn't put in "service time" on my card! LOL!

Rubens

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Not to mention I have a lot more respect for people who don't share the same beliefs as I have.

Isn't it nice not to always have to try swaying people to a certain belief ('the truth', we used to call it)? I have enjoyed talking to and learning from Christians, atheists, agnostics, Muslims, Hindus since leaving JW's, and not feeling like anyone is forcing something on someone else. (Well , some Christians still do....)

I had enough preaching for one lifetime. Don't like doing it or hearing it.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Yes, interesting.

Fellow witnesses get Brother and Sister, but God (the father) just gets called a made up/translated name????

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN LURKER!!!!

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

There is a vocabulary for all professions.

The JWs have a vocabulary that is used by those here as "reference points" of understanding. Not only does the word carry a fix meaning, but, there is an emotional sense attached to it as well. So, when I say "the brothers" it puts my statement into an emotional as well as fact based set of circumstances.

Also, it allows "new ones" to the baord to feel comfortable with familiar language.

Just a thought or two,

V

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I generally only use their lingo "when in Rome" as the saying goes, and only deep Rome; otherwise I like to try and find another way of expressing my thoughts. Sometimes it's just more efficient to use the language of the listener when trying to get a point across.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is no worse than when you were in and inadvertently used a swear word out of habit, or perhaps accidentally returned a holiday greeting. Those terms are deeply embedded into many dubs' language and probably will never be totally erased. The important part is that we come to see that they are just labels, and misnomers at that, even if we slip up and refer to the organization as "the truth". Just remember how many times you accidentally swore or used a banned term while in.

• DJK
    DJK

BROTHER Rubens, may I welcome you to the board again? I'm just being a wise a$$.

I had it drilled into to me to refer to others as brother or sister and not use their first name. I didn't like it. I was even whipped with a belt if I made that mistake and eventaully I just never addressed them at all. This training didn't escape my memories this past April when several JWs attended my sister's funeral. My father was next to me as they came by and I emphisized their first name making sure he heard it. I had to force myself to do that and it felt good.

I have learned my fathers expressions very well and I saw more than once he wasn't pleased.....too bad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit