What Disappoints You Most About Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Rubens
    Rubens

The hypocrisy. It drove me nuts that I would go to someone's door trying to get them to take the Watchtower and Awake and yet if that person offered me some of their literature, I was not allowed to take it. I debated this with an elder recently and we went back and forth for a while. He told me they don't take them because they have "the truth" and so they don't need to read any other literature. To which I replied that the person on the other end also has the same conviction for what they believe, making you a complete hypocrite for forcing yours but not taking theirs... I even went as far as telling the elder, "Let's say for arguments say you do indeed have the truth. Your belief is firm and you can defend it with the Bible. Your faith is that strong and its backed by your works. Then you have no need to worry about taking someone else's literature because you can always prove them wrong, or put nicely, show them the right way". He had nothing to say to that... but still indicated they could not take anything.

It felt good to tell an Elder the truth, that he was a hypocrite!

The other thing I am disappointed with is how much they preach love from the platform. In all my experiences, I saw very little evidence that anyone in the congregation loved my family. Again, hypocrites.

Rubens

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

A continual lack of credible reasoning.

• Gopher
    Gopher

That they don't just "live and let live". Everything is spiritual warfare to them.

There was some liberalization in the 1970's -- a little more room for people to use their own judgment on things. Heck, even helping your fellow JW in need was considered "sacred service" for a while.

Then they did the purge at Bethel, got paranoid and reverted to ultra-conservatism and "loyalty to the organization" being the prime thing.

Ugh, just like Solomon - they got meaner as they got older.

• Warlock
    Warlock

One disappointing thing for me, is, when articles are written on subjects that are, or should be, conscience issues, the slant of those articles is always directed towards what the Org. wants you to do, usually "don't do it".

Warlock

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

The fact that they claim to be christians but in fact behave like first century Pharisee's instead.

• golf2
    golf2

Need you ask ? What doesn't?

Golf

• minimus
    minimus

I too am disappointed over the fact that they can't or actually will not reason on the truth, if it conflicts with their own version of "truth". And the fact that you can't even breathe a question or negative thought without the Thought Police coming after you.

• flipper
    flipper

Minimus- The realization that if you try to reason with them ,it's a waste of time because they have preformed patented answers for everything as provided by their governing body.And that they try to keep as more important their outward appearance as an organization instead of admitting to the child molestation problem publicly and to their members. Instead they try to hide the damaging information. It's dangerous and annoying to say the least. Peace, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit