The Wrath of God visits the small village of Nyos

by daystar 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

that'll teach those godless african farmers. that's a joke before anyone gets mad.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That may have been the case in Nyos (and many other instances eg tsunamis) a natural disaster but those Biblical disasters may have been of supernatural origins.

The school of thought of naturalism seeks to ascribe natural causes to all phenomena and excludes any supernatural causes.

• daystar
    daystar

The school of thought of naturalism seeks to ascribe natural causes to all phenomena and excludes any supernatural causes.

There are no supernatural causes, nor supernatural effects, only the unknown. Even I, who run in circles of mystics, shamans, and magicians, and who studies and practices, experiments with, what we often call the supernatural, remain consciously aware of this.

Today's magick and miracles, tomorrow's science.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Today's magick and miracles, tomorrow's science.

Amen my very wise brother!

• daystar
    daystar

Daystar!!!!! It's good to "see" you here!!

I've bookmarked that article for future reading.

Thanks, and don't be such a stranger!!

Oh, and I meant to *wave* to you, BB!

Brigid and I have been taking a bit of a break from JWD. Things have been very busy in both of our industries lately, and we've been directing our energies in other... directions. (Allow myself to introduce... myself...) But, it seems that we have made a slight adjustment in course, which apparently brings us both back to some activity here.

Good to see everyone!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

greendawn:

That may have been the case in Nyos (and many other instances eg tsunamis) a natural disaster but those Biblical disasters may have been of supernatural origins.

Of course. When these things happen now, they're caused by understandable and explainable natural phenomena but when they happened in the past, they were the work of gods or devils. Earthquakes now may be caused by the movement of tectonic plates, but in the past they were caused by the wrath of god. Modern thunder and lightning may simply be due to a build up of electric charge in the atmosphere but ancient thunder and lightning was the hammer of the gods. We may consider epilepsy to be due to a chemical imbalance in the brain and successfully treat it as such but two thousand years ago, the exact same symptoms were the result of demon possession.

Absolutely. You say that like it's a bad thing rather than the single most important advancement in the history of humanity. Not a single human achievement has ever been the result of accepting a supernatural "explanation" for any phenomenon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit