Will The New Watchtower Kill Off The Awake?

by metatron 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

The writing is truly on the wall for the wtbts, when the internet became the phenomenom it did some people assumed that the availability of info on the organisation would be its downfall. I think though that its decline is going to be due to its inability to move with the times. Any business not utilising the internet now faces big problems. The wtbts has a problem, a move to take advantage of online presence is a natural and neccessary progression for most businesses however it also realises that opening that Pandora's Box is going to lose them large numbers of "employees"

Seriously with the internet at your fingertips who wants a crappy, badly written, poorly illustrated rag?

• Gill
    Gill

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the purpose. It would save a hell of a lot of money, just when they want money the most......not that they ever didn't.

• blondie
    blondie

I thought about this too. It's awkward to offer the same Awake with the WT all during the month. More paperwork to keep track who received an Awake or place the same one twice with the same person.

So will jws have only one magazine each month to offer the public then? Should be interesting. There was no Golden Age (Consolation, Awake) until 10/1/1919, 40 years after the WT started to be printed. There weren't even any study articles in the WT then...they studied the Studies in the Scriptures written by Russell.

The WT is the signature magazine that jws are known by, not the Awake. Also, the majority of the mind-controlling material is in the WT. If you think the bible is mentioned in passing in the WT, the mention of the bible in the Awake is like the mist that disappears in the morning.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I think the only impediment to the phasing out of Awake is that they may loose some interest by the publishers. They will then only have a single monthly copy of Watchtower to place, and for pioneers especially, this will get stale quickly.

I don't believe Awake or Watchtower was ever published for the 'benefit' of the masses to which it is distributed in the field. They were always produced to keep the publishers interested and believing they had 'fresh' material to present. [Though of course it was just the same vomit reorganized - dubs aren't bright enough to pick up on that].

I would propose that the larger plan is to phase out both the public Watchtower and Awake over time - trying to get the publishers to use brochures and books in the ministry. Brochures only need to be written once, as do books, thus allowing the reduction of 'errors' that come from writers producing the magazines. One or two new brochures a year, and a new book once in while, could be justified under the 'urgent' theme mentioned earlier. "We just don't need to produce magazines each month that are different - our responsibility is to preach a message that doesn't change." [ Gagging is allowed here].

They could still retain the prideful "Watchtower produced since 1879" BS to the dubs who would still get one. The public neither knows nor cares about that tripe anyway.

Jeff

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I could see them doing what Zack said, which is to eliminate the public version of the Watchtower. They would keep the Watchtower as the insider's magazine, and keep the Awake as the magazine for the worldlings, to make the worldlings "Awake" and come into the troof. I cannot see them eliminating all magazines for the d2d work so quickly. Dubs can only handle so much change before they start questioning things. Perhaps after a couple of years (or more) could they eliminate the "public" magazine and solely use tracts and overstocked Revelation books :)

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    There is a KM printed for each branch. Although the WT is identical around the world, it is printed at various branch offices. It would not be difficult to add a few pages of branch specific KM articles and announcements on a monthly basis

Yes.....and No!

As I've already mentioned in a previous post on this thread, the magazines are not identical worldwide. Sure, they may look the same (cover, etc) but it works like this: The back page and one or two inside pages are left blank when they arrive at the printeries. (Incidentally, it is not true that each country prints its own magazines. There are specially designated printeries around the world and they print magazines for their stipulated countries. For example, Japan may print for Australia, etc) The local branches insert their own pages to give local flavor.

On this basis it shouldn't be too difficult to insert the KM material into the Publisher edition of the WT.

BTW Time magazines does something similar with its various editions worldwide.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    it was just the same vomit reorganized - dubs aren't bright enough to pick up on that

my 76 year old aunt said that going to the KH is like going to see the same movie over and over again. It sure sounded funny coming from her!

• Quandry
    Quandry

I think it makes good business sense to combine the WT and AWAKE magazines. Only one front and back cover to print. Maybe we could help the org. with new names for the magazine.

1. Awaktower

2. Watchake

3. Watchit

4. Waktor

5. Towake

Is the new edition of the dubs only WT going to have pictures? Think about how bored the kids will be if there aren't even any pictures to look at during the study.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

AWATCH!

ATOWER!

ZION'S ALARM CLOCK

• bluebell
    bluebell

Interesting thought, I never considered stuff like this when i was in dubland, and still dont now but its great to read other peoples foretelling of events! i bet we'd be just as accurate as any other fortune teller.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit