Will The New Watchtower Kill Off The Awake?

by metatron 41 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I can definitely see the OKM published as part of the Publisher Edition of the WT. That would make huge sense

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I agree, stilla ! (well, I usually do, eh? !)

That would mean that the material and outlines for both the main congregation meetings are in one publication.

Just think, the Society would also get "donations" for it, something they don't get with OKM.

It'd also 'save' having to wait for the book study overseer deliver it to you!

Yep, a win all round.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I can definitely see the OKM published as part of the Publisher Edition of the WT. That would make huge sense

It would make too much sense, which is why it won't happen.

Consider - they'll lose some of their control if they do this. If you're DF'd, you can get the Watchtower but you cannot get the OKM. If they combine them, would the DF'd get access to that secret "model presentation" information that you find in the OKM? And what about the "announcement" section of the OKM-- we wouldn't want the DF'd people having the right to their own copy of that now!!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

gopher:

And what about the "announcement" section of the OKM

actually, they have been reducing the Announcement section for years. You will note they no longer publish all of the new literature/new language editions in the KM (if they dont read about all the new videos, and they are not at the SM, they wont order the expensive lit).. The literature announcements are now sent as a letter to the congregations as an "announcement", which conveniently, is read during the Announcements part on the Service Sales Meeting, often in connection with the Accounts Report, where they acknowledge the congregations donations and read some snippet of news about where the money is going.

Can you imagine, this being read at a Service Sales Meeting during the Accounts Report:

"Dear brothers, It is with gratitude that we accept your recent donation to the World Wide Work in the amount of $X,XXX.00. You will be excited to know how some of these funds are being used. Recently, your generous donations have made it possible to settle out of court with 16 victims of pedophiles, thus avoiding needlessly dragging Jehovah's name through Ceasar's courts. While we deeply regret these few individuals causing such grief, by settling, we can now focus our attention on the all important Preaching the Good News of the Kingdom.

Along with this letter, we send our warm Christian greetings..... your brothers, Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

nahhh...too good a dream....

I can see them eliminating the KM. It is pointless anyway. Note as an example the 4 page May 2007 KM ....and how it could easily assimilated into the KoolAidWatchtower (KAWT) or into a 1 page 2 sided outline sent to the PO and copied to the elders/MS for the part instructions... such as

week of May 14 Announcements..(nothing in KM), demo, (easily included in outline)...chapter 12 of OD book...(no km article)....Q&A article..(easily put in 1 pg outline or KAWT); May 21...announcements (included in outline), Talk based on March 07 Awake! (no km article), Q&A article based on Misery School book...(include in KAWT or outline); May 28...announcements, demo, accounts... (easily included in outline), demo of lit offer (20 min....include instructions in elder outline)....field experiences (eliminate, no one but sister zealous participates...or include in outline),...June 4...announcments, local needs (no info in km) ..put Service Report, Question Box, 3 Q& articles and "What to Say About the Magazines" into the KAWT or into the outline given to the elders...could be copied for the active dubs..

you see..... easy ....

I could see them including heavier "beat the sheep" articles in the Kool-Aid edition of the Craptower and eliminating the fluff. By sending 2 page KM "outlines" to the elders to develop for the Service Sales Meeting, it would be a hella of a lot cheaper and more efficient to send 10,000 1pg, 2 sided outlines with all the meeting parts to the PO than sending 1 million 4-8 page KM. And they could tighten the control by announcing the week before what will be studied the following week. Thus, to keep "in the loop", you would need to be present at week 1 to know what was coming in week 2, etc.... Maybe periodically send out an insert (for conventions, special campaigns, donate more, pioneer more, etc.) and have the local elders make photo copies at their local OfficeMax (the Borg already has a corporate code for the elders to buy supplies now at OfficeMax)....and heeeyyyyyy they could eliminate the postage and printing entirely by using something they are already doing...sending PDF copies of certain letters via the CO to the PO and secretary through email....brilliant ya think? (go ahead Watchtower, use the idea, I know you want to )

SnakesInTheTower (of the "I dont go to the Sales meeting, why do i need a KM?" Sheep Class)

• still_in74
    still_in74

the awake would go first, the WT is the flagship. The continuous never-ending mouthpiece of Jeh for over a hundred years. As long as there is an org there will Watchtowers in the d2d work.

Also, they will never put the OKM in the Watchtower as the OKM is specific to the country or geographic location that it is being used in. It would mean printing different WT's for every country and that is significantly more costly considering the logistics of it.

A tiny, thin 2 paged pamphlet printed with one colour on newsprint cant exactly be all that expensive.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Also, they will never put the OKM in the Watchtower as the OKM is specific to the country or geographic location that it is being used in. It would mean printing different WT's for every country and that is significantly more costly considering the logistics of it.

It already is.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    However, they run into one problem with that... The d2d ministry will suffer greatly. How many dubs do you know "bury" the Watchtower underneath the Awake while going d2d just to make an easier placement?

I still say it's going to be tracts...

• Gopher
    Gopher

Snakes - thanks for that insider update on the OKM. I haven't seen one in almost 7 years.

• steve2
    steve2

Imagine if even a few short years ago you had said to the witnesses , "Before the end comes, I predict that Jehovah's plan is to cut back drastically on the circulation of magazines." You would have been laughed out of the Kingdom Hall and threatened with the big D*. For years and years, the increasing circulation of the magazines has been used as proof Jehovah is blessing his people. How quickly the JWs simply accept what the organization decides to do - even if it goes against expectations.

*Disfellowshipping

• TheListener
    TheListener

I mentioned on another thread a while back that I thought the KM would be folded into the Dub-WT.

There is a KM printed for each branch. Although the WT is identical around the world, it is printed at various branch offices.

It would not be difficult to add a few pages of branch specific KM articles and announcements on a monthly basis (since that is the same frequency the KM already comes out).

For all we know the dub-version of the WT will be handed out by bookstudy conductors like the KM is now. In that case it will be as private as the existing KMs.

Conclusion:

KM and private dub-WT merge

Awake and public WT merge

Result:

Cheaper pritning costs; less non-donated for materia (the KM); continued control and keeping of some info (supposedly) from non-dub hands.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit