Have you read Mein Kampf?

by AK - Jeff 14 Replies latest social current

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have always been mildly interested in Modern German History. But, like most jdubs, other than an occasional article in a newpaper or magazine, or a hurried reading of historical texts, I never took the time. [There was always more preaching to do, more meetings to attend, more Kingdom Halls to clean].

A fellow poster here on JWD and I were discussing Hitler's mania on the phone tonight, and the subject of Hitler's artwork came up. He suggested I look online at his art. I did. I also found an online English translation of Mein Kampf. Though I detest the atrocities that he was responsible for, I find the environs that influenced such a course, interesting, even facinating. His personal views and history are what made him the man he became. So, I began reading. I finished chapter one, bookmarked it and look forward to widening my view of post-war Germany.

In the first chapter he makes reference to his out-of-place existence in Austria though of German descent. I found it remarkably mirrorlike of my view in the early years of my Jwism, how as a youth I held to principle that put me at opposition to most of my world, and held such opposition as a standard-bearer would in battle. This excerpt was almost eerie in it's similarities to the way I felt.

Anyone who knows the soul of youth will be able to understand that it is they who lend ear most joyfully to such a battle-cry. They carry on this struggle in hundreds of forms, in their own way and with their own weapons. They refuse to sing unGerman songs. The more anyone tries to alienate them from German heroic grandeur, the wilder becomes their enthusiasm: they go hungry to save pennies for the grown-ups' battle fund their ears are amazingly sensitive to un-German teachers, and at the same time they are incredibly resistant; they wear the forbidden insignia of their own nationality and are happy to be punished or even beaten for it. Thus, on a small scale they are a faithful reflection of the adults, except that often their convictions are better and more honest.
    Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler [Chapter One - In the House of My Parents]

http://www.hitler.org/writings/Mein_Kampf/

Not to say that I agree in any way with the actions of the man later in life - I do not of course - but I find the forces that sculpted him to be of immense interest.

Jeff

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Yes but it has been a bit. It was a photo copy from a white supremist I know that had been out of prison for a bit. He is now back in. I now have his bootleg copy of it. It is interesting, but not enough to change my mixed race self into being a white supremist.

But the simularity of your feelings and his in the first part are quite amazing as I can see and did as I read through it to how my childhood friend, who was once a JW, turned to this way of life. I know he said he subcribed to it to survive in prison, but I can tell he says this out of his care for me. I know he buys it and the canvas from head to toe of white supremist tatoos tells a tale of pure mystery to me. I think his knowing me for so long makes me somehow different in his eyes. My light skin and german half seems to maybe in some way justify his caring for me.

I cannot figure it out really.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    It is interesting, but not enough to change my mixed race self into being a white supremist.

Though I am of German descent, I likely am as different in racial perspective as anyone could be from Hitler. My daughter shares your mixed-racial heritage. I love the diversity of the human species. I find it interesting - your friends' tolerance of your racial nature, while somehow taking the white-supremicist hook in his mouth. Interesting.

Jeff

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Yes Jeff,

I have seen your post and I think I know you are not of the KKK club...LOL

It IS very interesting how he was raised a JW, and his family is so liberal and he married a woman who is not white. Spanish maybe? I don't know all her races, but she is damn sure not all white. But yet he has a swastika as big as your hand over his heart. Shock value? I can see one tat' as a survival thing, but he kept going with the theme. Even when out! He is a canvas of hate sybols. Maybe they are love to him...I am boggled over it.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Hello Jeff:

Mein Kampf is on its way. You should receive it
    by this Saturday. Apart from his radical "master
    race" ideology which I find to be disagreeable.
    I do, however, appreciate his artwork.

I still think that if he were allowed to pursue
    his love of art it may have changed the course
    of history ... but who knows?

Here are a few samples of Hitler's artwork
    that we spoke about last night.

Your friend,

Richard

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hi Jeff, yes I read Mein Kampf many years ago. If you are interested in German History during Hitlers life time, here are 3 Must Reads:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

The Arms of Krupp

The 900 Days.

If you have the time they are worth your while!

r.

• JeffT
    JeffT

To restrangleds list I would add "The Coming of the Third Reich," don't have the author's name just now. It came out in the last couple of years.

I read Mein Kampf a long time ago. At the time my thoughts were best summed up by a critic: "I don't know why they didn't lock him in an asylum." The book mentioned above contains the answer, he was just saying what lots of Germans were thinking, post WWI.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx for the suggested reading - I just may do that - though likely I shall wait until winter to do so.

I agree that many in post-war Germany were like minded, though I doubt many concieved of the horrific attrocities that such mindedness in action would bring to the nation and world. In just reading the first couple of chapters, I find a compelling study in this man of the power of nationalistic worship [note I did not say patriotism]. His delusional future-view of the perfect society of German people is scary in it's matter of fact approach. Like the clinical approach to genocide he appears to suggest early on in the book.

Jeff

• greendawn
    greendawn

He was totally ruthless and strongly influenced by the theory of evolution and the survival of the fittest, it was natural for a powerful Germany to exterminate its weaker opponents without scruples because that is what happens in nature, in evolution.

That's why they didn't think much about killing large numbers of the physically and mentally disabled, Jews, Gypsies, Poles and Russians. Hitler was a madman though an ingenius madman.

• read good books
    read good books

Yes, and if you read the first 100 pages of 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich' it is exactly what's going on here in the United States. If you read these books please think about whats going on in America today. They are attacking free speech right now, Trent Lott, Newt Gingrich attacking free speech and the Constitution, in Britain Tony Blair wants a Chineese style internet, totally controlled, no more free speech, the internet is the last place where free speech is not controlled. The Internation Bankers who brought Hitler to power and finaced him control both of our Political Parties today Were literally in the last minutes of our Democracy unless Americans wake up and find out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit