Manure Question

by betterdaze 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

And here I thought you were serious, Rebel8. In my abundant spare time, I've been investigating living "off the grid". Such systems also include efficient waste management systems.

You got it, human waste composting.

http://weblife.org/humanure/chapter6_1.html

• rebel8
    rebel8

LOL jgnat, I know I'm pretty crazy but I wouldn't go that far!

But some day I am going to don a black mask and go around at midnight sprinkling wildflower seeds on all the abandoned lots I can find, so people will stop mowing them. I hate grass--it requires nonrenewable fossil fuels to mow. We are reducing our grass a bit this year and I am working on Mr. Rebel8 to let me reduce more.

"Don't worry about freezing temps"

Good info, AllAlong--thanks. I ended up buying a dark plastic bin with a tight lid and drilled lots of holes in the sides, along with a few on the bottom for drainage. It cost me $9 vs. $100+ for a special compost bin.

I filled it with shredded newspaper and veggie scraps. Supposedly it will take a month. Does it turn out like dirt or chunky like mulch?

Will it continue to break down in winter or will the cold preserve it until spring I wonder? I am also worried the moisture will crack the bin when it expands and contracts.

• juni
    juni

Leave it to Mary to Google manure - LMAO!

I always use AGED cow manure. Don't make the mistake of using UNAGED. Your plants will go yellow.......

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't have a garden, and therefore have no use for manure. I do have an African Violet and a Christmas Cactus that I inheirited from my mom. I could never get them to bloom until the past year when I started using Rocco's day-old water when I water them. There are bits of his food in the water, and the plants bloom very nicely now.

W

• JeffT
    JeffT

People around here swear by "zoo doo" If nothing else, elephants are good ...er producers.

By all means watch your PH, you can burn your plants if not careful. Used coffee grounds are also very good for plants.

• Gregor
    Gregor

All feces contain urea, a basic form of nitrogen. In this crude form it is an extremely unsuitable form of nitrogen for plant fertilizer. "Burning" is not so much acid as it is the plant being given a dose of crude nitrogen. The other undesirable effect are plants that shoot up with long stems, underleafed and few flowers (fruit).

It can, however, be a wonderful source of nitro if it is 'cured' properly. The easiest way to do this is to mix some manure in with the other organic material you are putting into your compost pile. By the time the organic material has composted the manure source nitro will have become much "friendlier" as plant food. And a little goes a long way. Plants are more lush and productive when they are "stressed" by a little underfeeding.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've heard good things about rabbit shit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit