BIG About.com on Dfing and "Fading"

by DannyHaszard 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

rock on skeletor!

alt

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

One thing I thought I should mention is that it may not be a good idea to copy the articles directly into the forum. A link to the web page, maybe with a paragraph cut from the article to show people what it's about, would really be better. I started to send Austin the link to see what people thought about the article here (to encourage him to let me keep doing it) but I didn't know what he would say about it. I'm guessing he wouldn't like that. The idea is to attract as much web traffic as he can, and that actually discourages hits somewhat.

Basically, he will be judging how well the articles were received by how many hits the page gets. About.com itself has some concerns about guest writers--especially in the atheist/agnosticism area which tends to drum up controversy--so the suits are also a factor. It would encourage them both to let me keep writing if people went to the site itself. This is kind of on a trial basis right now.

Just wanted to make people aware of that.

Thanks again for the comments.

IsaacJ

• Carmel
    Carmel

My personal experiance was that if I remained an agnostic (most JWs can't distinguish between that and atheism) I was one class of DF'd that was less tolerable than if I became a member of another religion. Kind of like in a divorce. You get another spouse and you're twice the villian. So my point is that shunning is not limited to those ex Jdubs that become athiests. carmel

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

One thing I thought I should mention is that it may not be a good idea to copy the articles directly into the forum. A link to the web page, maybe with a paragraph cut from the article to show people what it's about, would really be better. I started to send Austin the link to see what people thought about the article here (to encourage him to let me keep doing it) but I didn't know what he would say about it. I'm guessing he wouldn't like that. The idea is to attract as much web traffic as he can, and that actually discourages hits somewhat.

Basically, he will be judging how well the articles were received by how many hits the page gets. About.com itself has some concerns about guest writers--especially in the atheist/agnosticism area which tends to drum up controversy--so the suits are also a factor. It would encourage them both to let me keep writing if people went to the site itself. This is kind of on a trial basis right now.

Just wanted to make people aware of that.

Thanks again for the comments.

IsaacJ

Issac thanks as far as I know embeding the link page done above (tanking) DOES hot link and counts as hit someone more expert correct me if i'm wrong

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    shunning is not limited to those ex Jdubs that become athiest

You are right Carmel. Many of us have family members that simply faded - some (gasp) ended up marrying a worldly person and of course that means any good JW will push them further away..and yes they are shunned. There is no such thing as tolerance. There is a lot of talk about love but no action that backs it up. Disfellowshipping a person who belongs to a full blown hard core JW family, is a death sentence and we shouldn't mince words in describing the treatment afford those people. Doesn't matter why a peson is disfellowshipped or fades - the bottom line is that the punishment of disfellowshipping ruins people emotionally, mentally, physically and financially. sammieswife

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Thank you for that post. I left like this the first time. Then I met a JW and started dating her and it sucked me back in. Then I got picked off by those mother fuckers. Be careful out there. They are serious and will fuck you over without even feeling bad about it.

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2
    My personal experiance was that if I remained an agnostic (most JWs can't distinguish between that and atheism) I was one class of DF'd that was less tolerable than if I became a member of another religion. Kind of like in a divorce. You get another spouse and you're twice the villian. So my point is that shunning is not limited to those ex Jdubs that become athiests. carmel

Carmel, I just wanted to remind everyone that Austin's site is an atheist site. So all my articles will generally be directed at atheists, which is why I addressed the issue of fading the way I did. About's staff would give Austin a hard time for publishing the article if I didn't deliberately aim at atheists specifically. I definitely realized that fading isn't at all unique to atheists. Most of my articles should also interest believers as well, but to keep About happy, they will be addressed at atheists most of the time. I don't know if you've heard this before or not, but the distinction between atheists and agnostics depends on who you ask. The vast majority of atheists are agnostics by the common definition of these words. If you haven't heard this before, you might check here for a short explanation: http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutagnosticism/a/what.htm It can be confusing if you aren't familiar with this convention. But what ya gonna do? IsaacJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit