What did you like/hate about JW calendars?

by truthseeker 14 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

For me, every (other) Saturday was Magazine Day. The only marked date on the calendar was the Memorial.

The nature scenes were OK when they had a nature theme.

I think the calendar is too small, boxes not big enough to write in.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

The holidays weren't on them. If they would have at least put "national holiday" on them or something. I had to have a "worldly" calendar to figure out when I was going to be off of work.

• DJK
    DJK

I hated the artist depictions of paradise. The real pictures where the smiles are fake. No holidays or moon cycles.

And dad wouldn't let us write on it. Who wouldn't want to mark the last day of school?

• ninja
    ninja

on the 1950's calendars you could be bad and draw a beard on Jesus

• Emma
    Emma

The in-house, academic calendars where I work remind me of them; same background colors, same type. I still do a double take when I glance at them.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I found the spaces for each day to be too small to write what I needed.

In the early days, I liked the old testament type calendars. In recent years, while I was still active, there was a calendar which was about the early days of the JWs (late 1800s/early 1900s). It reminded me of PT Barnum and I actually felt it was insulting my intelligence. I tore the damn thing up and threw it in the garbage!

I can honestly say that just about then I started feeling like an absolute ass because I belonged to this religion.

LHG

• anewme
    anewme

Something would just never allow me to put them up on a wall. They were too corny, too religious or something for my taste. I felt bad about these private feelings I had. I stopped taking a JW calendar after a while, prefering store bought calendars with floral or garden scenes and national holidays posted so I could know when the banks were closed.

I was never one to wish to be identified as a Christian by obvious things like scriptural banners on the wall or calendars or books and magazines left out for viewing.

Mine was the quiet and mild spirit that identified the Holy women of old.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Here is something odd:

My memory of "things JW" is fading. I was trying to think of one "kingdom song" at work the other day and could not think of one.

The only thing I can remember about the calanders is the scene of Christians leaving Jeruselem after 67.

My JW association seems like it was decades ago and it has only been four and a half years. It is like a very, very bad memory.

However, when someone calls on our line off our site, the JW slang expressions come back instantly: like a second language...it is so wierd....

Take care all,

V

• Tristram
    Tristram

I hated when super-zealots had them hanging in the kitchen and had their service hours, placements etc. written down. Obviously trying to impress anyone who would chance upon it. Gag.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Dammit, I at least put my birth day on it...

"Or wait, my "Birth date" as i was told since Birthday was too wordly. Smh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit