"The Truth", who coined the term, when did it begin circulating in JW land

by Bob Loblaw 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garybuss
    garybuss

The term was the "present truth". It was shortened to just the truth over time. I can see it used by the second advent movement writers. It's been a while since I read William Miller's writings. He may have used it as well.

• 38 Years
    38 Years

I really hate that phrase too. It will always remind me of the Witnesses and being a dub. I don't know when it started, but it's gotten a lot of mileage.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    The term was the "present truth". It was shortened to just the truth over time.

Gary...Do you think maybe it was the transition period between Rutherford and Knorr ??

I have always been curious when the truth became...."THE TRUTH"

Do you remember when Jehovah's witnesses became Jehovah's Witnesses??

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

maybe it became popular during " the truth book" years.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

To me it's like hearing nails on a chalkboard. I dont think there is any other expression in the JW lingo that rubs me like these 2 words.

Even the words "Jehovah's Witness" dont make me want to hurl like hearing the words "The Truth",-- maybe because to me they are a totally ironic choice of words since 99.9% of what they teach is a lie.

Aint that something, a religion that teaches its members how to effectively lie has the gall to call itself "The Truth"

• Open mind
    Open mind

What I love most about being in "the truth" is all of "the friends".

• emptywords
    emptywords

Poztate...in 1931 Rutherford said bible students will be know as Jehovah's Witnesses, Is 43:10,11

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote:

Gary...Do you think maybe it was the transition period between Rutherford and Knorr ??
    I have always been curious when the truth became...."THE TRUTH"
    Do you remember when Jehovah's witnesses became Jehovah's Witnesses??

When I was an adolescent in the 50's the Witnesses would ask: "How long have you "had" the truth"? Then it was shortened to "in" the truth.

In the 50's the Witness spelling was with a lower case "w".

Think about the Witnesses as saying "in the RIGHT", instead of in the "truth". Because that's what they "mean". Witnesses are not really proud of "having the TRUTH", they're proud of BEING RIGHT!

Looking at why Witnesses think they have "truth" in the jumble of teachings and new teachings and old teachings brought back is confusing to them and to us. Instead look at why they think they have "right". That's MUCH easier! That answer is only one answer. It's the appointment of the organization as the channel. That's the one concept that underlies it all, and it's the one reason Witnesses think they have the "right".

• Gill
    Gill

It's funny how I only have to hear that phrase and it makes me want to spit!

There is a born again minister who lives up the road from me. I have now changed my route to school so as not to have to hear about 'the Troof' and how God directs his life.

Isn't 'The Truth' just an obvious sign of mind control and brainwashing and that a person is in a cult?

It is also extraordinarily arrogant. Don't know why but I can feel my blood pressure soar just at the thought of that phrase!!!!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Here's a quote from a lengthy, well-researched article that Danny Haszard referenced recently. It is well-worth the read, particularly to anyone interested in how the internet will lead to the ultimate demise of the WTS. The author presents his research dispassionately and objectively.

Unfortunately, science, for him, [C.T. Russell] was largely a matter of calculations and measurements. The crucial thing was the Bible's use of numbers. He became convinced that he had discovered the number system of Bible prophecy, and that the numbers tallied perfectly not only with the known events of history but also (oddly but happily) with the dimensions of the Great Pyramid, God's "stone witness" in the land of Egypt. He outlined God's plans in an elaborate and beautiful diagram, studded with symbolic pyramids, called the "Chart of the Ages." His mathematics demonstrated that history would soon culminate in God's restoration of the earthly paradise. And he started calling his movement the Truth. It was "Science . . . springing from the Word of God."

Here's the link to the rest of the article: http://libertyunbound.com/archive/2003_10/cox-truth.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit