J-dar?

by Mysterious 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

You've heard of gaydar what about J-dar? Do you seem to have the instinctive ability to detect when other JWs are present by subtle clues others around you miss?

I recently sleuthed out a male JW young adult living in our building. I saw him and 2 other young men in suits coming home about 9:30 at night on a weekday..that was tipoff one. He had a large briefcase in the backseat of his car..that was tipoff two. My boyfriend pointed out he also had apocalypse literature in his car (non-JW) in an attempt to argue against me. The next day there was an underlined Revelation book on the backseat...tipoff three. My boyfriend then tried to make a case against because him and his friends were discussing some rather violent video game title involving fantasy..recalling my time in I didn't think he made a good enough case. End result I win. We have confirmed JWs living in our building blarg. If I find a craptower shoved under my door we're going on a witch hunt.

At work the other day I saw a women in about her mid 50's early 60's dressed nicely on a sunday evening. I noticed she had a lapel badge...sure enough when she got closer to the register a campaign delegate. I felt strangely ill for about half an hour after that. The funny thing was from that far away her badge could have said anything but right away I knew.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Sometimes I get a strong feeling about people... from clothing and bookbags to conversation topics- but I've never gotten to find out.

-K

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

I can spot them a mile away...

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Any luck with ex-JWs rolling rock?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I have referred to it as dub-dar, and yes I have it. I can usually sniff out a JW in a crowd.

• free2think
    free2think

I can usually sense is one is near me.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I've pegged them a time or two. Here's how it works!

My nearly deaf mother and I, in the food-court area of costco on a Sunday afternoon.

she says "it's not fair that you have turned (girlfriend) and (daughter) against the truth. You should let me study with them so they'll know both sides, be fully informed, and make up their own mind"

I reply, loudly since she is nearly deaf, "since when is studying with a witless about being fully informed or knowing both sides? I thought it was about seduction, indoctrination, and control."

She scoffs, "see, you won't even let them try it to see if they like it"

so I say, "oh yeah, why don't I hook 'em on herion and get 'em turning tricks 'just to see if they like it' using that logic?"

She makes a snorting noise.

"look mom, if (daughter's) mom was a muslim, would you want me enrolling her in a madrassa and making her wear a burka just so she can give it a 'fair chance'?"

Well, that's different!" she responds, "we know that's a false religious system!"

"well mom, I just happen to know the same thing about yours, but I won't tell you why because they could disfellowship you for hearing my reasons. How's THAT for hearing both sides? So much for being fully informed."

Just then, a fellow sitting nearby in a dress shirt gives me a look that could peel paint. BINGBINGBING!

His wife, in a flowery dress, covers the ears of their daughter, BINGBINGBING!

J-Dar at work!

All you have to do is be a 500lb bearded, ponytailed, heavily armed, man in a wheelchair and they get all upset!

What?!?!

Was it something I said?

Roller

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Hey Rollerdave, when Amanda and I were still together, I used to love to go out to eat on sunday, and I would purposefully choose the non-smoking section hoping to be seated next to JW's. I would always say a few things here and there, and see what the looks on their faces revealed. I could usually tell who was a JW and who wasnt, even though it was a sunday and people tended to be more dressed up. I had alot of fun.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Junction guy,

Isn't it fun?

Being so flamboyant, I almost always have an 'audience' nearby and delight in having fun with them. Whether I am getting the stink-eye from anti-self defense types, or death glares for being so large, or vice versa, surruptitious nods of approval for my outspoken opinions, I just have fun and run with it.

Of course, as a carry-permit guy I am hyper aware of those around me and their demeanor.

Maybe this has helped my J-dar a bit.

Such fun!

Roller

• JeffT
    JeffT

The other day in the grocery store I was sure I spotted a dub and his kid. Man was in inexpensive suit pants - no jacket, slightly out of date non-flashy tie (poorly tied and not the right length); son (about 10 or 11) was in slacks, tie and button down shirt. Nothing they said or did in particular, but the style of dress screamed JW at me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit