Using School Assignments to Give a Witness

by Mysterious 22 Replies latest jw friends

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

The other way around is also possible

Last year I wrote a paper about the Tower of Babel and mythological colonialism in Jehovist/Yahwist texts.

This was basicly an analysis of how mythological space (such as the Babylonian ziggurat and the city of Babylon itself) is occupied and used for its own purposes (e.g site of rebellion) in monotheistic discourse.

Deus Mauzzim

• Tristram
    Tristram

I, too, tacked on the "Evolution is just a theory" conclusion to a paper I wrote in middle school. The teacher wrote "Please see me" on the paper and told me that she thought it was possible that God put evolution in motion, which made sense to me. I think I got a good grade on the paper.

In an astronomy class in college one of my essay questions had to do with evolution, and I think I was much more snarky, peppering my answer with "allegedly" and "so-called" and phrases like that. The professor didn't take too kindly to that.

• stapler99
    stapler99

I remember that I gave an anti-evolution talk to some of my classmates in my last year of school, full of mumbo-jumbo from the Creator book about RNA and proteins. My parents didn't pressure me into it, and I never told them about it. And it was a task I volunteered for. Looking back it seems that I was really keen but I was out of the religion in a few months time.

I think I did it because I didn't want my classmates being slain during the Big A. I felt that JW's were unlike other religions - instead of relying on blind faith they had actual arguments! (Bad ones in hindsight, but at that time I hadn't realized that the verisimilitude of a good argument is not equivalent to a good argument.) I thought that I could convince them with my excellent reasoning. Maybe the realization that they were not evil people just for thinking that I was wrong helped me to reconsider my opinions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit