The first murder - the concept of worship

by changeling 10 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

So, assuming the Genesis account is real, reliable and accurate, think about the first murder. Cain kills Abel. Why did he kill him? He was jealous. Why was he jealous? Abel's "sacrifice" was better than his. Who told him it was better? Who told either of them to offer a sacrifice? What made Abel's sacrifice better? Roast lamb smells better than cabbage?

It seems to me this bruhaha was about worship. Who told these guys to worship? Were Adam and Eve hung up on their original sin so they made their kids do penance?

Why does God (if there is one) want to be worshipped? Why do his gifts have strings attached? What ever happend to not knowing what the other hand does?

I'm a parent, if my children give me gifts, I don't compare them and pick the one I like best to make the other child feel bad. I'm just happy they thought to do something nice for me.

As a parent, I gave my children life and then did my best to meet all their needs. I'd like them to be appreciative of this fact and to treat me with love and respect. I also wish they live lives that are personally satisfing and that they help others (or at least not hurt them). But worship me??? What a riduculous thought!!!

So why does God want to be worshipped? Why does he reward those who get it right and punish those who don't (even if they are trying)? Is God an egomaniac? Did he create humans just to gets his kicks?

Personally I don't believe there is such a silly god. But I would like to know, who came up with this concept? Who conceived this pompous, egomaniacal creature who gave life and then laid down rules that require people to live and behave in a certain way, or else? Why did this bizare notion catch on?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Abel's "sacrifice" was better than his. Who told him it was better?

I always wondered how this came about. Apperantly Jehovah was a meat and potatoes kinda god.

purps

• cyrus
    cyrus

Well at least we know god is male.If god were female she would have been a meat and two vedge god.

• gumby
    gumby
    Who told him it was better? Who told either of them to offer a sacrifice? What made Abel's sacrifice better?

Jehovah did ya big silly. Doncha remember that he used to talk directly to the first pair? He prolly talked to their kids too.

Gumby

• startingover
    startingover

Questions like that make me realize how much surface reading I used to do when it came to the bible. For me, reading never used to be hard work, but now it is because I am acutally thinking while doing it.

• changeling
    changeling

Gumby: According to the WT, once Adam and Eve were tossed from the Garden of Eden, they lost direct communication with Jehovah.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Personally I don't believe there is such a silly god. But I would like to know, who came up with this concept? Who conceived this pompous, egomaniacal creature who gave life and then laid down rules that require people to live and behave in a certain way, or else? Why did this bizare notion catch on?

The same jerks who created the God who created work.

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I've read various articles about the whole Cain and Abel story that support a theory that the real lesson contained in it is one of lifestyle. Nomadic shepherds (rural and wandering) vs stationary farmers (urban). Depending on your level of cynicism and skepticism, that would mean the Cain and Abel story is purely propaganda designed to force people to accept the 'proper' lifestyle, or on a more benign level, more of a subconscience mindset they couldn't help but show in their writings.

Cities and/or civilization in the bible often are depicted as sources of evil, things to be destroyed. Sodom and Gomorroh. The whole world in the flood. Egypt and the 10 plagues. Jericho. The Tower of Babel. Don't forget, the whole world (again) at Armageddon. Cities = progress and civilization, lack of morality, ungodliness, etc etc. The 'righteous' in the bible are often just the opposite. It's often been said that "cleanliness is next to godliness", but it seems to me that the writers of the bible had in mind "countryness is next to godliness".

In my opinion, little has changed. Evangelical types today often spew their nonsense about the horrors of cities...San Francisco is often mentioned in connection with homosexuality. Recently, New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina-punishment of a vengeful god. The nickname of Las Vegas is Sin City...dunno where that came from, but it fits the theme.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Since humans supposedly weren't eating meat until after the flood, what the hell was Abel doing with a flock of sheep in the first place? How many itchy wool loin cloths does a guy need? Either he was eating meat or he had another use for the sheep.

W

• bigboi
    bigboi

AATWT's response is pretty much my take on the matter as well. The Bible was written by men who were decended from nomadic tribes who were often violent and detested the comparatively sedentary lifestyle in cities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit