What would happen if life was found elsewhere?

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

See JWs have said time and again Jesus died once for all time... A quote from Hebrews.

Okay rule out humn-like aliens what about animals plants and microbes... I once had a hot fight with an elder when I still believed that here was no reason to doubt alien animals etc. Yet NOT based on any WT article witnesses reject this often.

Lets suppose say in a month microbes are found on Ceres (I doubt it will happen but let's roll with it) They are living as much as our cells are and reporduce... okay what would MOTHER say in the magazines when millions of Jehovah's Witnesses demand to know why Jehovah created microbes on a dwarf planet?

Curious

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

I've been reading up on the Panspermia effect/theory so the possibility is not entirely illogical.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Most simply would not care. You'd see a small item on jw.org or in a magazine giving it some cult spin and that would be that.

Except perhaps for the minority of thinkers for whom this would be one more step in their awakening ... we need to look out for them.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

My stock answer any time people talk about how the discovery of ET life would affect religion:

Religious people have been ignoring scientific evidence that contradicts their beliefs for centuries. What makes evidence of ET life special that it would suddenly change things?

• Kanon
    Kanon
    Well if you think about it angels are extra-terrestrial intelligent life that exists. So why could there not be something else.
  • DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

Not much really. The Borg would just come out and explain that what they had had to say about life elsewhere was just in error. And explain that the bible is silent on the subject, but that they had just felt that it made since, being what the bible teaches about life here, and things that had happened, back in the garden.

Dwain

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Hera's something to think about ....

Astronomers estimate 100 billion habitable Earth-like planets in the Milky Way, 50 sextillion in the universe

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ Finkelstein:

"Astronomers estimate 100 billion habitable Earth-like planets in the Milky Way, 50 sextillion in the universe"

Unfortunately the majority of those planets would be in the core of our galaxy where stars are so close together that they could pull planets out of their orbit freezing them; increase cometary bombardment eliminating complex life from forming; and getting fried by novas/supernovas that are close by. Life might be very common but advanced life might not.

The book Rare Earth: Why Complex Life is Uncommon in the Universe has a good and very readable explanation of how this would play through. Highly recommended.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

What would be difficult to explain would be if intelligent life were proven to be on another Planet.

For Bible believers like the JW's this would contradict the words of Revelation, where the Devil is "confined to the vicinity of the Earth".

This confining would be totally unjust if intelligent life is elsewhere, as old Lucifer would demand a chance to have a go at them, after all , it is "Universal" sovereignty that is in question.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ Phizzy: "For Bible believers like the JW's this would contradict the words of Revelation..."

Maybe ET is one of the 144,000.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit