A check in... Anyone here from NORTHERN CALIFORNIA...?

by Kudra 34 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

No, it's not a bad idea. Depending on what time you go you'll miss the traffic and get to the city alot quicker. It's not a bad ride either but you won't get that great view unless you guys take a trip up to the Oakland/Berkeley hills.

PS Or what you could so is drive to Oakland by way of 580 so you can catch the view and catch Bart at the Rocklin station right off of 580 in Oakland.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Time is the most important thing. How long do you think it'll take to get from Squaw Valley, Ca (close to Tahoe City) to San Francisco? I looked it up on google and it seems to be about 4 hours. Do you have any idea if that's close? If we leave Tahoe at 6:00 that puts us there at 10:00. That was the plan...

Renee

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

That's about right...depending on the time of day and what day (a weekday will be worst than a weekend or course) there are alot of commuters going to SF from the Sacramento area on down to the East Bay. My advice: Leave out early!

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    My advice: Leave out early!

We planned to head there about 6:00 and leave the city about 6:30 or so ... Is that ok?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

If it wasn't July, I would have loved to be a tour guide for you :), but unfortunately I will be in the deep midst of a class I'm teaching that month. Might depend on the day of the week. Which day would that be?

• Quotes
    Quotes

I currently work for a company headquartered in Livermore, California. I travel to Livermore, on average, about 1 week per month. Any locals want to drop me a line on PM and I'll look you up on my next trip to the West Coast. ~Q

• monophonic
    monophonic

[Hey two weeks from today I'm going to San Francisco.

The plan is to fly in to Reno on Sunday about 12:00 noon and spend the night in Tahoe City. Then drive to San Franciso very early the next morning, spend the day and then drive back to Tahoe city late that evening. Then we'll fly back to Mississippi Thursday.

That said -- does anyone want to be a tour guide? LOL. I am so afraid I'm going to get lost in San Franciso!!! I am so not a big city gal!]

I won't be able to tour guide b/c i've cleared out the next four weeks to isolate and work on hopefully the last draft of my novel

One day in San Francisco, that's a tough one. most tourists miss the best thing about san francisco, the neighborhoods, but if it's your first time in san francisco, then there's the obligatory cable car ride, north beach area, walk to coit tower....or drive...north beach and coit tower (telegraph hill neighborhood) are walking distance, but be ready for steep hills. great people watching in north beach as well as bars. vesuvio's is a must, on kerouac alley right across from city lights book store, get that beatnik vibe...i think if i had one day in san francisco, i would avoid the cable cars b/c there's always a line..up to an hour or two... and stick to north beach, hike to coit tower before drinking, then head back down the hill and hang out at a cafe and ask locals where to eat...the bartenders @ vesuvios are cool and i know one also bartends in the mission district (which i'd say to explore if you had three days in san francisco)

fisherman's wharf and pier 39 is all tourists...if you find anyone from san francisco there it's b/c they work there or are begging for money and it's the same as any other city's tourist area, bad gift shops, tgi fridays to make the out of towners feel comfortable, etc. nobody who lives in san francisco goes there voluntarily.

parking is a bitch in north beach...coming from the east bay, i would say park your car at west oakland bart station (the local subway), and bart into san francisco, then get off at the first or second stop and grab a cab to north beach...it's also walkable and most people will give you directions if you ask...you'll be in the financial district/downtown and it's pretty safe.

washington square in north beach is a great place for a picnic or just to relax and north beach borders chinatown, which has a lot of cheap gift shops....and great chinese food and there are herbalists if you're looking for inexpensive supplements for anything health related.

if you want some bad ass illegal fireworks, chinatown is your place, just be discreet. ;)

if you end up hanging out late and want to go quirky, ask for directions to LiPo lounge or Buddha Bar, both hipster drinking establishments in chinatown that make san francisco unique.

• monophonic
    monophonic

great idea, you'll see my post above suggesting just that.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Redding Ca. here

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Renee

Hubby and I were talking and remembering what traffic is like in California around the Sacramento/San Francisco area and he suggested that you might want to wait a couple of hours to avoid the heavier morning traffic. There are a lot of comunters on the road starting around 5 am and it only get worst around the hours of 8 and 9 am especially when you get close to the Bay Area proper. Another hitch will be trying to find parking at the Bart stations. The parking lots will be full by the time you get there so you mostlikely will have to park on the street. I racked my brain and the only station I could think of that wouldn't be full is totally out of your way in Oakland. I think if you could start out a little earlier you might be able to avoid the parking problem.

Oh and another suggestion: take a sweater or a light jacket. San Francisco in the summer is not as warm as other parts of California or even the Bay Area. You might get lucky and chance upon a hot day but don't count on it.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit