What if she hadn't eaten the fruit?

by michael downing 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eclipse
    eclipse

Let me for a moment, believe that the Genesis account is true.

If it is true, and if there was a real tree that contained the knowledge of good and evil....(why create a tree simply for test purposes only?)

And the tree of life helped them maintain their physical minds & bodies so that they could live forever indefinitely.

God would not have created that tree for nothing...I do not think it was only for a test. I think it had a real purpose for being there. I think that over time, as Adam and Eve grew older and more knowledgable about raising children, gathering food, building shelters...or however they would live in the garden of eden as they expanded it's border.

I think God meant for that fruit to be eaten eventually by Adam and Eve once they were mature enough to grasp the knowledge they would then experience.....having full knowledge prematurely made them feel ashamed...so they hid. - like a child losing their innocence :(

That's my theory of ''what if'' she didn't succumb to the temptation....I think God would of let them eat of it eventually to gain knowledge at the right time.

And then Satan would not of won, Adam and Eve would of had the knowledge of Satan's existence (if Satan is depicted as evil) , so they would not be tempted to worship or follow Satan. Or, God would of kept satan in heaven, not letting him on the earth anymore to try and seduce their offspring because satan blew his one chance deal at getting humans to succumb to temptation.

That's my theory.

• minimus
    minimus

If you want to believe in doctrines such as 1914 and blood, who really cares about your question?

• choosing life
    choosing life

Hey Eclipse,

I like that theory. A different slant on things is always refreshing.

• golf2
    golf2

Eclipse, Adam BLAMED God, he said, "..it's the women YOU gave me."

Golf

• eclipse
    eclipse

True enough he did.

I didnt say all men, did i? i didnt mean all men...

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I find it interesting that after they ate from the tree God said:

"The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil"

Isn't this exactly what Satan had said would happen?

Eve was under the assumption that eating the fruit would kill her instantly. So both God and Satan were correct.

Satan said that you couldn't die by eating the fruit. That was true, the fruit wasn't poisonous.

God said that by eating the fruit they would die. It was the act of disobedience that led to their eventual death. Satan is called the father of the lie, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any place in the bible where he actually lies.

And as for why did Satan stop tempting Jesus? Because Jesus asked him to leave at Matthew 4:10. Keep in mind that Jesus was at this time surrounded by angels waiting to see the outcome of this temptation as is pointed out in verse 11. You could either say that Satan respected Jesus' request or he didn't want to get pounded on by a legion of angels.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    God said that by eating the fruit they would die. It was the act of disobedience that led to their eventual death. Satan is called the father of the lie, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any place in the bible where he actually lies.

Excellent point.

I can't recall where Satan lied either.

You could either say that Satan respected Jesus' request or he didn't want to get pounded on by a legion of angels.

I think it was a combination of both....

• BEROEAN
    BEROEAN

I find it interesting that after they ate from the tree God said:

"The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil"

Isn't this exactly what Satan had said would happen?

This is something that has always intrigued me and i've speculated about. My thought is the "fruit" actually contained something that caused a mental change over Adam and Eve. Like many other foods today that can have emotional, physical, or mental effects on a person. That would explain the question Jehovah asks them when they were hiding from him, "Who told you you were naked? From the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, did you eat?"(Gen. 3:8-13). Which would also show that Jehovah didn't "foreordain" their downfall.

The thought of them knwing Good and Evil meant that they would now decide for themselves what was right and wrong; independence from God, oppposed to dependence and instruction from Jehovah. Thus, "sin" (the selfish tendencies and emotions that dominates thinking today) crept into the world.

Shortly thereafter, we see a rapid decline in moral values. Murder, Idolatry, Ruthless killing, theft, ect. The depraved world had declined to the point that Jehovah spared Enoch from a horrible death by the hand of his enemies and euthanized him.

Eve was under the assumption that eating the fruit would kill her instantly. So both God and Satan were correct.
    Satan said that you couldn't die by eating the fruit. That was true, the fruit wasn't poisonous.
    God said that by eating the fruit they would die. It was the act of disobedience that led to their eventual death.

Pure semantics. This is similar to a parent telling a teen, "If you keep smoking, you're going to die." The child isn't going to keel over the moment his lips touch a cigarette. No, but the effects of lung cancer due to smoking would be the "effect". Thus, Adam and Eve were cut-off from the life-sustaining fruitage found in the Garden of Eden and they eventually died. Remember also, time, days, and speed to Jehovah is something we can't comprehend. The Bible says, "A day with Jehovah is as a thousand years." (2Pet.3:8)

Satan is called the father of the lie, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any place in the bible where he actually lies.

The first lie Satan told was emphatically stating, "You POSITIVELY will not die.". Are they still alive today? Did Satan lie about Job (Job1:11)?

And as for why did Satan stop tempting Jesus? Because Jesus asked him to leave at Matthew 4:10. Keep in mind that Jesus was at this time surrounded by angels waiting to see the outcome of this temptation as is pointed out in verse 11. You could either say that Satan respected Jesus' request or he didn't want to get pounded on by a legion of angels.

You could also say that Satan needed to regroup if he was going to prove true his claim that any human (even a perfect one like Jesus) would turn against Jehovah if the price was right. It does say at Luke 4:13 that Satan left until "another convenient time.". Satan didn't fear getting pounded. They knew their destruction was centuries into the future. Look at the evil committed by Satan and his demons since his rebellion in Eden: Raped and impregnated women in Noah's day, left their hybrid children and wives to die in the flood, Murdered Jobs children, servants, and physically abused him, and demonic possession of weaker humans to name a few. Other than that, you'd have us believe he's really a nice guy?

• eclipse
    eclipse
    Murdered Jobs children, servants, and physically abused him

...which was sanctioned and ok'd by God himself..

The children of Job were the only ones recorded being murdered by Satan. The god of the OT killed tens of thousands of humans.

Just stating a fact.

It seems easy to pin the term evil on a character who is called evil, but if god does the same thing, it's ok. I don't think Satan was a nice guy, but I think his reputation of evil far exceeding the things he actually was recorded of doing. Satan, to me, is a bitter child rebelling against his father. I wonder if the angel called Satan was sincerely sorry, asked for forgiveness, if it would be granted to him.

But I digress, I am going off-topic again.

• PEC
    PEC

God would have found another reason to kill, he loves to kill. He kills us because he loves us, typical abuser. Not worthy of worship. People need to find another book for their guidance, any from Dr. Seuss will do.

Philip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit