Feeling Special

by sweet pea 4 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Today in the UK is Father's Day. I bought a card for Besty from our two little baby boys. My two year old gave it to Besty this morning. Besty just said to me "do you know, I think that's the one thing that the Org has stolen from me that I will never get over - that feeling of not being guilty to feel special on Father's Day or my Birthday". I felt incredible sad but determined that time will heal and there is nothing wrong with feeling special occasionally. We should all make the extra special effort to ensure that everyone we know feels they are truly unique and special and the world would be a poorer place without them. Any of you guys identify with this? How long does it take to finally let go of those guilt feelings for celebrating what was drummed into you as being a 'pagan festival'?

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Couldn't have said it better myself. I helped my grandson get a gift ready for his dad and it made me feel great to see him enjoying it so much. **SIGH** We have indeed lost a lot of "normalcy".

But moving forward....

• free2think
    free2think

I agree with you completely Sweet Pea. Im glad you and your family had a great father's day though.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Any of you guys identify with this? How long does it take to finally let go of those guilt feelings for celebrating what was drummed into you as being a 'pagan festival'?

Oh yes. Birthdays and holidays all felt awkward, because they were so foreign to me (because I grew up JW).

For the first year or two I just went through the motions of enjoying them. As the saying goes "fake it until you make it". Singing or hearing "happy birthday" wasn't easy at first. But after enough faking it, I truly enjoy these special occasions -- mainly because it's about family and friends who care. THAT is the real meaning, and not some background about some ancient festival background from which any of these occasions may or may not have originated.

• changeling
    changeling

You're absolutly right. Having been raised in a strong witness family I can tell you from first hand experience that making others feel special and honoring their individuality and their unique place in the family is simply not done .

Now, exalting my elder dad above all else and deferring to his wisdom in all things, was always a must do. Being careful not to do anything that would reflect poorly on him and his position in the cong. was a way of life for us.

So here's a "happy father's day" from a daughter that makes her dad cringe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit