Should I talk to Joel Engardio on the phone? What would you ask him?

by Bob Loblaw 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw

So I met this girl last night whose best friend is best friends with Joel Engardio. I said that I would really like to talk to him and she said that she could get me his phone number and he would be happy to speak with me. I haven't seen the film "knocking" yet,...so I don't really know what I would discuss with him at this point. However, reading others threads about "Knocking, the first thing that comes to my mind would be to encourage him to make another film that is more critical and highlights the sexual abuses and tragedies of the ban on blood transfusions. What would you ask him?

• Gayle
    Gayle

That would be great! Though, I would suggest you see the DVD first. There is a "Mail it Forward" 'Knocking' DVD (free,just postage to mail forward) going around. If interested, email me & I will forward to the individual who has it now.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You could also ask how the gay community lack of support for his "Knocking" has
    effected him. They are displeased with the JW organization and don't like his
    film trying to normalize JW's, even though their beliefs on relationships and
    sexual preference is not part of the film.

• changeling
    changeling

The UN/NGO fiasco might be of interest to him.

• monophonic
    monophonic

yes, see the film first....just from the press notes i couldn't watch it.

i'd ask financing, exactly who financed the film and were any wits involved (save that question towards the end...filmmakers hate to answer financing questions, but in this case it's relevant.)

bring up homosexuality and let him know that every witness thinks he's going to die at armageddon and is bad association. even when they pretend to be nice, they're only hoping their 'niceness' makes him heterosexual, there's not a genuine concern for him if he's adamant about staying gay.

i don't think he was baptized and never had to go through a JC, etc. find some real examples where people have killed themselves out of guilt for being disfellowshipped and ask him why that wasn't covered....and let him know the wtbts washes their hands when they shun someone, even wrongly or if 'new light' changes, b/c as far as they're concerned anything that happens to a dfed person is b/c they no longer have holy spirit.

i would do research on brainwashing techniques, the constant pounding of the same info over and over is a form of brainwashing, as well as other things.

i was going to interview him, my wife asked me not to b/c it would affect her family if they saw the article since i was going to nail him...i would've watched the film, but can't bring myself to do it....except if we can figure some drinking games associated with it....like everytime 1914 is said take a shot. but if i was interviewing him, i'd have to suck it up and watch the film and get into his head before meeting him.

i'd rather watch a snuff film and interview a serial killer....no, both would make me want to vomit.

and, THE HOMOSEXUAL COMMUNITY should be PISSED at him for making this film. they should screen it @ the frameline film fest in SF, he wouldn't make it out alive....i consider it similar to making a nazi propaganda film after WW2 and being jewish.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would ask if the human rights and freedom of religion that the society fought for fiercly for, are extended to it's own membership and exited children of witnesses?

Some very good researchers (Leolaia and Casibalas) contributed some corrections to his background document on the PBS website. Would he consider incorporating their information to provide a more balanced view of the Witnesses?

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy
    and, THE HOMOSEXUAL COMMUNITY should be PISSED at him for making this film. they should screen it @ the frameline film fest in SF, he wouldn't make it out alive....i consider it similar to making a nazi propaganda film after WW2 and being jewish.

as a gay xjw I made a similar comparison in an earlier thread regarding his producing this documentary.

• Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw

Thanks everyone for your excellent thoughts and comments. I will definitely watch the film soon. Thanks Gayle for the heads up on the "mail it forward", but I am going to purchase my own copy. Unfortunately we (myself and Joel) live in different cities, otherwise it would be really nice to go out casually for a few beers and conversation and he would probably be more apt to open up on many of the above issues. So I don't know how cool he will be with answering such critical questions from a stranger over the phone. I guess I'll see if it comes to that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Dosen`t Joel Enguardio,Produce Gay Documentorys???..LOL!!..Is that Ironic or What?.....He`s not welcome as a gay person,in the WBT$ Cult the "Jehovah`s Witness`s"..But..The WBT$ was very "Co-Operative" in his positive spin,on thier Religious Cult,the "Jehovah`s Witness`s"..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• sf
    sf

Ask him when we can expect his registration here on this forum so that we may deal with him directly.

Good luck!

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit