new documentary film about Disfellowshipping - the anti - Knocking

by RubyParker 74 Replies latest forum announcements

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Ruby,
    Great project!

I too have a df'ing story that I may consider sharing. I'll email you.

I haven't read all the posts so someone may have pointed this out. In the US, we are supposed to have freedom of religion, and presumably freedom from religion. For former/df'd/da'd JWs there's a high price to pay for that 'freedom': they lose family and friends if they don't come back in the fold. And even inactive JWs can be shunned. Baptism is viewed as a binding contract with severe penalties for breach of contract. Considering how many JWs are forced into baptism under 18, this is particularly troubling.

To me it's ironic that the WTS was quick to go to court to get certain rights, e.g. the flag salute and right to preach door to door. However, they don't grant rights to its members to leave the group without nearly unthinkable consequences.

JWs claim df'ing is scriptural. From a biblical standpoint, there is quite a contrast from the way the prodigal son is treated vs. an 'errant' JW. An examination of the few scriptures JWs use to support df'ing reveal that the JW approach is not so scriptural after all.

Please keep us informed. I can't wait to watch your film! Good luck!!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Ruby

I understand if you do not wish to or do not have the time to post your story with us now. But I was wondering; without family support how were you able to go on to college and earn degrees? Does your family know what you have accomplished?

You have overcome tremendous challenges. Perhaps at this time you do not want to include your own story in the documentary, but at a future time I am sure it would be an inspirational story for many.

Do you have plans for sharing it with viewers on perhaps writing about it?

• besty
    besty

hi Ruby

Great idea and I wish you all the success in the world and for the therapeutic value for yourself and others that will come from this labour of love.

My wife Sweet Pea and I are attempting a Fast Track Fade - FTF! - basically announced we weren't going back - my aim is not to be DA/DF for family reasons, grandchildren access etc - both our parents are Witnesses and the DA/DF label makes life harder than necessary for them and us. It may or may not work out but thats where we're at right now. Its only been about two months so too early to claim success I feel. We have some contact with friends from the KH so we still have to be guarded about what we say to who about why we are not going back...

Anyway you mentioned looking for help with distribution? Through my line of work I have come across a company called Vividas who specialize in getting content straight from the production team to the customer via the Internet. This is done by creating a downloadable file which plays out at near-DVD quality in full screen on any Internet connected computer. They can also create an ecommerce element if you wanted to charge a few bucks to help cover the costs - and they can ship DVD's as well if you wanted to allow people to watch the movie online and also order a DVD for a permanent copy. Anyway drop me a PM if you want more details. Take a look at http://www.thesecret.tv/news_vividas.html to get a feel for what I'm rambling about here.

Best of luck!!

• penny2
    penny2

I'm looking forward to hearing your story, Ruby, especially how you coped and how you got to this point.

• IT Support
    IT Support

Ruby,

There's another angle you might find interesting.

I was talking to an xJW a couple of months ago who, many years ago, married a JW wife when they were both very young. After a few years he had an affair with a woman at work. He was disfellowshipped for adultery and his JW wife divorced him (there were no children).

His JW ex-wife is remarried and he eventually married the non-JW woman and they have been very happy together ever since. She was also of immense help in helping him readjust to non-JW life, and this included encouraging him to investigate the WT organisation, as a result of which he has no intention of ever returning. The thought of returning to a KH is repulsive to him. I suggested he could simply 'fake it' to get reinstated, and then just stop attending, but he said that would now be wholly incompatible with his sense of personal morality... That put me in my place!

The problem is that his brain-dead JW parents, siblings and extended family still strictly shun him, even though he's now leading a upstanding, moral life, has a well respected job and is a pillar of his local community. But there's absolutely no way he is now able to restore relations with his family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit