new documentary film about Disfellowshipping - the anti - Knocking

by RubyParker 74 Replies latest forum announcements

• RubyParker
    RubyParker

My name is Ruby Parker. I am 29 years old. I was disfellowshipped when I was 16, I have completed a Double Major in Anthropology and Religion studies. I am agnostic and I am a filmmaker. I am taking the next 12 months to make my first feature film, a documentary about religious shunning and disfellowshipping in particular.

I will be setting up my film's website shortly, and will then provide the appropriate links. I am hoping to interview multiple individuals who have been disfellowshipped - North American sources are helpful - but I would encourage people from all over the world to contact me if they are interested in participating or sharing their story.

I am hoping to articulate the pain and emotional suffering I have endured through other people's varied experiences, without making myself a subject in the film. In particular I am encouraging those who are:

a. thinking of leaving
    b. who have been disfellowshipped - particularly those at a young age like myself
    c. those who have been severely shunned by their immediate family and entire congregation/community
    d. those who have lost their children and/or spouses in the process
    e. mental health professionals who specialize or who have worked with those within this population
    f. those few grad students from different disciplines who have completed theses / dissertations related to this topic
    g. information regarding individuals who have committed suicide as a result of their being disfellowshipped.

Just like The Society, I am only interested in discovering the truth. I want to know why my entire family was ordered to shun me. I want to know why this incredibly harmful and emotionally abusive policy exists, and I want to communicate to the public why and how it is enforced, and what the psychological and emotional effects are for those involved. Each of us has our own truth -- what is yours?

I am not interested in labelling The Society any which way, I am merely interested in collecting the facts regarding disfellowshipping and presenting them as they are. The fact is that I lost my family, and I want others to know why and how.

Please help me to tell our story. With love, empathy and respect, Ruby.

contact me at: [email protected]

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's a brilliant idea this kind of issue is precisely what needs to be publicised in order to expose the real nature of the cult. I am surprised that no one thought about it before, I am sure a well made documentary on this issue will have a lot of impact.

Their shunning policy is too extreme and unjustified, I can understand them not wanting someone to be part of their org but to interfere in their family life in such a drastic way is totally unjustifiable.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Ruby, welcome to the forum.

If you use the "search" and then "google search" options on here, you can see many topics on this board that go in-depth on the WT Society's motive for disfellowshipping. Including this thread here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/121480/1.ashx

I was DF'd, and the way my JW relatives view it the only way I will come back to the "truth" is if they continue to shun me. So ultimately, in their view, it is the only loving thing to do. The organization has convinced them that their everlasting life is at stake -- and they would disobey "Jehovah" if they treat me normally. They hold this warped view of "love". Love for the organization trumps love for the family. Then the JW's object when they are called a cult. Go figure.

In reality, disfellowshipping dissenting members is a way for the organization to control and put fear into its members. It builds a wall between current and former JW's, with the intent that former JW's will be unable to share any realistic information about the Watchtower Society with their friends and family inside the JW's. The Watchtower gets to keep their influence, because they can limit the flow of information.

Best wishes on your documentary.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Brilliant idea Ruby. I was dfed at 16, 18 and 23. If I can be of any help please ask. i will be in North America, Texas at the end of the year, so if you want an English accent on there to show this is a worldwide enforced policy I'd be happy to be interviewed. Would want to see questions first etc etc..

• jgnat
    jgnat

Perfect. I don't think I can help directly. Let me know if you get a healthy response.

The worst treatment I receive as a Canadian "unbelieving mate" is that "let's-just-try-and-make-the-best-of-it- shall-we" neighbourly welcome one might get if one opened a group home next door.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Excellent!

About 1994, the Canadian Broadcasting Company made a documentary on shunning/disfellowshipping called "Children of Jehovah". It was heartrending. You might want to get hold of it.

AlanF

• gymbob
    gymbob

Hi Ruby!

Sounds like a great idea.

I was disassociated (another label) by the witnesses a few years ago, and lost my family and wife of 23 years to the Watchtower. Do you plan on saying anything in your documentary about people like me who just wanted to leave and are also shunned but not disfellowshipped? Gymbob

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

It honestly looks like you're putting together an expose rather than a documentary. A documentary should look at both sides impartially, but your request for experiences are only for those that have had a negative experience.

As confusing as it sounds, there are many that do return as result of the shunning. Some return to avoid the shunning, others return because they honestly feel that the Witnesses have the Truth and they praise their disfellowshipping as kindness that let them see the light.

The "documentary" Knocking was slammed by the apostate community by it's extreme favoritism towards witnesses. You need to ask yourself why are you making this. To find the truth? Then you need to examine both sides. Is it for closure? Then carry on.

But if you want to make something that might reach the hearts and minds of active witnesses, then you truly need to be objective. Examine both sides equally and let the viewer make up their mind.

If this is a YouTube quality movie shot with a retail camcorder, chances of it being seen by the average dub are slim to none. If you are putting a budget into this, there are many organizations that offer grants that might help you out as well as have it eventually picked up for broadcast.

Good luck with your production!

• Frank75
    Frank75
    Just like The Society, I am only interested in discovering the truth.

Ruby:

I applaud the idea of a documentary on shunning JW style. However I hope your method of getting at the truth will be anything OTHER than the way the Society deals with it.

Looking forward to it!

Frank75

• crashfire451
    crashfire451

Outstanding idea, Ruby. I wasn't disfellowshipped, but I was disassociated when I joined the Marine Corps. Oddly, no action was taken by the powers that be for the 5 years I was living 'in sin', it was only once I joined the armed forces that the organization chose to disassociate me...without first making any contact whatsoever with me. Since then I've naturally lost all those in my family who are JWs, including my father who was a Naval Officer before he found 'the truth' and resigned his commission shortly after I was born.

Don't know if my story would help at all, but if not there are thousands on this site alone with disfellowshipping experiences. Good luck with your film.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit