20 minutes....

by Scully 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Scully,

I lost my little sister to colon cancer when she was thirty seven. Per my Mom's request I gave the talk at her funeral...I still still a JW, then....did the best I could. I wish, for all of us, things had, were different. Empathy.....

V

• Mary
    Mary
    Scully said: To me, a 20 minute Infomercial seems so inadequate. It made me think of Star Trek TNG episodes when members of the Borg were killed in a shoot out. There was no mourning, no ceasefire. More Borg came to replace the fallen comrades, just stepping over the bodies before they got beamed back to the collective.

That's exactly what it's like hon. It's with good reason, we refer to the WTS as The Borg.

Does the WTS even realize just how repulsive this practice is?

Probably not and even if they did, they wouldn't give a shit. Since the R&F are technically "not really Christians" in the eyes of the "Annointed", they probably figure we're lucky getting any acknowledgement from them at all.

• willyloman
    willyloman

It's threads like this that make me ashamed I was ever a Witness. All I can say is that God (or whoever you think our higher power is, as someone said so well) must be much bigger than the Watchtower and, if She has any sense of justice, will one day hold these charlatans accountable for their actions.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Scully, sorry for your loss.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Scully, my deepest sympathies for your loss

I've been sitting here trying to think of something to 'say' that could even begin to relieve the pain you must be going though right now.

I cannot think of anything that can do that.

It's times like this when their cult behaviour really shows. My mum's funeral was the same, my uncle was fuming afterwards. He went to his sister's funeral to find himself at a sales meeting for the WTS. They showed her as much respect in death as they did in life - none.

May your friend finally rest in peace

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Scully,

Sorry for your loss. There are some real gems in the org and she sounds like one of them.

Snakes

thanks for posting this info....makes me sick to read it.

"Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness concering the truth. Good balance should be observed in this respect. Doctrinal points can be presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved...."Oh, and the last line: "The talk need not exceed 30 minutes." (underline mine)
  • truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

It seems like important moments like this really reveal the true heart of the organization. I feel very sad for the friends and family members who NEED to have closure and comfort, but are offered...nothing. The pain and indignation that is left must then be squelched deep down inside, with the thought that they are the ones having a problem, not the organization.

I was at a friend's Dad's funeral this week. He had been a lifelong Christian and involved in many different denominations, a true servant who was involved in many activities. The funeral was 1 1/2 hours, with lovely reflections by his brothers, son-in-law, a musical tribute by his daughters, letters of love on display written by his grandchildren. It was a wonderful time of reflecting on his life and expressing the love and gratitude that we all felt for having known this special man. We sang his favourite hymns, there was a gospel quartet that sang about heaven, and a Scottish bagpiper to play Amazing Grace. At the graveside, we sang some acappella hymns, reflected on the resurrection, and then the family placed roses on the casket as it was lowered. The grandchildren were sobbing loudly--there was not a dry eye to be found. The pastor was full of comforting words for the family and friends. The extended family spontaneously drew together in a circle around the graveside with arms clasped around each other in a giant "group hug". These are the memories that will stay with the family for years to come...

Scully, I am sorry that your friend's family was denied the chance to celebrate the life of the one that they loved.

Cowboy, I am speechless! How sad for your family. I really find it difficult to comprehend the unloving and unconsiderate actions of that elder. I hope that you were able to grieve and say your goodbye to your grandpa privately.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

(((Scully and Friend)))

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

And...lemme guess....18 minutes of it was about the preaching work and the kingdom.

BP

• unique1
    unique1

((((((((((SCULLY))))))))))) You have my deepest sympathy. Take care of yourself and have a little memorial of your own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit