Saviours of the world?

by fullofdoubtnow 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I just read this really interesting article about similarities between the various saviours, or messiahs that are said to have walked the earth, most of them appearing long before jesus supposedly emerged.

http://www.gardinersworld.com/content/view/164/1/

I don't personally believe that jesus was the son of god, or that he came to die for all mankind, but I kind of believe he may have been a historical figure with a certain amount of charisma, an ancient version of modern-day cult leaders like Jim Jones and David Koresh. It seems that throughout history people from various cultures have always believed in messiah-like beings who had very similar lives, and deaths, to jesus, and had "come" for a similar purpose. Here's an extract from the article

Messiah (Comparisons) So there are many similarities between the various "messiahs" that the world has known and it is my view that they all emanate from one original and serpent cult source. We have seen above some groundwork from the realm of Hindu and Buddhist belief. We can see the beginnings and origins even of some of the more peculiar and even profound things we find in our Christian Messiah in the West. Let’s just take a look at some comparisons now and see what sticks out like a sore thumb! Buddha was born of the virgin Maya who was known as the ‘Queen of Heaven’ on December 25 th . Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary, also known as the ‘Queen of Heaven,’ on December 25 th in a cave or manger. Horus was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on December 25 th. Isis-Meri is also known as Mata-Meri or Mother Mary. Mithra was born to a virgin on December 25 th and in a cave or manger; also announced by a star and three wise men. Chrishna was born of the virgin, Devaki (shining one). This goddess or ‘Queen of Heaven’ is known as Isis, Astarte, Asherah, Marratu, Marah, Mariham. In fact the Semites knew her as Mari-El or Mary God or indeed shining Mary. Chrishna’s most beloved disciple was known as Arjuna or Ar-jouan (John.) In Egyptian myth, Anup or Aan (John) the Baptiser also baptised Horus, and in Christian myth John baptised Jesus. Both Anup and John the Baptist were decapitated. Buddha performed miracles and healed the sick, as did most of the others. Horus had twelve disciples like Christ and Mithra. Buddha was transfigured on a mountain like Christ and Horus. They all ascended into heaven. Buddha was sacrificed for three days and was then resurrected like Jesus. Horus was crucified, buried in a tomb and then resurrected. Mithra was buried in a tomb and then resurrected three days later. Chrishna was crucified between two thieves on a tree, then rose from the dead and ascended to heaven – as did Prometheus. The idea of being resurrected after three days has strong links to astronomy. The stone monuments of the world are also linked to astronomy and the serpent. The 12 disciples are the 12 zodiac signs and months and of course, the snake, seen as the Ouroboros is in control of the signs – just like Christ, who controls and guides the disciples. But the snake is seen, not just in control of the stars, but also as the sun and the moon – basically, the serpent is seen as the most powerful of the cosmic entities.

There is a lot more to the article. Although it is acknowledged that if jesus did exist, he wasn't born on Dec 25th, it's easy to see where the idea came from originally. I used to believe, during my time as a jw, that the appearance of the true messiah began and ended with jesus, though I knew that others after him had claimed to be the messiah, as the bible said they would. I didn't know that messiah legends had existed for thousands of years before jesus had been born. I don't recall the bible saying too much about them.

• juni
    juni

I didn't know that either Linda...... interesting. I do feel that Jesus was a historical person, but with all due respect to others here at the forum, the jury is out as far as his godship (for me).

After leaving the JWs I have a hard time w/trusting "religious" beliefs.

Juni

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

When you start looking for each individual character in reference books (or even Wikipedia) the list of "parallels" suddenly becomes way less impressive. The differences exceed the similarities by far, and the strongest parallels usually come from the very late Antiquity (4th-5th centuries AD) when mystery cults using different traditions clearly influenced each other -- including Christianity.

• Mum
    Mum

Have you read anything by Joseph Campbell? In case you don't know who he was (as he is now deceased), he was a professor at a small women's college who was probably the world's greatest authority on mythology of different cultures. He used to be on PBS when they had fundraisers, and I could have listened to him non-stop. He wrote books, of course. I think the one that comes to mind relating to your post is called Hero with a Thousand Faces.

Yes, there were many hero figures who all had certain things in common. Christians don't have anything as special as they believe.

Regards,

SandraC

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Im wondering if these stories are really that old, or if maybe they were written after Jesus, as a copycat to christianity?

• eclipse
    eclipse

I'm betting, and I'm not a gambler, that the messiah stories from Egypt, Asia, India and so forth, predate Christ's entrance on Earth by at least a few centuries, if not millenia.

I too believe that Jesus did exist and walk this earth, but as far as his godship...that I am very doubtful of.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Eclipse:

I'm betting, and I'm not a gambler, that the messiah stories from Egypt, Asia, India and so forth, predate Christ's entrance on Earth by at least a few centuries, if not millenia.

You'd win your bet, the ones in the article, and a few others, do predate jesus' appearance. That's the point really - I would think most Christians would claim that jesus was the only man in history born of a virgin, yet this article says otherwise. The idea of a messianic figure being born, walking the earth for a short time, dying a cruel death and being resurrected a few days later didn't originate with Jesus Christ. I don't believe in the idea of a messiah who died and was resurrected myself., but ancient writings point to Buddha, Chrishna, Horus etc having existed. I don't believe that they were the result of a miraculous virgin birth, but I don't believe Jesus was either.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    the messiah stories from Egypt, Asia, India and so forth, predate Christ's entrance on Earth by at least a few centuries, if not millenia.

Define the concept of "Messiah".

Then ask yourself where and when did this concept first emerge in the world history of beliefs.

Then see whether it is intellectually honest to apply this concept to the huge mix of gods, demigods, heroes, godly men, prophets, sages etc. offering wildly different forms and ways of "salvation" to their audiences...

• eclipse
    eclipse

I was wondering that just now Narkissos...I am not an avid history student, though I am willing to learn...

The concept of messiah..I will have to do my research, unless you already know the answer, and from reading your other posts, I believe you do.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    Define the concept of "Messiah".

Messiah means "anointed one" I believe.

Maybe Buddha, Mithra, Zoroastra etc, weren't called messiahs, but the article suggests similarities between their stories, in particular their death and resurrection in some cases, baptism in others, and the way they were taken to heaven, to that of Jesus. It suggests that there is nothing unique about the bible stories of Jesus miraculous birth, death or resurrection. Personally, I believe that all these stories, including that of Jesus, concerning virgin births, resureections etc are fictional, but I suspect that most Christians would believe that the Jesus story is unique, whereas the articl I posted suggests that there are parallels to it written long before Jesus was reputedly on the earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit