How Important Is It For Both Of You To Have The Same Beliefs?

by The wanderer 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ninja
    ninja

my alter ego and I have the same beliefs.....and so do I....and me....I am spiritual siamese twins.....the 3 of us...or is it 4?

• brinjen
    brinjen

My partner and I share the exactly the same religious beliefs. I say religion is a load of s&!t, he agrees with me

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

That is my struggle right now. I don't know how my awakening is going to affect my already troubled marriage. He attends meetings regularly and has had a Bible study for years. Never "ready" to make the commitment to get baptised. His parents are in the cult and I am on my way out. I love my husband but he has a commitment issue with marriage too. I've always been the one to push for applying what we've learned to our situation and now he tells me that the GB are imperfect men and to "wait on Jehovah". Funny that I've been able to talk to him about my "concerns" even though we talk very little these days. I used to believe you had to agree on everything of importance, now I'm leaning toward a "live and let live" viewpoint.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Having the same beliefs will certainly make it easier. However, if you have respect for each other and honestly consider each other's feelings in all matters, not just religion then there's nothing a couple wouldn't be able to work through.

• bythesea
    bythesea

Good Morning, Wanderer....another good question from you!

At this point I'd have to answer that by NOT having the same beliefs any longer that it is having a detrimental affect on my marriage. Altho it is just my belief system internally that has changed, and not much outside is different(I even still go to some meetings), my hubby feels I have created a divided household. I don't feel it necessary for us to share the same beliefs, but he does. While I no longer believe much of what the JW's teach I still will live my life with christian values and I have a renewed appreciation for being alive and for the Creator. I sometimes see him as being religious and me being spiritual, but not sure if the real definitions are accurate. I'd be happy with him remaining a JW if he'd quit trying to make me be one again too!

I will be interested in reading all the responses to this question! Thanks for posting it!

Bythesea

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Comfort level around a person is very important, especially in a close relationship. If I were starting over now, I'd say I demand someone be ok with me being me, including my lack of belief in all things diety. I could care less if he was Catholic, especially since everyone Catholic I've ever known do not even attend religious services anyways. Further, athiest or agnostic would be preferable, because some of those same people who don't participate in their religion of choice, pray or even mention anything toward it, still do not hesitate to shove God down non-believers' throats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit