Manufactured Blood (UPI News article) -- Would it pass Borg Approval?

by SnakesInTheTower 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I just ran across this on UPI (United Press International)

So the question is: would the Borg/GB/Legal consider this blood or an organ transplant, since it comes from cultured stem cells?

SnakesInTheTower (of the Curious Sheep Class)

http://www.upi.com/Security_Terrorism/Briefing/2007/06/11/pentagon_seeking_manufactured_blood/4749/ I have copied it here in hopes in case it disappears:

Pentagon seeking manufactured bloodPublished: June 11, 2007 at 4:39 PM
    WASHINGTON, June 11 (UPI) -- The U.S. military is looking for a way to create a blood supply without relying on human blood donors.

Eighty to 90 percent of combat deaths occur within an hour of wounding, and at least 50 percent of those die because of severe blood loss. The treatment for uncontrolled bleeding is the administration of red blood cells, plasma and platelets or their substitutes, according to the U.S. Army Combat Casualty Care Research Program.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is beginning a program this month to grow Type O negative -- universal donor -- blood outside the human body for combat casualties.

The need is great -- at least 16,000 troops have been severely wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan and many need additional blood.

The program would develop an automated progenitor cell-based culture system to produce red blood cells of a normal structure and function. Scientists proved they could recreate mouse blood from mouse bone marrow stem cells in 1999, but generating large amounts of a particular type of human blood ready for transfusion is a far greater challenge.

The military is also looking into ways of extending the shelf life of donated blood for use on the battlefield.

Blood products are temperature sensitive, making them difficult to maintain in austere environments like Iraq and Afghanistan. Red blood cells last only six weeks under constant refrigeration and shipment at 1 to 10 degrees Celsius. Plasma is supplied frozen and must be maintained at -20 degrees Celsius and must be shipped with dry ice; it has to be thawed and refrigerated before use. Platelets have just a five-day shelf life. They must be maintained at 20 to 24 degrees Celsius with constant gentle agitation.

© Copyright 2007 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    United Press International, UPI, the UPI logo, and other trademarks and service marks, are registered or unregistered trademarks of United Press International, Inc. in the United States and in other countries.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Can't believe no comment yet! This is really cool and raises interesting questions.

Blood is forbidden by the WTS because the LIFE is in the blood.

Whose life is "in" manufactured blood? Whose life does it represent? Physically, it's blood. But it did not come out of a living being.

Yes, it was derived from bone marrow stem cells from a living being. Does this mean the blood produced should be considered as if it was produced in the stem cell donor's body?

If that is the case, then why is it acceptable per the WTS to get a bone marrow transplant? Where a donor's bone marrow stem cells produces blood in the transplant patient's own body?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

The GB will have to give it due consideration "under prayer" and determine what "Jehovah's Will" is on the matter.

Isaac

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

truthsetsonefree:

The GB will have to give it due consideration "under prayer" and determine what "Jehovah's Will" is on the matter

definitely tongue in cheek that comment!

no other takers??.... I thought for certain this would get a couple more hits...

SnakesInTheTower (of the Disappointed Sheep Class)

• watson
    watson

Google "hemopure." This has been in the works for some time. Testing etc. Society has approved it's use (Sacramento case), even though it's base makeup has to do with bovine blood. You can buy stock in the company that is making it.

• choosing life
    choosing life

They just keep getting backed into corners with this blood thing, don't they?

Who knows what convoluted reasoning they would use if this became available? Whatever it was, I am sure I could not follow it.

Interesting article and question.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Watson:

Society has approved it's use (Sacramento case), even though it's base makeup has to do with bovine blood.

I had heard of the "hemopure" I attended an HLC (hospital liason committee) meeting as a member of the PVG (patient visitation group) and this was discussed. I remember scratching my head thinking: "blood is blood isnt it?"

but then again, "new light" becomes "old light" and "old light" gets recycled into "new light"... I like recycling, but hell, thats taking reuse a bit far.....

SnakesInTheTower (of the "Still scratching his head on this one" Sheep Class)

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I think the GB's leanings now are to liberalize the blood doctrine as much as possible. Not that they really want to, but I'm sure their lawyers have made them well aware of the consequences of continuing a hard-line stance on the issue. I think any new technologies that are developed, short of taking whole components of blood, will be a considered a conscience issue. Personally, I think the society wishes the blood ban had never been instituted. Now they are really up sh*t creek trying to figure out a way to get around it without doing a complete about face. The blood doctrine is giving them a lot of negative PR, is opening them up to potential monetary liability, and is providing an obstacle with the government in many foreign countries.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Snakes...

Thank you for posting that. Science is moving at light speed, while the WT walks at the same pace as the goat-herders that wrote the Bible. Sooner, than later, I think most JW's will see the GB & their lawyers are BS 'have beens' and walkout.

*This, of course, apparently does not apply to my JW relatives.

• sir82
    sir82

I sometimes wonder if the reason the Society clings so tenaciously to the blood ban is the perception that humanity is close to having some sort of "artificial blood" (hemopure, etc.) ready for use, making blood transfusions obsolete.

"If we can just hold out until there is a truly effective artificial blood substitute, we'll never have to rescind our stand on blood transfusions, and come out smelling like a rose."

Pure utter speculation on my part, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit