New date for Armegeddon???

by DawnLS620 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DawnLS620
    DawnLS620

Hi All,

I must have missed this on my travels thru different X-dub sites, but I think I read something on here about their "new light" regarding the timing for Armegeddon. Since its been over 30 years since 1975, how do they predict Armegeddon now? What do they tell new converts regarding the 1975 debacle? Having lived thru it, but leaving a few years after, I've never heard what their new interpretation is on this subject? If there's a web site with this info. . .just direct me if its easier.

Dawn

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Right on this forum I have been hearing that Armageddon is coming "within the next few days or few weeks". They have been bumbling this out since last fall, when the tract was supposed to bring on the Great Tribulation (and it didn't). Then they were saying that the Crapmorial of 2007 would be the last (of course, they have the Craptower split into Showcase and Kool-Aid editions starting January 2008). Now they are pushing the date, suggesting strongly that it would happen in June (we'll see about that one when July gets here and we are still not in that new order).

The most specific I have seen is June 12. This is highly reminiscent of other cults that set a specific date, that date comes and goes, and the Witlesses laugh at them. For sure, when June 13 gets here and no Armageddon, us apostates will be laughing at the Witlesses (and that's this coming Tuesday). Either way, I am sure we will be here to celebrate the Fourth of July without Armageddon. And I have been spending much time and energy preparing to decorate for Christmas, knowing that I will probably still be awaiting their Tribulation.

• DawnLS620
    DawnLS620

So now they are actually setting exact dates???? Wow. . .when the 1975 timeline came out. . .they were at least careful not to give specific dates. . .you know. . ."the time and hour no one knows" stuff. I'm shocked that they are actually setting exact dates. Where did you get your info? May I ask?

Dawn

• dust
    dust

The June 12 date was not proposed by the WT Society, but by another organisation called House of Yahweh. The two organisations are not affiliated with eachother.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

2034 is the strongest date the WTBTS has "hinted at" Noah like work , 120 years ; 1914 +120 years = 2034

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

There haven't been any new dates set that I'm aware of. This is how I remember it. They've relied on very strong "suggestions" of when the end might come. After 1975, the other major card they still had in their hand was the generation card. The teaching that people that were old enough to remember the events of 1914 would still be around during Armageddon morphed into the teaching that people that were simply alive during 1914 would be alive during Armageddon. They used a scripture that said that a generation is 70 to 80 years to lead people to believe that the end would not come much later than 1994 (80 years after 1914). Of course, they never specifically said that end will come before 1994, but any JW with half a brain could do the math themselves and figure it out. There was actually one magazine that actually said that the end would come before the end of the 20th century. They later changed that in the bound volume edition. Apparently, it was an "oversight" by the teaching committee.

Well, 1994 came and went and nothing new happened. The next year, 1995, they came out with "new light" remaking the generation teaching. They said that the generation that Jesus talked about in Matthew 24 was not one of these 70-to-80-year generations but rather a more generic generation that amounted to an era. They reinforced that the end was still very near, but we could no longer say that the end would happen 70 to 80 years after 1914 (duh, it was 1995 already). The generation teaching is virtually meaningless now and is seldom ever brought up in the publications anymore. I think this let the wind out of the sails of a lot of JWs that were paying attention. Many publishers didn't have any idea that that Watchtower study was really significant.

Ever since, the Watchtower has been reminding everyone of just how close the end really is. They publish articles that use other ways of "proving" that Armageddon is just around the corner. For instance, they'll say stuff like the book of Daniel lists 7 world powers and we're living in the last world power listed, so the end must be near. Daniel talks about the eighth king that would rise for a short time, which they interpret to be the UN, so the end must be near. What's lost on a lot of witnesses is that the Watchtower makes up the rules about how to interpret these prophecies, so they aren't really proof of anything. They could change the way they interpret them tomorrow to "prove" something entirely different. A lot of witnesses, in my opinion, began to sense that they were really in it for the long haul and began doing things like getting an education, saving for retirement, etc. In response, there have been a lot of talks vilifying higher education. There has also been a big push by public speakers at assemblies giving the impression that the end is just around the corner, days or weeks away. There was a Bethel speaker that put his notes down and said that he was going to have a heart to heart with the friends to tell them that he knew how the governing body felt and they felt that Matthew 24:14 had been fulfilled. These tactics are more effective because there's no embarrassing paper trail left when they turn out to be wrong. They can just blame some overzealous brother.

I hope that helps. That's my recollection of how things have unfolded.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I was just pondering as I exited another post and came into this one, I had a thought, a revelation if you will. With them streching it to make it seem as if the preaching work was done and now claiming that the end is mere weeks away instead of years. Do any of you think they will say that the new system has arrived? Think about it, they can say that gods new system came in just as christ presence did invisibly. They can say that the 1000 year reign will begin with gods last outpouring of mercy for sinners to see the light( lord knows his using the witnesses hasn't worked.)

I know this does away with the whole armegedon thing and the death of 99% of the worlds population, but they manage to save face and be right(which of course what really matters.)

• Gill
    Gill

It's always coming Soon, Very Soon, any time now,. The 'Storm Clouds of Armageddon' are constantly a gathering and the Rumbles of destruction are always on their way Soooooon....Very Sooooooon!

Sigh!!

The Souls of the average JW who has missed college, work, children, a 'life' are broken and burdened. And if it took Noah 100 years to build that blooy Ark, then we should be dead, possibly around, maybe anytime about 2014.

I hope to live to seen 2014 come and go. Whether I'm here or not is neither here nor there, because 2014 is not so very far away and I KNOW at 99.999999% certainty that there will be NO Armageddon!

Another specualted date is 2035....and you know what? I'm 99.99999% sure there will be no Armageddon then either.

What a sad bunch the apocalyptics really are!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

These tactics are more effective because there's no embarrassing paper trail left when they turn out to be wrong. They can just blame some overzealous brother.

Anybody else they would DF them fror running ahead of Jahs Chariot like organization

• DawnLS620
    DawnLS620

Thanks "never ending journey" and everyone for your comments. I've always wondered about this. . .how they keep people interested and controlled with the proper fear that the big A is right around the corner. I think I remember reading that there were thousands of dubs that left the organization after 75 came and went. I think I've also read, or maybe it was talked about on the last group I was on (philia) that the society tried to say they never indicated that 1975 was the year. If that's the case - that's total crap!! Those of us older ones on here remember well. As a kid, I remember by dad picking me up from my part time job one day, and there was a terrible storm. . .very black. ..lots of lightening and thunder. .. and having a look on my face of terror and my dad saying, "are you thinking Armegeddon is here"??? I think I was. . .how he knew what I was thinking amazed me. Guess he thought he had taught me well. I was on one of these sites and reading different posts (don't remember which one) but there were younger people stating that "the society never said Armegeddon was coming in 1975 - it was all witnesses who read that meaning into it". I was dumbfounded that these younger witnesses had no idea what went on back then. They must pretty well try to keep those predictions hidden from new members so as not to discourage them.

Dawn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit