WHAT would YOU do? Teen issues.....

by onlycurious 35 Replies latest jw friends

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I guess if you want to deal with an out of control teen then counting to 10 is ok. I don't have time or the energy to wait until the age of 20 for them to get a grip!

Some back talk is expected, but why deal with your child hitting you from and early age until the are grown?? Spanking does not teach violence! When a 3 year old smacks you that's when you smack them back and say don't you ever hit me again! You don't wait until they are teenagers to teach them that hitting or kicking a parent or any other adult is ok!

IMHO (of course opinions are like A** holes, everyone has one and they all stink). I don't expect for 90% of this board to agree with how I view disapline, but it worked for me. I don't deal with unruly children and I have a great relationship with my two younger children. The only one that has a problem is the oldest who is bipolar and was subjected to my parents raising him in the BORG!!! You can read my other posts if you like about his emotional issues!

nj (of the I refuse to allow my children to disrespect me class)

• Nellie
    Nellie

Biscous - Maybe I need to clarify for you my stand. I don't endorse boxing matches with children - but I would not stand there and let anyone hit me - especially my child. The rules are simple:

1. You cannot disrespect me - EVER. You will be called on this each and every time you do. Eventually, repeated breaking of this rule will affect our relationship - and you want me as a friend.
    2. You cannot hit me - EVER. If you hit me - I will beat you down! Plain and simple. This goes beyond disrepect - will never be tolerated and I will hurt you.

My 12 year old had developed the habit of saying "Oh my God" whenever he was told no about something. After months of correcting him on this and "reasoning" with him - he did it again - in front of my peers (and the straw broke the camel's back). I was sitting behind the wheel of my car - he got in the front seat and . . . WHACK! I backhanded him right in the kisser! One hit - one time - guess what - problem ended - he got the message - DISRESPECTING ME COMES WITH CONSEQUENCES!!! Now, when his little sister starts whining when I tell her something - he says to her "Don't do that. Go do what Mom said." The shame is he didn't heed his older brother's warnings!

It's been a month now and he's good. I'm fairly confident that it'll be a while before he'll need another reminder. By the way, I can't remember the last time I hit him (for anything). These lessons tend to last a while!

• Scully
    Scully

It's soooo hard, but the thing that works for my potty mouthed teen is to IGNORE HER when she starts talking like that. One blue word gets a very calm warning: "Please stop swearing. I can't have a conversation with you if you are going to talk to me like that." If another one comes out of her mouth, I just calmly say "When you are ready to speak to me without swearing, we can talk again" and then quietly get up and leave the room. Do not engage in conversation until she is prepared to do so in a calm, polite, respectful way.

They can't explode when there's no fuel. If you get upset and hit her, it justifies to them that they can yell and scream and hit and get a reaction out of you. Do not give them the satisfaction of a reaction.

They want you to get angry with them for swearing. They want you to add fuel to the fire. They want the confrontation to escalate. They get an adrenaline rush out of it, like a drug fix. It makes them feel powerful to make you lose control. If you remain calm, you do not lose control.

Things that teens value at this age are independence, money, control, money, computer access, cell phone access, money, access to friends, money, recognition (feeling valued), and money. Find out which of these things she values most, and offer to work with her to help her acquire the things she values.

If she loves having friends over for sleepovers, give her a goal: When we can have conversations for a week without her swearing at you, then she can have a sleepover. If she likes buying her own makeup or renting movies or buying CDs, buy a $10-20 gift card for her favorite store and tell her she can have it if she goes a week without swearing at you. If you want to work on a more long-term goal, a month's worth of freedom from her potty mouth can earn her a trip to her favorite shoe or clothing store. If you think she's mature enough to handle it, tell her she can earn a pay as you go cell phone for her next birthday if she can go six months without swearing at you.

I also think that there's a difference between a teen simply using swear words in conversation and using those words as weapons to assault another person. I will not allow language that constitutes a personal attack or an insult. If they use common expressions like "that's $h!tty" or "that's f***ked up" I will say that I prefer that they don't use language like that, but I don't make a huge issue out of it. I appeal to their vanity, and say "It makes you appear so much more mature when you can get your point across without using that kind of language." However, when they start insulting people with those words I draw the line and they know they will have consequences.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

That true Nellie,

I can't remember the last time I've had to smack one of mine!! I've had to give them the look, and that takes care of it.

When you start early, you don't have to do it forever!! When your baby is one and they smack you across the face and you think it's cute, they will do it again and again. It doesn't bother you until they become as big or bigger then you wonder why they are acting this way???

nj

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Some back talk is expected, but why deal with your child hitting you from and early age until the are grown?? Spanking does not teach violence! When a 3 year old smacks you that's when you smack them back and say don't you ever hit me again! You don't wait until they are teenagers to teach them that hitting or kicking a parent or any other adult is ok!

As a guy who got beat plenty as a kid, and not in a controlled sane way, I am typically opposed to hitting kids. Having said that, a child hitting a parent or another kid for that matter is not to be tolerated. They must understand that this is inexcusable. How one conveys that message to the child is up to each parent, assuming of course, abuse is not used. I spanked my son on his butt a few times with my hand when he was a wee thing. I've never hit him since. And we understand one another perfectly. But every child is unique. Good luck to all parents! It aint easy.

• Xena
    Xena

Mine isn't a teen yet....but I'm counting down months.

I'm not big on the hitting thing (though I did my share of butt popping when she was a toddler) but I can't say some kids don't need or deserve it. The few times we have gotten into fights I usually walk away, go take a nice long bath, relax and then we discuss things more calmly. She is a lot like me and after a bit of down time is usually pretty reasonable.

Is your daughter more like you or her dad?

Edited to add that sometimes her dad is better at reasoning with her than I am and I turn it over to him....how is her dad with her?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Never hit! My mother made that mistake for the last time when i was 14. I ran away from home next morning and stayed away at a hotel using my babysitting money in a town some 30 miles away while they worried I was dead.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Never hit! My mother made that mistake for the last time when i was 14. I ran away from home next morning and stayed away at a hotel using my babysitting money in a town some 30 miles away while they worried I was dead.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I agree with Crumpet, although if my kid ever hit me I doubt they would get a second chance; that is a major crossing of the line.

In principle I don't agree with smacking, it doesn't work - it just pisses the kid off and adds to their unresolved rage which will sooner or later explode out.

When we have kids we plan to not smack, both me and Mrs SLH were on the receiving end of violent fathers.

• Nowman
    Nowman

They have boot camp for teens, I did not read all the posts so if its mentioned already....

Nikki

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit