A small, still voice -- ringing out!

by AlmostAtheist 17 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

If you're unfortunate enough to have never read any of poppers or JamesThomas's posts, you're really and truly missing out. It's not that they say anything all that astounding, it's more that they point out how very little has to be said. It's not what they add, as much as what they allow you to drop.

At first I only noticed JamesThomas's posts to this effect. Then I saw poppers. Now eclipse seems to be speaking that same language, and I've also seen others hinting at it.

Is there a small ripple running through our community? A trend toward this view of the Now, ala The Power of Now?

Or am I imagining things again? Gotta cut back on my bleach consumption...

Dave

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Link to examples or tell the story of what they are saying.

Make it clear to an idiot like me, what their comments are doing.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

yes, please, give an example....

V

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I too am a believer in the power of "the silence".

Being present, here, now, at this moment.

The expressions of both poppers and James Thomas have allowed me to find much inner peace that had been with me all along. I just was not paying attention to it.

I am happy to have encountered the likes of these gentlemen on my journey.

These words are not to be confused with adulation or worship. No. None of that. Just appreciation for kindness shown.

Thank you brothers! And thank you AA, for posting this.

Nvr

• 5go
    5go

• 5go
    5go

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

THE POWER OF NOW Eckhart Tolle

great book

and even great is jamesthomas and poppers post

I always look for their posts and learn to look within myself for answers.

the courage to change, and feel

purps

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

5go, I'd be offended at your antics, if they weren't so funny.

I just think these dudes share some cool ideas that make a lot of sense.

That's all.

If you can share something enlightening and positive with me, I'll say nice shit about you too.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

It is comforting to see posts by people who have the same outlook on life as yourself. They both helped me a great deal upon my exit, my own crisis of conscience. Life itself, is amazing.

And yes, letting go of reckless emotional searching & false power over myself has done much to better my life, to better me inside more than mere words on this post can even express.

"Where do I go now?" was answered......I'm already here!

The expressions of both poppers and James Thomas have allowed me to find much inner peace that had been with me all along. I just was not paying attention to it.
  • AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Examples... hmmm... well, see, it's not that easy. The best advice I can give is to go read 20 random posts from JamesThomas (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/member/7427/default.ashx). Do the same for poppers (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/member/12671/default.ashx). Then get the book The Power of Now and read it thru, slowly.

It's not something I can point to and say "there it is!". Here's one small example, from a recent post by JT:

I don't know about today's Indians, but my sense is that those who came before had no need of a book about God, for they had an intimate marrage with the present moment of nature and life. Whereas the western mind would rather read about a tree than actually sit silent and respectful with one and open to its secrets.

It almost sounds hokey when you read any one post, like "In order to defeat your enemies, you must first defeat yourself" -- that sort of thing. But after you consider it, and apply it (and even that's not the right word), it starts to make sense.

The general idea is that YOU are not YOUR THOUGHTS. Your thoughts are products of your mind, which is also not you. You are the present, living organism that uses the mind and body to accomplish necessary tasks. When you stop your thoughts, silence the nearly-constantly running background noise of your mind, and let yourself simply exist in the present moment... well, it's a wonderful feeling. It's worth pursuing. (Which again, isn't the right word.) ;-)

It's not about "the soul", and it may all be a metaphor in the end. But it's a powerful, useful metaphor.

I don't mean to evangelize here, this thread isn't about that. I've only noticed what appeared to be a trend and wanted to see if anyone else had noticed it, and indeed if it was a trend at all. (After all, you only see thing in the clouds that are already on your mind)

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit