Spanking. Useful Deterrent Or Child Abuse?

by Paralipomenon 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I personally could not justify spanking a kid. If the situation presents itself as them being in immediate danger you may have to grab them by the wrist and pull them out of there, perhaps even forcefully, but I can't imagine how a spanking will further impress upon them the danger of their actions.

One exception: sometimes I'm a bad boy and I need to be punished by my wife....

FBF

• blondie
    blondie

I said no S-Ms, FBF. I can see why she needs to spank you (just kidding folks).

BTW, although my siblings and I were sexually, emotionally, and verbally abused, we were rarely hit. I guess our injuries don't count? We used to pray for bruises so someone would believe us.

Blondie (I have worked out my angst folks)

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    Did your parents spank you growing up?

My mother did. She was a "hit first, ask questions later" person. Often times she would fly off on us without knowing all the facts, lash out then apologize later when she had heard the whole story.

My father came from a very abusive childhood. The stories he told us were horrific. He made a decision that he would not spank his children, and he didn't. I thank my lucky stars he was NOTHING like his father!

BB

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I am a detention officer with Juveniles. The harshest form of discipline we can administer is to send a youth to his room, then we counsel the youth. Youth go to their rooms from 1 hour to 5 days depending on the infraction. I dont see why this would not work when raising your own child.

People may want to hit their children because they dont want to spend the time of sending them to their room and counselling them.

If a youth is out of control we do take them to the ground and handcuff them and then place them in a room.

When I raised my son, I didnt spank him. He turned out well he has a college degree and is a Registered Nurse. And he visits and tells me he loves me all the time.

With young youth at the jail, when we put them in their rooms they bang and cry. I guess a parent would be tempted to spank the child to stop the banging and crying, we cant do that. Very often I can stop them from banging and crying by talking and reasoning with them. If they havent got them selves locked up for 3 days, I will say young man, if you will behave and stop crying and nocking you will be able to come out of your room in a couple of hours. But if not you will have to be in your room all day tomorrow. I had 9 young men locked up on Monday and I didnt have any crying or knocking.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I spanked my children b/c the wts said so and I too was raised in that manner. it did NO good . All I did was take my anger out on them.

I think spanking is seldom warranted .

I can't even spank my cats. They look at me as if to say" 'mommy why are you hitting me?" I regret ever spanking my children and have told them so.

I do not believe violence solves anything unless someone is trying to take my/others life. then violence is acceptable.as for what the bible says . It also told parents to stone their children to death . I'm not likely to follow that advice.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Spanking children is fun and therapeutic. Everyone should do it.

Spanking adults is just fun. Everyone should do it.

AlanF

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Spanking children is fun and therapeutic. Everyone should do it.

Spanking adults is just fun. Everyone should do it.

AlanF

Alan~ you are SOO bad..lol

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

"Did your parents spank you growing up?"

Yes they did and looking back now as an adult I see that there wasn't one of them that I didn't need. Was I beaten? No.

I really thank my parents for the way they raised my siblings and myself. I hope I was as good as a parent to my own children.

• AlanF
    AlanF

: Alan~ you are SOO bad..

I know.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit