JUST FOR FUN: Pranks you've played (computer or other)

by SnakesInTheTower 25 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

so the post from FireNBandits http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/134960/1.ashx and the subsequent story reply had me thinking this would be a fun thread.

To start, I've copied a couple of the replies that were on that thread that had me dying laughing....and then one of my own. What's the greatest prank you pulled or you seen pulled on someone (or pulled on you?)... hope this brings smiles and lots of replies....

SnakesInTheTower (of the Prankster Sheep Class)

metaspy:

one time at my old work place, there was a VPs kid who did nothing. He constantly would forget to lock his workstation.

So we were always pulling pranks on him. Once we changed his mouse to a left handed mouse.

Another time a co-worker took a screen shot of his desktop and set it as the desktop picture. then he moved all of the icons to the edge of the screen. It was the funniest thing I have ever experienced at work. (except for translated korean emails)
    He sat there for a long time not saying anything, just trying to get the programs to work. He kept double clicking and nothing happened.
    He was trying to run some software like napster, so he didn't want to ask us for help. He didn't want to get in trouble.

looking_glass:

for ours we generally will send out a firm wide e-mail that says "I" (the poster who did not lock their computer) brought in food and swing by and help yourself. You would think these people never got food unless it was brought in, because all of a sudden you see lines of people forming at the person's office/desk. We had to lay off for a while, because when the firm really did have food brought in, people thought it was a joke and stopped coming to the firm functions. There are only three of us who do it and it has stayed b/w us, so people still don't know the trouble makers, but they have kind of narrowed it down.

Snakes:

I got back at a supervisor once who was computer illiterate. They foolishly walked away from their computer and I went over and (went a lot further than metaspy) and went into Control Panel/Display/Desktop and changed all of the default elements to ALL BLACK. The person came back, thought the monitor was off....hit the on/off button a few times. kept hitting keys...beeping noises, so the computer was on....nothing...finally they hard booted (turned the computer on/off)...yep...default setting was ALL BLACK, so still nothing...I'm trying not to die laughing...had to go get coffee.... they still do were doing that... I came back, cuppa joe in hand, "whatsa matta?, why not call IT? looks like the computer is broke?"..still trying not snort coffee through my nose from laughing.....

They called IT....IT brought a boot disk and someother technical stuff I wont bore you with...took them hours to check something so simple as the Control Panel and fix the settings...

Supervisor got nothing else done that day....

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Back in the old days we had terminals connected to a comms box called a cluster controller. Each cluster controller managed up to 16 terminals.

There existed a little know Ascii sequence which initiated a reboot of the cluster controller.

So I would edit the source program being worked on by the biggest nerd in the group and insert the ascii sequence at the beginning of say line 50 in his program. Whenever he printed out that line Bang! The cluster controller would reset! BEEP BEEP BEEP! All the terminals went black for about 3 minutes till this stupid box retstarted itself.

Then this idiot would print line 50 again and BANG!! Reset! BEEP BEEP BEEP.

After a few resets we would offer to help him, find the hidden Ascii sequence and delete it, then berate him for being such an idiot to accidentally insert such a control code in his text file.

Pope

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I use to reprogram phones so it would show up in french or spanish. I use to set the alarm on a guy's phone and he never knew how to turn it off and it was the most god awful sound. I got clear heavy duty tape and taped phones down or put tape over the mouth piece, so the people could not hear what the other person was saying. I taped all the drawer's to a desk w/ that same clear plastic tape.

But the best prank ever played in our office was not by me ... There are a couple of male attys that prank each other. One day one of the attys was just pushing the buttons of this other guy. So the other guy decided to get even. Annoying guy 1 gets up from his office, so guy 2 goes into the office and puts a red life saver down on the guy's chair, but he licks it so it will be sticky. Guy 1 returns and sits down and then eventually gets up, and what is stuck perfectly to his cream colored khakis, the red life saver. But it is stuck at approximately where his rear-end opening would be. Guy 1 walked around the office for a while, until one of the senior partners said "not that I was checking out your @$$ or anything but did ya know you have a life saver stuck to your @$$". It was hysterical.

And yes, we actually do get work done there!

• metaspy
    metaspy

Snakes, you are bad.

Another time the VPs kid left his computer unlocked we installed VPN (virtual private networking) which allows another user to remotely control the computer. Lots of fun!

One time my brother was visiting, we will call him Bob.
    Bob brought along a couple other brothers too.
    I had made the beds earlier in the day and short sheeted the bed that Bob was to be sleeping in (it was his old bed from when he used to live there).
    So when they arrive, we realized something, one of the other brothers was taller than Bob.
    Bob's old bed was longer than the other beds, therefore the tallest took the longest bed (to my horror!)
    There is something about first impressions... that brother still gives me a weird look.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

oh man, where do i start. i am always the practical joke guy. one of my favorites, is to take an add out in the paper announcing a gargae sale. put someone elses address on it. list really cool stuff, like, tools, kitchen ware, stuff that'll get noticed. you must put, early birds welcome, knock hard, i'll be in the back of the house. lol if your doing it to a friend, keep him up the night before the "sale" drinking. lots of fun .

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There was a woman who worked on in an IT department with me in 1999 who was very irritating, and never knew when to shut up. She worked in the cubicle right next to me. To make matters even worse, she wasn't even hot!

We were running Windows NT 4.0 on our computers. I wrote a little VB app and connected to her machine remotely. I copied the VB app to her computer and set it to run when she logged on.

When she logged on my little dialog box appeared, asking her, "Are you sure you want to delete the folder C:\WINNT?" There was only one button available to click - the "OK" button. My little dialog box didn't have an X in the upper right hand corner, no "cancel button", and it didn't appear on the taskbar. It could not be minimized, nor could it be dragged away from the center of the screen. No windows could be opened on top of it. In short, the only way to close the box was to click "OK" or kill the process in the task manager. I named the file csrss.exe which is also the name of a legitimate process, so when attempting to kill it in the task manager one had to choose between the legitimate process and my process.

It was funny to see a crowd of IT professionals standing around her computer trying to figure out what to do with this problem. I only managed to keep a straight face for about 20 minutes before I started snickering and then the jig was up.

By the way, clicking the "OK" button did nothing other than close the box.

W

• horrible life
    horrible life

LAST NIGHT

I work 20 miles from home, in another town. Country highway in-between. I was 6 miles towards home, when my husband called, and told me that he was about 5 miles in back of me.

As he said his location, I saw a new co-worker pulled over to the side of the narrow road, with no shoulder. I told him to stop when he reached us. I stopped, and she was glad to see a familier face get out. Flat tire, with the rim on the ground. She said she had called her husband, and he would be there in 20 minutes.

I said, that we should flag someone down. No, again, her husband was coming. I said, "This is a really bad area, we should get help, maybe flag someone down.". No, her husband is coming very soon.

I am watching for my husband. I identify his truck coming around the bend, and I say, I bet I can get someone to stop. All you got to do, is show a little leg!!!!!

So that is what I do. I pull up my uniform pant leg, with white sock and tennis shoe, and shake it in the air, and start waving and smiling. The pick-up truck starts to pull over. My co-worker, sucks in air, and says we really don't need anyone. I ignore her, and keep waving very friendly like. The guy gets out of the truck, and I say very loudly, that we have a flat, and if he helps us, "I WILL GIVE YOU SOME".

She turns and looks at her car, then looks at me, with the guy smiling and walking toward me, Her eyes are HUGE, and her mouth is open. As the guy glances at the tire, I say, Pam, this is my HUSBAND. Her face was priceless.

She said that she thought "My new co-worker is FREAKY". She told the story today, at morning meeting. Before she got to "husband" my other co-workers, could not believe what she was telling. OMG that is just not HL. How could you do that!!!! Your LEG???? PRICELESS

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

lets try some other than computer pranks, we are probably annoying half the board...(although those are DAMN funny) .

How about NON computer pranks too to include the annoyed/bored half of the board....

I helped Saran Wrap the toilet seat on my newly married friends house while they are on honeymoon once. (was not funny to them)

Some of us loaded up the inside of their front screen door with hundreds of really ancient Craptowers. What a surprise they had when coming home. (this was funny to them, annoying, but funny)

and this one I have not done but found online recently.... April Fool's Day - Minty Delicious Scrape the cream out of oreo cookies and fill them with white toothpaste.

How about gluing shut random pages in Craptowers found in Laundromats?

Hiding the tp roll at the Kingdom Hall restroom and replacing it with individual pages of the CrapTower (cut into squares for the dubs convenience)

SnakesInTheTower (of the Prankster Sheep Class)

• knock knock
    knock knock

non computer: an old standby for carpenters... if someone removes their nailbag for say a bathroom break, nail their toolbelt up in the rafters with about a dozen air-nails. There's usually a good reason for all the cussing on any construction job.

computer related: I used to work at an off-site records mgmt facility. For my own amusement I would, on rare occasion, fax in a RUSH order for non-existant files/boxes just to see the mad frenzy when I got back from lunch. Always worked too :) Ah, the old days.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL you guys and gals are too much!

The one thing I've done is go into settings and put the speed of the keyboard up to really fast, LOL freaks people out!

lets try some other than computer pranks, we are probably annoying half the board...(

Yeah I vote for that one snakes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit