Lurkers! How do you put up with it?

by PopeOfEruke 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I just cannot understand how any one in their right mind can read the experiences here concerning the Wachtower Society's false claims, lies, trickery and deceit, and the example shown by the so-called "elders" in treating the flock with disdain and cruelty, and still stay a Jehovah's Witness.

Lurkers, How can you do that? Do you simply dismiss all the evidence? Have any of you experienced such evil acts personally and still stay connected to the JW's?

I just don't get it...

Pope

• metaspy
    metaspy

Perhaps they don't "put up with it".
    In my case, I am showing endurance until the time comes when I can safely leave.
    Some might be hanging around to save family, friends, or their spouse.

Dont get me wrong, there is a mountain of evidence.
    Just some of us cant move until the timing is better.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Metaspy, that's a good point!

All the best in that endeavour! At least you have your mind free already, that's the most importaant. Sometime later you can also get your body free too!

Pope

• timetochange
    timetochange

Well, I'll give a stab at presenting the other side of the coin: maybe lurkers don't believe everything they read here. Unless they've experienced for themselves the problems found in many congregations they have no reason to trust us especially with the Society warning them to stay away.

A poster on ChannelC said his experiences in the Watchtower weren't as bad as those of others so it is possible.

• lrkr
    lrkr

Since I picked the screen name lrkr, I guess I'm obligated to respond (will have to change this name one of these days)

In a word, people. The people in the org are good friends of mine, family are all good people (and very JW). The thought of losing these relationships pushes me to put up a fascade. But that gets more and more difficult. Going in service and asking people to study and become a JW was the first difficulty. I just didn't want to subject them to it. That feeling of "I just cant anymore" progressed to parts, commenting, conducting the BS (esp in the Revelation/Imagination book), and finally to just sitting through meetings.

I suppose lurking is the first step in a journey. Growth is good. Lurking is the first step.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I've only awakened recently. I believe all of the evil because I've experienced some myself and I"m sure there's more to come. I am truly a people lover so losing those in the congregation is not that big of a deal because I have plenty of people from all walks of life that I care about and they care about me. People in the "world" that even though I have limited contact with consider me a good friend. But... because of the Evil Empire I am going to lose my best friend of almost 30 years. I'm not sure what my game plan is at this point. I do know there is no turning back. I don't think it will have much effect on my marriage and thankfully I have no family in the cult. One day at a time.This forum is keeping me sane. Thanks to you all.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Lurking is VERY good! And ....... it's also FREE!

How often in this world does something Free and Good come along? Not very often!!

Pope

• R.F.
    R.F.

This is how it was for me when I lurked.....

I had doubts, came here and lurked. I believed what was posted here but I refused to believe it. I wanted everything said here to be wrong about the organization. That was until I got smart and realize that truth is truth, and you can't force something to be the way you want it to be. This all led to my wanting eventuall to ext the org, and I endure the crap because I have to, that is, that I don't want to make a too sudden move and mess up certain relationships.

• snowbird
    snowbird

As I've mentioned before, I lurked for seven years before I could muster enough courage to post. I knew all about the UN/NGO, Mexico-Malawi, alternative service reversal, etc. I went to my last meeting in 2005; I simply couldn't take it any longer.

My daughter still attends all meetings and is pioneering this summer. Were it not for that little fact, I would have disassociated myself a long time ago. Each of us has to move at our own pace. What's right for some may not be so right for others.

Snowbird

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

POE

Why? you ask. We just do. I dont believe 95% of the crap coming out of the mouth of the Borg (and am suspicious of the other 5%).

Some are able to get out because they have no real ties to the JW Cult. Others, like myself, have family..... and were raised in the Truth Lie so our entire social network is fellow dubs. Humans do not function in a vacuum....we have to replace something with something else...even the Borg says that to New Bible Students....and its one of the 5% items that I agree with.

We dont want to hurt our family and friends so we cut back or fade or do what we can to keep the peace. Me, I went to 1 Sunday Talk last month (and left before the Craptower started). I went last Sunday to the talk and left right after (mostly to pick up my accumulating mags rags and make an occasional appearance)... I rarely make the TMS or Service Sales Meeting. I have not been to the Revulsive AntiClimax book study at all (except once when on vacation with JW mom..and dont intend to do so again.)

I made it my new years resolution not to go in ministry again in 07, and I have kept that resolution....I like the freedom of either sleeping in on Saturday morning or working and making a boat load of money knocking on peoples doors for my secular job instead of peddling CrapTowers for the Borg.

Many come here, lurk, never post, and leave. Others lurk for years, like I did before posting recently. Many stay here for the comradarie we find here because we have something in common -- the BorgTower -- but find we have so much fun and support here that we dont leave. JW War Vets Blondie and Minimus are 20,000 post + and their support (and others not in their stratosphere) help us new people either muddle through life in the Borg or fade out or just up and one day say FU** Y** to the Borg.

The mental, physical, emotional, and psychological toll taken by being a JW is not to be underestimated. The JWD board is a lifeline like no other I have found on or off the net

(Thanks Simon for keeping JWD going all these years)

Sincerely

SnakesInTheTower (of the Lurking Posting Sheep Class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit