When money goes missing... what do you do?

by Scully 27 Replies latest social family

• Scully
    Scully

So I've got this jam jar of American coins and small bills that I've been squirrelling away for my next shopping trip south of the border. Just the other day, Monday, I acquired a $20US bill and added it to my stash... and when I went to add some more coins to it this morning, the $20 bill was missing.

I'm pretty sure it was one of my teenagers. They come into my room and do their makeup and use my bathroom on a regular basis. I just don't know who it was. I don't want to wrongly accuse anyone, but I don't want the one who took the money to get away with it either. I informed them this morning of my findings, and that although I couldn't identify who did it, unfortunately both of them would have to lose their $20 CDN allowance at the end of the week and all the social stuff they had wanted to plan for the weekend - including a sleepover for one of them. I gave them until 4 pm today to produce the $20US - just put it on my desk anonymously - no questions asked - and the punishment would go away.

One of them is protesting mightily at the "unfairness" of this decision. The other one didn't say anything. The one protesting is pleading to just take her $20 but let the other one have her $20 (get this) "because she already owes me $20". Then she says how I'm somehow "profiting" from denying both of them their allowance, because I'll be keeping $40 instead of getting $20 back. I countered with "Yes, but I'd rather have the $20 back and I'd much prefer to be able to trust my own kids around my money. That would be worth more money than anyone could ever steal from me." The lady doth protest too much methinks.

If they were hard-done-by, I could understand it. If they were overindulged, I could understand it too. They both get an allowance every week from their dad, plus a monthly "bonus" from me, in addition to clothing and the things they need. Their allowances are for things they "want" - movies, video game rentals, makeup, fake nails , and stuff like that.

I know I'm not going to see that $20US bill again. It makes me angry that I have to lock up my "mad money" in a safe. I shouldn't have to do that in my own home around my own flesh and blood.

So how do you guys handle things like this? I know it's a teen thing to try to get away with stuff like this, but there has to be an effective way of teaching them that it's a HUGE violation of family trust to steal from your mother or father or siblings, and that a family needs to be able to trust all of its members.

• Mary
    Mary
    One of them is protesting mightily at the "unfairness" of this decision. The other one didn't say anything.

Me thinks that the one who didn't say anything is the guilty party. I'd probably do what you did. Yes it's unfair to the innocent party and the innocent party is going to know that the other one is guilty, but perhaps this will make her think before she steals from you next time. I'd also inform them that if money goes missing again, it'll be two weeks' allowance that they won't be getting.

If it's any consolation, I don't think this is unusual------kids take money from their parents without asking in alot of households......doesn't make it right though.

• mouthy
    mouthy

That happened in my family( grand kids) jI gave them to the next day....They can put it back in the dark without anyone seeing.

They did!!! I know who it was.... but never said anything ( there were 3 kids involved -only 1 guilty)
    I think you should know Scully( I know you dont believe) that Temptation is always working on ALL... Young folks have more than I had when young to deal with today, why add to it by leaving money out in the open,If you never find out who took it, at least YOU have learned a lesson. lock up your valued things. "PUT YOUR TRUST IN NO ONE" I think that is excellent advice....
    The guilt that loved one will be feeling is so weighty.... Lets know the out come....
    ( I would say the ole devil is working on a family member , especially since you dont think he is around your house

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Hmm thats a tough one - makes me glad I have no kids! If I had been one of the kids I would have just owned up though.

• Scully
    Scully

mouthy:

( I would say the ole devil is working on a family member , especially since you dont think he is around your house

Thanks for giving me a chuckle this morning. Maybe you should come visit me and scare "the ole devil" away. I'm sure he wouldn't mess with you!!

• BFD
    BFD

My bet is that the $20 shows up on your desk. You handled the situation great.

BFD

• mouthy
    mouthy

I'm sure he wouldn't mess with you!!

Dont you believe it darling, He is hanging around ole Mouthy ALL THE TIME!! He is working overtime at this minuit trying to make me give up believing he exists..

If you only knew what I am going through... I am thinking of calling "Dr Death" ONLY KIDDING!!!

• kid-A
    kid-A

So how do you guys handle things like this?

Hee hee....I dont....I live in a "child-free" paradise!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I was gonna say shoot first, ask questions later.

But then I saw it was about your kids.

You know what you're doing Scully.

• codeblue
    codeblue

(((Scully))) We want to trust our kids but they are kids.

I like your approach to solving this "mystery".

I had a bit of a mystery but it involved $400.00 I was going over my monthly checking account and found $400 missing. Well, I have this habit of talking to myself. Sure enough, I was heard.

My youngest who was 14 at the time (and the one shunning me now) came in the kitchen telling me he "took" the $$$. I was even more astounded as he was such a good kid. He told me HOW he did it....he would be in the car with me and watch me put in my "pin" number at the atm....

All the while, I wondered HOW he acquired video games and other stuff.... I thought he was trading out with the other young teens.........stupid me.

Well.... Dad came home and the roof exploded. He paid us the $$$ back and NEVER did it again.

The odd thing is, he never told till I found out the $$$ was missing....Makes me wonder what in his life he is "hiding now" and that is why he has relinquished contact with me, not just because I am not going to meetings.

Codeblue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit