WTBS Canada received almost $9 million from cong. donations in 2013

by Richard_I 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

Just saw this on the ex-JW subreddit. On OpenCharity.ca, you can view WTBS Canada's financial info and in 2013 they received almost $9 million in donations. You can even see how much some congregations gave. The directors/trustees listed are all members of the Canada branch committee.

Link to WTBS Canada's financial details

• cappytan
    cappytan
    If only the entire organization was required to disclose all of this.
  • hoser
    hoser
    $90 per publisher in canada. It really isn't that much when you think about it.
  • sir82
    sir82

Something doesn't seem right here.....

$9 million in contributions for one year.....113,000 publishers in Canada.....That's like $80 per publisher for a year.

So, the average JW in Canada contributes less than $7 / month to the "Worldwide work"?

That seems awfully low.

Did they figure out a way to hide contributions such that some don't have to be reported?

• Richard_I
    Richard_I
    @sir82: yes I was thinking the same, it does seem very low. But further down is a table that says they received $20,202,434 in tax-receipted donations and $14,526,065 in non-tax-receipted donations, which I guess would include conventions and assemblies.
  • sir82
    sir82

Yeah I didn't go far enough down.

So the 9M + 20M + 14.5M works out to about $400 / year per publisher, which is about $33 per month, which sounds about right.

All kinds of good stuff in there if you click on the "Financial trend" link. Since 2010, expenses have jumped significantly, while contributions have remained flat, which has put them into the red for the past 3 years.

The graphs show, quite explicitly, that for one country at least, there is a major cash flow problem.

Canada is relatively wealthy, per capita, so I wonder if similar (or worse) losses are occurring worldwide? Is the US maybe carrying the world re: WTS donations? Maybe US donations have not rebounded as expected following the 2008 global crisis, which led to the shameless cash grab (new donation arrangements)?

• hoser
    hoser

Interesting it lists the congregations by name and how much they sent to the branch

The total money grab from the congregations and circuits in canada was 8.8 million dollars

• hoser
    hoser

WTF!

united way of greater Toronto gave the branch $14909 last year?

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

united way of greater Toronto gave the branch $14909 last year?

I would also love to know how this can be. I've heard United Way put down by so many people within the org - from CO's to elders to rank & file, either on the basis of supposed religious affiliation or just being a poor example of charity. How on earth did they get $15K from them???

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    It has always been a great sin to give any fund to the United Way and now they are accepting donations from them. There is so much hypocrisy. I will definitely keep this united way little tidbit in my arsenal to bring up when the opportunity affords itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit