June 11, 2007 Macleans article re. ex-JW support group in Toronto

by kwintestal 22 Replies latest social current

• wolkje
    wolkje

Nice to read the story, I live in Holland now but I was in Toronto as a boy from 1954 till1960. My mother was called on by a JW I think it was Jean Parret and eventually or whole family became JW. I visited Toronto in 1971 and attended a congregation on the corner of College and Dovercourt. All of us left the WT about 1985 and I had a small part in translating CoC in Dutch. The visit in 1971 was pleasant, but they weren't as scared of aspostates as they are now. What struck me was the fact they had a handfull of JW who started with the WT before 1914, one couple in their 70's pioniering just about all those years, but they looked like third world citizens, poor, looking tired, not happy, not something I would want to be. Of course they never said a word about the failures of 1914 en 1925.

I whish the support group good luck.

Wolkje

• Hobo
    Hobo

I have sent a letter to the editors already, thanking them for an eye-opening story for a lot of people who keep silent as a result of upbringing and brainwashing.

I've been DF'd since 1975 and never knew these groups existed.

I may be a relatively well-adjusted adult ex JW, but sharing stories and supporting other free thinking people in our situation seems like a really good way to spend some time and assist with our own healing process.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Single Issues of MacLean's can be purchased here:

https://m1.buysub.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10851&storeId=10851&categoryId=10082&langId=-1

I tried to embed the page, but it didn't work properly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit