Radical Protestant Sect of One

by willyloman 10 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

I've been reading "Jesus and Yahweh: The Names Divine" by Harold Bloom, a professor and noted literary critic, and came across a great line which was originally used to describe the religious status of John Milton, a 17th Century poet.

He is described as a Radical Protestant Sect of One. I really like that. It pretty much summarizes my current relgious status.

Radical: Not mainstream.

Protestant: Not Catholic.

Sect: Offshoot of an established religion.

One: Each journey is unique.

I think RPSO fits many of the posters here on JWD.

--Willy Loman (of the RPSO class).

• willyloman
    willyloman

Number of replies: 0.

I guess this sets some kind of record. What did I win?

• zack
    zack

Just got to your post, sir. Thanks for the reference. One man, one voice is all that's needed sometimes. All the best, whatever you're up to. I am sure your heart is in it in a way in never was as a JW.

Do you have a calling?

• willyloman
    willyloman

The thing I like about being a "sect of one" is that it frees me from the delusion that I am right and everyone else must be wrong. And it lifts the burden of judgmentalism that we all carried as dubs. It allows me to be open and receptive to anyone's point of view without feeling I have to judge them on the basis of what they believe.

Tonight we have friends coming for dinner who are bringing some family members we haven't met. One is a born-again pastor who is excited about meeting some ex-Witnesses and wants to hear our story. I'm looking forward to his visit. As a dub, I dreaded this kind of confrontation and would have felt obligated to nail his hide to the wall. Today, I am just curious about what he wants to know and why. We could actually have a real conversation about spiritual and religious matters.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I have also heard the term "Freelance Christian"

It's strange though, that we, as Christians,should all be working directly for God, yet so many of us have decided to place the "middle management" of organised religion between God and Man.

Not an attack on anyone at all, but this seemed like a good place to put it.

• Mum
    Mum

Hi, willy. I think your post is right on. I see a trend developing (at least where I live) against organized religion. A lot of non-denominational or community churches are cropping up as well. Most people do not believe in their church's or religious leaders' teachings 100%.

A few years ago, I saw (on television) the recently deceased pope at a public appearance. The pope was sitting quietly while a woman was at the podium giving a loud speech about her personal issues with some Catholic doctrine. I thought, "Wow! The pope can take it, but those carwash-janitor-window washing JW elders would be in an arrogant snit!" A woman speaking her mind!

Free thinking may be the new orthodoxy, and that's a good thing.

Regards,

SandraC

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I guess I come into the RPSO category too because although I worship at a denominational church, I see that 'merely' as a place to fellowship with other Christians.

On the personal level, I'm ultimately answerable to God for my beliefs and actions, so like you, I don'tget so hung up on disagreeing with others' opinions.

• willyloman
    willyloman

On the personal level, I'm ultimately answerable to God for my beliefs and actions, so like you, I don'tget so hung up on disagreeing with others' opinions.

Life is so much easier when you decide it's okay to tolerate others' beliefs, isn't it?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Just saw the book you mention yesterday brother.

I came very close to purchasing it. Got one about Darfur instead.

I will get it though. Thanks for the insights.

I would like very much to attend services at your place of worship someday. I can handle your theology.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I guess I come into the RPSO category too because although I worship at a denominational church, I see that 'merely' as a place to fellowship with other Christians.

I have to say this is where I stand too. I have yet to hear or see anything that causes me inner conflict or to make me want to get up and leave. It is such a refreshing change from attending meetings at a Kingdom Hall---the atmosphere is totally (and pleasantly) different, and we don't have to sit and listen to the demands of MEN, or whatever the latest Watchtower magazine is pushing off on us.

Life is so much easier when you decide it's okay to tolerate others' beliefs, isn't it?

Oh YES! And doesn't it put a much nicer slant on things, and how you view others? I have found this to be SO true! It is OKAY to have a difference in opinion or a difference in the approach to God....and to be able to overlook these differences and be friends with others---without climbing up into the throne of jugdement as we did when JWs, and listening to the men in NY telling us how WE must feel and act. I wish I had bailed out of the WTS years ago!

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit