CREATURES DISCOVERED ON THE MOON!!

by Terry 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

British astronomer Sir John Hershel, it was reported in the Chicago Sun Times, made some extraordinary discoveries on the moon!

Sir John Herschel British astronomer Sir John Hershel

The year was 1835. This famous astronmer reportedly had discovered life on our moon.

New York Sun Lithograph

All manner of strange and wonderful creatures including men with wings like bats had been observed using a new and powerful telescope.

Fire-wielding biped beavers and batmen were quite extraordinary discoveries indeed!

Ruby Colosseum

Imagine the wonder, consternation and amazement the readers of this newspaper article must have experienced!

At about or around the same time a Baptist farmer was studying the bible on his own. His name was William Miller.

Baptist and farmer, William Miller

His discoveries were just as amazing and exciting and terrifying to the population as well.

Basing his belief principally on Daniel 8:14: "Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed," and using an interpretive principle known as the "day-year principle"; Miller concluded that the cleansing of the sanctuary represented the earth's purification by fire at Christ's Second Coming. For Miller, and other users of this principle, a day in prophecy was read not as a 24-hour period, but rather as a calendar year--365 days instead. Further, Miller became convinced that the 2,300 day period started in 457 B.C. with the decree to rebuild Jerusalem by Artaxerxes I of Persia. Simple calculation then revealed that this period would end—and hence Christ’s return occur--in 1843. Miller records, "I was thus brought… to the solemn conclusion, that in about twenty-five years from that time 1818 all the affairs of our present state would be wound up."(Apology and Defence, William Miller, 11-12).

From 50,000 to over 100,000 people were in some ways persuaded, disturbed and provoked into life changing decisions as a result of Miller's published opinions and publicly preached views.

Another famous astronomer, Charles Piazzi Smith, published astounding and widely-circulated opinions on the meaning of measurements made of the Great Pyramid of Egypt.

Astronomer Charles Piazzi Smith

In 1859, Smith published his findings along with detailed analysis and charts.

This diagram from Smyth's Our Inheritance in the Great Pyramid (1864) shows some of his measurements and chronological determinations made from them

His assertions made blunt impact on religious people and bible students.

Smyth claimed, and presumably believed, that the pyramid inch was a God-given measure handed down through the centuries from the time of Israel, and that the architects of the pyramid could only have been directed by the hand of God. To support this Smyth said that, in measuring the pyramid, he found the number of inches in the perimeter of the base equalled one thousand times the number of days in a year, and found a numeric relationship between the height of the pyramid in inches to the distance from Earth to the Sun, measured in statute miles. He also advanced the theory that the Great Pyramid was a repository of prophecies which could be revealed by detailed measurements of the structure. Working upon theories by Taylor, he conjectured that the Hyksos were the Hebrew people, and that they built the Great Pyramid under the leadership of Melchizedek. Because the pyramid inch was a divine unit of measurement, Smyth, a committed proponent of British Israelism, used his conclusions as an argument against the introduction of the metric system in Britain. For much of his life he was a vocal opponent of the metric system, which he considered a product of the minds of atheistic French radicals, a position advocated in many of his works.

Along came Charles Taze Russell.

Charles Taze Russell
  • Russell calculated 1874 to be the year of Christ's Second Coming, and until his death taught that Christ was invisibly present, and ruling from the heavens from that date. He predicted that a period known as the "gentile times" would end in 1914 and that Christ would take power of earth's affairs at that time. He interpreted the outbreak of World War I as the beginning of Armageddon, which he viewed to be both a gradual deterioration of civilized society, and a climactic multi-national attack on a restored Israel accompanied by worldwide anarchy.
  • He rejected the common chronology of the Bible, published by Bishop Usher, and used a direct approach, and deductive reasoning, to calculate the 6,000 years from Adam. Correlating it with prophetic interpretations, the year 1874 was seen to be prophetically and chronologically significant, and seen as the date of the invisible return of Christ.
  • Russell backed up some calculations using pyramidology. Following the view first taught by Christian writers, such as John Taylor, Charles Piazzi Smyth and Joseph Seiss, he believed the Great Pyramid of Giza was built by the Hebrews (associated to the Hyksos) under God’s direction, to be understood only in our day. He adopted and used the English phrase, referring to it as "the Bible in stone". Based upon certain biblical texts, such as Isaiah 19:19,20, and others, the various ascending and descending passages were viewed as representing the fall of man, the provision of the Mosaic Law, the death of Christ, and the exultation of the saints in heaven. Calculations were made using the pattern of an inch per year. Dates such as 1874, 1914, and 1948 were purported to have been found through the study of this monument. A detailed review of his thoughts can be found in the appendix of "Thy Kingdom Come".
  • WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON IN AMERICA?

1. People were easily bamboozled by outlandish claims, assertions, extraordinary stories and outright fabrications.

2.Formidable professional men were sucked in to making unverifiable claims about all sorts of subjects including fire-wielding beavers and the return of Christ. These men were sober, rational and prestigious men with good reputations and one foot in a fantasy world.

3.Ordinary citizens reared to believe anything was possible were swayed when they heard and read these outrageous stories and "proofs".

4.America was filled from shore to shore with a fringe of lunacy resulting on great changes in society.

Men like Joseph Smith and William Miller and Charles Taze Russell started the ball rolling on great society's of people who still believe some/part/all of those enormous fraudulent claims even today.

There is no end in sight for what gullible people, sincere and eager for excitement, will continue to believe!

The Watchtower Society was incorporated as Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society in 1884. Its directors served as the central Governing Body overseeing the global preaching of God’s Kingdom. [1] This initial Governing Body was comprised of five men and two women. [2] As of 1971 the Governing Body consisted of the Board of Directors of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, a body of seven men, and the agenda of the Governing Body was set by the President of the Watch Tower Society, who was also a member. The Governing Body was enlarged by Nathan H. Knorr to include other members of the Society in 1971, and its membership rose to eleven men. In that year, the chairmanship of the group began to rotate annually. [3] [4]

Since January 1, 1976, all the activities of the Watchtower Society and of the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide have been brought under the supervision of the Governing Body [5] , which formed six committees to oversee the various administrative requirements of the organization's worldwide activities. Prior to that, nearly all administrative reaponsibilities had been vested in the office of the president.

The membership of the Governing Body continued to include the directors of the Watch Tower Society until the year 2000. Since that time, the Governing Body has delegated the responsibility of directors of the various corporations that are used by Jehovah's Witnesses to members outside the board. Hence, the current president of the Watch Tower Society, Don A. Adams, is not a member of the Governing Body.

The number of elders sitting on the Governing Body varies over time but its size hovers in the lower teens. The number have altered from only seven in the very beginning, to eighteen in the later 70s (its highest-ever number), to around twelve more recently. As of April 2007 there were nine members. J. Barr and T. Jaracz are the only members left who were serving on the Body before 1994.

The members of the Governing Body have come from various national backgrounds.

• Mary
    Mary

Hmmm.....no pictures showing up in the first three Terry....

• needproof
    needproof

Tel, sort out the pic links!

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Terry, Here is one for you, this takes the cake. I was once told by a Big Shot Bethel Elder, that the thinking was ( I have not seen this suggested in print, just talk ) that during the days of Miller and The Big Tent Revival Meetings that Russell use to attend, that Satan instigated the start of "The Civil War" during those times to prevent The Great Bible Tent Revival Meetings! Have you ever heard of such?

Blueblades

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I see the pics loud and clear! Maybe only the truly guillible can see creatures on the moon...and I'm not even in America...baffling!

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

A well know astronomer recently sited a kingdom hall on the moon, but this has not yet been confirmed

• Terry
    Terry
    I was once told by a Big Shot Bethel Elder, that the thinking was ( I have not seen this suggested in print, just talk ) that during the days of Miller and The Big Tent Revival Meetings that Russell use to attend, that Satan instigated the start of "The Civil War" during those times to prevent The Great Bible Tent Revival Meetings! Have you ever heard of such?

C.T.Russell was born in 1873. The Great Disappointment was in 1843/44.

What Russell collided with was the fallout of the 2nd Adventist movement.

Ordinary churchgoers heard the predictions about Jesus 2nd Advent (Coming) and caught the "bug".

This caused dissent in neighborhood churches with the others who thought it was craziness. (And were right!)

Stubborness is impossible to deal with.

Eventually, even after the 1843/44 date was irrefutably seen to be bogus, these churchgoers could NOT bring themselves to be WRONG.

Alternate theories were bandied about.

C.T.Russell heard one of those alternate theories and like it.

He took a little here and a little there and polished it up a bit and added the Great Pyramid "proofs".

Russell, in his own way, had the money to be the next Charles Miller.

Russell was refuted in 1914 when Armageddon did not come.

Russell and his followers simply did what the Millerites had done; explained it all away by re-interpretations.

Rutherford did the same over and over.

Russell calculated 1874 to be the year of Christ's Second Coming, and until his death taught that Christ was invisibly present, and ruling from the heavens from that date. He predicted that a period known as the "gentile times" would end in 1914 and that Christ would take power of earth's affairs at that time. He interpreted the outbreak of World War I as the beginning of Armageddon, which he viewed to be both a gradual deterioration of civilized society, and a climactic multi-national attack on a restored Israel accompanied by worldwide anarchy. He rejected the common chronology of the Bible, published by Bishop Usher, and used a direct approach, and deductive reasoning, to calculate the 6,000 years from Adam. Correlating it with prophetic interpretations, the year 1874 was seen to be prophetically and chronologically significant, and seen as the date of the invisible return of Christ. Russell backed up some calculations using pyramidology. Following the view first taught by Christian writers, such as John Taylor, Charles Piazzi Smyth and Joseph Seiss, he believed the Great Pyramid of Giza was built by the Hebrews (associated to the Hyksos) under God’s direction, to be understood only in our day. He adopted and used the English phrase, referring to it as "the Bible in stone". Based upon certain biblical texts, such as Isaiah 19:19,20, and others, the various ascending and descending passages were viewed as representing the fall of man, the provision of the Mosaic Law, the death of Christ, and the exultation of the saints in heaven. Calculations were made using the pattern of an inch per year. Dates such as 1874, 1914, and 1948 were purported to have been found through the study of this monument. A detailed review of his thoughts can be found in the appendix of "Thy Kingdom Come".

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

If you right click on mouse go to properties and then copy and paste web site. I tried one and it did work.

Didn't realize that you can right click and go to Link. It will get you there immediately.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Terry:

There is a well educated man (master’s degree) that became a friend of our family when I was a child. He was not a JW, but continued to visit with us on and off for the past 20 years or so. I embraced the JW faith when I was an adolescent, and the metamorphosis I underwent was palpable. He took an interest in my beliefs, and I would spend lots of time talking to him about the Bible. Even though he is well-educated, he was superstitious and had a fear of impending doom for our planet. On one occasion the subject turned to the book of Revelation. He has traveled through much of the world and had made good friends with a Seventh Day Adventist couple many years ago. He learned a lot of the content of the book through them. Of course, being the good JW that I was, I explained to him that our religion had uncovered the true meaning behind the prophecies in Revelation. I placed the red Revelation, It’s Grand Climax is at Hand book with him. He returned about a week later. He politely handed me the book and made no attempt to touch the subject. I couldn’t resist, so I asked him what he had thought. He said he found the book interesting, but it reminded him a lot of SDA teachings. I figured that, since he knew very little about the Bible (only JWs know anything about the Scriptures, so I thought) he was easily confused. He repeated that comment almost every time we would talk about the Bible. I even managed to get him to join me at a couple assemblies. After a while, it became obvious that I wasn’t going to get anywhere with him and that he no longer wanted to talk about the subject. He was deathly terrified of the year 2000. He was certain that something big was going to go down. Nothing happened as we all know. Yes, even well-educated men can get caught up in believing in prophetic and superstitious nonsense.

Well, several years after baptism, the image of God’s happy organization began to crumble. I felt that I was just serving a religion for the sake of serving a religion. I no longer felt like I was part of God’s special life-saving movement that would be the precursor to Armageddon. In short, doubts began to crop up. I found a really nice guy out in field service who was a staunch SDA. I offered him a Bible study, and he accepted. I found that his knowledge of the Bible rivaled or surpassed my own. He kept asking whether we had any prophetic interpretation of the cleansing of the sanctuary. I had no idea what he was talking about. Right around that time a Watchtower article was published about that very thing. It mentioned the Millerite movement and how their 1844 prediction had led to the Great Disappointment. As was to be expected, the WT article was written in such a way that did not make it easy for us to connect the dots between Miller and Russell. The guy I was studying with eventually moved away. I left him my contact information. He was a really sincere guy so I was sure I’d get a call from him one day telling me that he had become a Witness. I never heard from him again.

As time passed, I still was unable to connect the dots. I came to realize that the 1914 doctrine was hogwash because it was built on a series of assumptions (I didn't know about 607/587 until after I became inactive). If any of those assumptions were wrong, the whole teaching was wrong. I couldn’t understand how such an important doctrine, arguably the doctrine most central to JW theology, could be so misunderstood by rank and file JWs. No one I knew could explain the doctrine without reading from the Reasoning book. Very few could explain the core concepts of how that date was arrived at in their own words. Yet I still could not bring myself to do any research outside of WTBTS materials. I would occasionally view anti-JW sites (followed by crippling feelings of guilt), but with time, I came to figure out a lot of what was wrong with JW teachings by myself, and I became inactive. After about a year and a half of being inactive, I was able to bring myself to regularly view anti-JW material online. The result was quite surprising. It validated my doubts about the organization. The well-educated man’s comments to me that our theology reminded him of SAD theology finally made sense. I realized that JWs were nothing but an offshoot of Millerism, the movement that had produced SDA as well. William Miller’s prophetic chart and “proofs” looked remarkably a lot like Russell’s. I was finally able to connect the dots.

I wonder what I would have done back then had I had access to all of this information. There was no internet back then and the only anti-JW material available was mostly in the possession of “nutty” religious types. I wouldn’t have accepted anything from those guys. Nor did I ever have the curiosity to enter into a religious bookstore to research my beliefs. People in other religions seemed crazy to me, but I’m almost certain I would have researched the religion online. It’s a lot easier to get impartial information that way. It’s all water under the bridge now, but I have a funny suspicion that I would not have given the Watchtower the best years of my youth had the internet been around back then. Thanks for posting insightful posts such as this one. This is the type of information that would likely have stopped me from ever becoming a JW. I’m sure there are many potential converts that read this and go running for their lives when they discover what JWs are really all about. I believe the internet is already having a huge impact on the religion’s lack of growth in the industrialized world. Let’s hope that this information soon becomes widely available in the developing world as well. Keep up the good work.

NEJ

• Quandry
    Quandry

From 50,000 to over 100,000 people were in some ways persuaded, disturbed and provoked into life changing decisions as a result of Miller's published opinions and publicly preached views

Probably around the same percentage of people in view of the population at the time have been "persuaded, disturbed, and provoked into life changing decisions" as a result of the WTS's sensational claims.

Looks like Russell created an amalgam of all the stupid beliefs of the pyramid guy, and Miller. I wonder why he didn't also try to make everyone believe that the creatures on the moon were real.

He probably could have convinced many.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit