2nd degree sunburn help

by roflcopter 12 Replies latest jw friends

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

So i went fishing at the beach for about 9 hours last thursday. Silly me I forgot to bring sunscreen this time. My arms didnt get burnt since I already burned once, but my legs are extremely burnt!

They have swelled up alot, they are extremely painful. The actual burn doesnt hurt that much anymore, its more or less the swelling. I am practically bedridden since whenever I position my legs perpendicularly or stand and put weight on them, it feels as if all the blood vessels are about to explode, lots of pressure in my feet especially.

Any idea's? Or should I just lay in bed for the next weed ( and loose my job, stupid retailers! They are already talking about firing me... *sigh* not like I can help my condition )

• DJK
    DJK

Lots of fluids to prevent dehydration.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Check you local health food store and see if they stock 'Willard Water' and/or 'Willard Water Gel' and apply that on the burns.

Outaservice

You can search the subject/ product on Google

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

You should probably see your doctor, 2nd degree burns can potentially become infeced therefore causing more problems. At the least, he/she can give you something to help them heal quicker.

Good luck

nj

**next time use the freak'n sunblock!!!

• Scully
    Scully

Try some ice packs or a cool bath several times daily and anti-inflammatories - follow manufacturer's instructions (Advil/Motrin = ibuprofen OR Aleve = naprosyn - one or the other NOT BOTH TOGETHER) and some other pain reliever like Tylenol. Drink lots of fluid to keep yourself hydrated.

My son got a bad sunburn like that over his chest, shoulders, back and legs a few years ago. The doctor prescribed naprosyn and cool baths. The cool baths provided immediate relief, and the anti-inflammatory medication kept the pain and swelling to a tolerable level.

• needproof
    needproof

Aloe Vera cream is the way to go. It does not prevent sunburn but it treats it. I know how it feels to be sunburned and I used Aloe Vera which worked very well. Go get some and you wont be disapointed.

• blondie
    blondie

I am very light-skinned and burn very easily.

2nd degree--blisters?

Try a product with 98% or more aloe vera. Or straight from the plant.

Noxema and ice has made me more comfortable.

Does vitamin C help or is that a rumor.

Blondie

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Oh dear.. I feel your pain!! I have had the exact same thing happen to my legs actually a couple of different times. If you can, try and stay off of them. Try sitting in really cool water to try and take some of the heat out. And keep them coated with aloe. You can purchase it in a bottle next to the sunscreen. I have had it so bad that it actually felt like it reached deep within the muscle tissue. It was really weird. But your symptoms of feeling so swollen you feel like you are going to pop..well it will go away, but I am not sure how fast if you don't baby yourself. If you don't get better soon you may want to call your doctor.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• eclipse
    eclipse

Zinc oxide cream is great for healing first degree burns overnight, but I am not sure if it is advisable for second degree burns...I havent heard if vitamin C would work....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunburn

There is no immediate cure for sunburns, but the pain can be relieved by hydrating the skin. This is done by applying products containing aloe, aloe with Lidocane, or vitamin E. [9] Drinking fluids can aid in hydration, and eating high protein foods will assist tissue repair. Analgesics such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can also reduce pain. [9] One method to treatment involves applying a clean washcloth soaked with cool milk like a cold compress, since the lactic acid will help reduce inflammation and the cool towel will soothe the pain. [citation needed]

Blistered skin, with or without open sores, should heal on its own. As with any other open skin wound, it is best to avoid lotions or other directly applied ointments. However, antibacterial solutions and gauze can prevent skin infections.

• poppers
    poppers

When I was in the Marine Corps I got a severe burn on nearly my entire body (the ankles were the worst). They threatened to court-martial me if I couldn't perform my duties, citing "destruction of government property". Fortunately I was able to carry on despite my condition. Yes, use aloe and keep up your fluid intake. Eclipse has some good suggestions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit