Stolen Watchtower art

by needproof 39 Replies latest jw friends

• alias
    alias

"It is possible to use art from another source with permission, and not necessarily for a fee. I wonder if this investigation went farther what the other magazines involved would say? I haven't read the website...did Stern say it was a "steal"?"

Along with Blondie's thoughts, this could be a stock photo image or a "rights managed" type of thing where a fee is paid for usage, unlimited or per number. This is not uncommon in the publishing and advertising worlds. A Google search for "stock photos" will give you all the background info on how this works.

alias

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I remember so clearly as a young child going through a stack of my grandfather's collection of National Geographic magazines (I was really just looking for boob pics ).

Hey don't feel bad! I used to do that all the time. My grampa has quite a NG collection, too....

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Thanks SirNose. Nice to know I'm not alone.....

FBF

• kwr
    kwr

I wonder why Stern stole the WT drawing?

• needproof
    needproof

Thanks for the input GermanXJW!

So should I check with Stern? Has anybody else done this so far, if not I will.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    I wonder why Stern stole the WT drawing?

And turned it into a photograph so no-one would notice!! Bwhahahahahahahaha This is hilarious. At least it explains why they need such a big legal department.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I have seen this on several X-JW sites I guess someone already contacted. "Stern" is a serious weekly magazine, publisher is Gruner+Jahr (G+J). I am pretty sure the Stern issue is older than the "Live forever"-book. But we are talking about an out-of-print-book. What do we want to achieve - beside having the precise information?

• TD
    TD

This was a time honored practice in JW land at one time

The Watchtower and Awake! "borrowed" (i.e. Turned original photographs into artwork) regularly from the National Geographic for years --As far back as I can remember. I've got a collection on a CD somewhere in the back of a closet that I'll try to find.

As Alan Feuerbacher has pointed out, even the pen and ink drawing on the frontispiece of the Babylon the Great Has Fallen! God's Kingdom Rules book was lifted from a secular publication on ANE history.

The WTB&TS actually seems to be doing this much less than they used to. Credit for reproduced photographs generally cited now in their publications.

• needproof
    needproof

TD, I would be very grateful if you digged that CD out!

• zack
    zack

Me: Scotty! Beam me down for this Babe! Say so long to the Big Guy!

Scotty: Let me know if the las has a sister!

Me: Energize.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit