ADVANCE MEDICAL DIRECTIVE sheet on Blood----Check it Out

by Mary 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Mary
    Mary

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I acquired this 'Points to Consider' about what a Dub is willing to accept or not accept when it comes to blood. As per usual, it appears that they've purposely made this very confusing and they're speaking out both sides of their mouth. On page 1, it seems one of the options is using your own blood: "...During the course of a surgical operation, I accept all medical procedures involving the use of my own blood except..."

To me, this gives the definite impression that you could store your own blood for use in an operation right? Nope. On the second page, under the "Sample" 5 it says "I refuse to predonate and store my blood for later infusion."

So if you're still not allowed to use your own blood, then why would they say on page one that you can "accept all medical procedures involving the use of [your] own blood?"

NoBloodSheet1-1.jpg

NoBloodSheet-1.jpg

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

This is not a linguistically proficient translation of the referred procedure in medical terminology, however...

use of one's own blood "during the course of a surgical operation" implies salvage/capture of blood lost in the course of a surgery that is then routed in an eventually continuous loop back into the circulatory system. The tubes, capture bag/container, and other paraphernalia enabling this can be viewed as a [temporary] extension of the body's circulatory system so that the blood never leaves the living organism.

On the other hand, "predonated" and "stored" blood implies a broken link between the living organism and the blood, and individual 'ownership' of the substance/symbol is thereby lost to God/The Thirsty One Above/The Ever-Watchful Vampire. If [the blood is] re-infused, the patient may be guilty of snatching life out of the jaws of God, with insufficient regard for his position as the grantor of life.

• Scully
    Scully

Power of Attorney for Personal Care

: If you have a power of attorney for personal care (also called a "living will") authorizing one or more persons to make health care decisions for you, then you may wish to name as the emergency contacts on your Advance Medical Directive the same persons appointed in your power of attorney for personal care.

I'm rather surprised - considering the WTS's penchant for legal stringency - that they screwed up the definition of "living will". I can't believe that this was a simple error. There has to be something more to it - like counting on the ignorance of many JWs who will take what they've written at face value - not questioning - not verifying information - in order to perpetrate a serious form of misinformation.

From wikipedia:

• A living will usually covers specific directives as to the course of treatment that is to be taken by caregivers, or, in particular, in some cases forbidding treatment and sometimes also food and water, should the principal be unable to give informed consent ("individual health care instruction") due to incapacity.
    • A power of attorney for health care appoints an individual (a proxy) to direct health care decisions should the principal be unable to do so.
  • Mary
    Mary
    Scully said: they screwed up the definition of "living will". I can't believe that this was a simple error. There has to be something more to it - like counting on the ignorance of many JWs who will take what they've written at face value - not questioning - not verifying information - in order to perpetrate a serious form of misinformation.

I didn't even notice that one.......Can you imagine some 75 year old brother or sister reading this crap and trying to figure out 'what Jehovah wants them to do?'

• twinflame2
    twinflame2

My husband said last night that he had a DVD to watch as they were filling out blood cards that night. It was some documentary about blood alternatives. They went through the blood salvaging. He was excited about how wonderful that this was allowed and the options it would give him. I made a comment about how that didn't used to be allowed and what a shame it was so many died that could have been saved. Of course, that was the wrong thing to say.

I copied the DVD for him and have it on my computer. Is this available online somewhere?

• 5go
    5go
    I made a comment about how that didn't used to be allowed and what a shame it was so many died that could have been saved. Of course, that was the wrong thing to say.

Amazing how they want us to admit were wrong when they bring poor reasoning little to no evidence but, when we bring hard evidence that they are wrong they go ape. POV sucks.

• Scully
    Scully
    I made a comment about how that didn't used to be allowed and what a shame it was so many died that could have been saved. Of course, that was the wrong thing to say.

I've brought this up with JWs too. The one that gobsmacked me was when a JW said "Well it was THEIR CHOICE to refuse a transfusion / organ transplant."

Was it really now? When your options are

(a) refuse a transfusion = die but have Resurrection Hope™ = avoid being DFd = pleasing Jehovah = Live Forever in Paradise on Earth™, versus (b) accept a transfusion = stay alive but screw up your Relationship with Jehovah™ = get DFd (or DAd by your actions) = lose all your friends and family = displeasing Jehovah = destruction at Armageddon™, is there really a choice?

• kid-A
    kid-A

I spewed my coffee when I read "Option C".......

Hmmm, lets see now. The patient is lying half-dead on a gurney in an emergency room, gushing blood from multiple wounds (internally and externally) and comatose, but the Doctor has to "wait" until he/she is "conscious" so they can rationally and calmly discuss the options over tea and biscuits.......this is a brand new pinnacle of Watchtower idiocy.

• Mary
    Mary

I'm actually going to work up the nerve to ask my parents what they've put on their "no blood" cards......see if they'll accept "fractions". But I doubt that they've done that. My father nearly died a few years ago from a bleeding ulcer and he wouldn;t/couldn't take a transfusion. They ended up giving him EPO which did the trick and we're all glad. But EPO does not work in alot of cases.

I've brought this up with JWs too. The one that gobsmacked me was when a JW said "Well it was THEIR CHOICE to refuse a transfusion / organ transplant."

Ya riiiight. Just like everyone has a 'choice' to partake of the emblems at the Memorial. I think that they've deliberately made the 'new blood card' purposely confusing so that most will just say "no blood". That way if they die, the Society can gleefully point out that they "had a choice" to take blood fractions and they refused so it's their own fault.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>purposely confusing so that most will just say "no blood". That way if they die, the Society can gleefully point out that they "had a choice" to take blood fractions and they refused so it's their own fault.

I doubt not a bit that you're right, Mary. This has CYA all over it.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit