Bethelites - humbler than thou!

by B_Deserter 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

We had one come to our KH - he had no concept of reality, no humilty, and no mercy. And he was the fastest to reprimand me for asking for help from domestic abuse. (I was speaking against my husband apparently - is that like speaking against the GB when they are wrong, or the elders when they are molesting children?) And he was in the front lines to DF me for leaving the abusive spouse. There was no mercy in his mind at all. Sadly, the mercy he deals out will be dealt to him most likely.

His trouble was that he had come to Bethel straight out of mommy's house and had everything handed to him at Bethel. Yes, I know it is a shitty place, but basically - you show up for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it is supplied to you. Your dishes are cleared and washed for you. You turn in your clothes and they come back magically washed. The reality of dealing with taking care of yourself, dealing with a paycheck and outside life... He had no concept. No idea that we worked for a living and maybe making all five meetings with kids was a bit stressful. No idea that turning in 60 hours a month on top of raising kids and working full time might be an unreasonable expectation. No idea that leaving his pregnant wife alone in a substandard apartment all day would be hard for her. In short, he came back a real jerk.

Well, the haughtier they are, the harder they fall. Unless (like some of you on this board) you climb down willingly.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, I have seen arrogant bethelites. Happily, time and exposure to the real world does bring them "down" a few notches. In a way, you can't blame them for their wrong mindset. They are young, they have women falling at their feet (regardless of the fact they may only have $20 in their pocket), people come up to them asking their advice and giving them praise (whether deserved or not). The problem with this religion is that there are too many other people besides bethelites who are going around with an exalted opinion of themselves. From time to time, you see some special pioneers and some anointed who act as if they walk on water. Did you ever see people humor somebody in the congregation because they professed to be "anointed"? This always bothered me.

At least in the catholic church it was only the priests who were "exalted" over everybody else. In the witness religion, because technically everybody is a "minister" and because there are several categories of minister - from the lowly rank and file all the way up the food chain - there are too many individuals who see themselves as being deserving of some kind of respect above and beyond what is given to the average person there.

LHG

• logic
    logic

I have known many bethelites over my many years. They seem to go two ways, arrogant know it alls, or they become mental basket cases. Two examples of many, P.O. who is a holier than thou, thinks his kids are the greatest thing on earth, and host all visiting dignitaries like he is god himself, literally walks around with his nose in the air, the other former bethelite left his congregation as somewhat normal person came back somewhat haughty but became a mental case unable to deal with normal life. My viewpoint was always that bethel was not for everyone, in fact almost no one. Most that came back were changed to a bad personality. You never have to guess who was a bethelite because they will be sure to let you know.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    Back in the early 90's young people were flocking to serve in the D.R. I think they were looking for mates (witnesses really need to get over the whole sex thing.)

Yup, and Brazil was another one. I guess there just wasnt enough theocratic females here in the states!!! Count me as one less

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit