Help!! I am extremely confused.

by Leander 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

I'm at a definite crossroad in my life right now and I don't know which direction to turn.

For my entire life I've been taught to believe in one thing but now I'm seeing things that I never knew where there before.

I find it very disturbing that there has been so many predictions the WTS has made in the past that failed to come true. Also the bouncing back and forth on certain doctrines make me question my beliefs.

But on the other hand I can't ignore things like the fact the organization is growing while other religions are on the decline. JW's have learned many things about the bible that other religions don't know. Also their seems to be a certain unity and cohesiveness within the organization. The preaching work is done all over the world by witnesses.

Its just very confusing to know what to do at this point in my life.

I'm still doing research trying to learn a few more things. I really want to know all of the facts before I make a decision.

Some of the things I'm currently investigating are:

1. The date of 1914: I read an article that brought out that Jerusalem was'nt really destroyed in 607 BCE, if thats the case then that would invalidate the Society's calculations of the 2,520 years that ended in 1914. I'm trying to find some historical documents that verify what the real date for Jerusalems destruction is.

2. I've heard on more than one occasion that the society has changed some of the reprints of certain publications from the original printing. I'd like to find out if this is true and if so what was the information that was changed.

3. Finally this is the most important question out of the three. Is the society currently teaching anything that goes against scriptural basis? and can it be proven that the society in the past or present has violated bibical teachings?

I would greatly appreciate if someone could offer me insight on any of these questions and/or direct me to any websites that has pertinent information in regards to those questions.

Thanks

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Hello there. I can help.

I am currently a JW, and although I won't disclose which office I fill, I am not just a publisher.

feel free to email me.... [email protected]

>>2. I've heard on more than one occasion that the society has changed some of the reprints of certain publications from the original printing. I'd like to find out if this is true and if so what was the information that was changed.

w89 I have an actual study article and I will send a scan. You can compare to the bound vol. and CDrom

And there's more to tell

• msil
    msil

Leander,

something to think about:

I have reached the same crossroad many times in the last few months. Then I move away from it and come back. "Just take it slow" was the advice given to me and it has been so helpful.

Take it easy - just cut back in the amount of time you want to invest in running around after an agenda you are unsure of. Take time out for yourself - an unspecified amount of time and just try to feel your way around.

Specifically to your points:
    "But on the other hand I can't ignore things like the fact the organization is growing while other religions are on the decline. "

Thats not true any more. Look at the declines in the western world. Wait till January and look at the service report. Look at the pioneer hours - they cut them by 35% and guess what? No significant rise in the number of pioneers.

"JW's have learned many things about the bible that other religions don't know". I used to think that too - until I started questioning the Bible it self. Take Noahs Flood - you think that whole episode makes sense? Revisit the issue of universal sovreignty and free will.....they seem logical to you? Just start one issue at a time. Do the research!! Its fun and its freeing.

Your current research on 607 is a good point. While doing it think about the implications. If the society is incorrect on 607 then 1914 does not fit the prophecy; if 1914 is wrong then so is 1919 and then the Faitful and Discreet Slave - oh boy. Finally if they are not the faithful and discreet slave then how can you believe anything they say?

The reprint issue: an example: look at the 1989 watchtower January 1. Page 12 paragraph 8. The individual magazine when it was published said the preaching work would be "completed in our 20th century". When it was bound - that phrase was changed to "in our day". There is an original scan available from Alan or Kent of the individual magazine.

Your final point: Yes they lie!! Look at issues like the voting issue; Look at the blood issue and their deceit in Bulgaria; Look at the UN issue right now; Look at the "new light" concept. Some of their teachings costs people their freedom and their lives. Then they just change it and move to a "new light" stance - one which would have alllowed people to stay alive if they had that viewpoint to start with. You ever seen an apology for the fact that their OLD teachings cost people their lives or their freedom? I haven't - and it cost me in this regard. You ever seen an apology for 1975? Me neither. We could go on for pages and pages.

Leander, Take your time.

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Leander,

The course of investigating your beliefs in the WT is the best course you can take, your on the right track.

> "3. Finally this is the most important question out of the three. Is the society currently teaching anything that goes against scriptural basis? and can it be proven that the society in the past or present has violated bibical teachings?" <

The WT can interpret the bible any way it wants to, and no one in the org. can question them without repercussions. The answer to your question #3 is yes and yes. From their own mouth, or 'press' if you will, the have had what they will call "New Light" to absolve themselves of any falsity they may shed. Look at it this way, they are the self proclaimed exclusive mouth piece of god. You obviously believe in a god, so ask yourself, would an almighty god flip flop on a whim with the lives of followers when it means life or death to them?

Keep on investigating, it's the best course you will ever take.

HCM

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

>>>1. The date of 1914: I read an article that brought out that Jerusalem was'nt really destroyed in 607 BCE, if thats the case then that would invalidate the Society's calculations of the 2,520 years that ended in 1914. I'm trying to find some historical documents that verify what the real date for Jerusalems destruction is.

Go to www.commentarypress.com and order the book "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" It will answer all your questions on this matter.

As far as the Organization growing... the Mormons have and ARE growing faster.

As far as the "preaching work" goes... Jesus words concerning that in Matthew were about the first century. There's still too much WTBTS in your head.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

we've addressed the issues of 'witnesses are the only ones preaching, the only ones growing, the only onea teaching 'the truth'" and you will soon find that these statements are not true. I'll leave it to someone else on this board to go into detail on that. (but basically there are many other religions that do preaching, JW's do not do any charity work even though jesus said 'i was hungry and you fed me, i was naked and you clothed me etc etc' Jw's do not teach the truth, a good example is the blood doctrine, an insane policy that has killed thousands..and don't fprget organ transplants)

As for Jersusalem being destroyed in 607 bce, you will find NO, absolutley NOTHING that will be able to prove that date outside of watchtower publications. You will find the real date of its destruction was 587 bce or 586 bce.

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Hi,

Might I suggest getting a copy of

Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz..

Ray was a member of the governing body... In the book, there is all kinds of things Ray reveils happened to him, or he observed, including the fact that the society itself received unrefutable proof that the date of 607 was wrong, yet the society ignored the fact, because to admit that was wrong would have caused massive credibility problems..

Take it slow..

There is also a helpline you can call if you want to talk to someone..

1-800-WHY-1914

Good luck, it sounds like you are searching for the real truth.. I'm confident you'll find it...

• OhHappyDay
    OhHappyDay

Leander,
    I think that you already got goodanswers.
    About ACTUAL teachings wich are not in a common sense with the bible, read this:
    www.ajwrb.org
    Happy Day!!

• roybatty
    roybatty

Leaner,

Sounds like an elder or someone else is planting these ideas back in your head or at least reminding them of you. Let me make a few points.

>>But on the other hand I can't ignore things like the fact the organization is growing while other religions are on the decline.<<
    Where are the JWs growing? Third world nations where the majority of the people are not educated and cannot investigate the WT. What about in the USA, Japan and Western Europe where people are free and able to look at both sides of the issue? The WT is in decline or at the very least stagnant. Why is that?

>>JW's have learned many things about the bible that other religions don't know. Also their seems to be a certain unity and cohesiveness within the organization.<<
    Well, how can any religion that at least reads the Bible be completely wrong? There are bound to be at least some truths. Heck, one can even make the same argument that Nazism united Germany and brought it out of an economic depression. Did that make it good? I know that this is an extreme example, but think about it. There is no doubt that there are good things about the WT, such as promoting good morals, but does this excuse the many teachings that are outright lies and the many lies they have ruined?

>>The preaching work is done all over the world by witnesses.<<
    As you start researching more and more, you’ll be surprised by how many other churches do the same. And besides just preaching, these churches build hospitals, schools, homeless shelters, etc…etc..

>>1. The date of 1914: I read an article that brought out that Jerusalem was'nt really destroyed in 607 BCE, if thats the case then that would invalidate the Society's calculations of the 2,520 years that ended in 1914. I'm trying to find some historical documents that verify what the real date for Jerusalems destruction is.<<
    That’s so easy to disprove. 99.9%, hmmm…actually 99.99999% of Bible scholars choose the date 587BCE. Heck, right here in Chicago there is an excellent Jewish library/museum on Michigan avenue. I can’t think of the name of it, but you can go there, use their library and get an unbiased opinion as to when Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians.

• willy_think
    willy_think

"But on the other hand I can't ignore things like the fact the organization is growing while other religions are on the decline. JW's have learned many things about the bible that other religions don't know. Also their seems to be a certain unity and cohesiveness within the organization. The preaching work is done all over the world by witnesses."

hi lender,
    you are finding out how untrue the WT is but you have more to learn. the org. is NOT growing while other religions are on the decline. many religions are growing much faster then the WT cult.

JW have ben taught many things about the bible that others KNOW to be untrue. if you can be specific as to what the WT knows that others don't i can point you to alternative understanding that will make more since.

"unity" totalitarian cults are like that.
    look into the bible students- jehovahs true witness-jesus's witness

The preaching work is done all over the world by witnesses.
    so what? every inch of the earth has a cathlick biship.
    the Mormon's will send a 19 year old elder to your door.
    the Baptists come a calling.
    the legion of Mary might even come by.

the WT know if thay say somthing long and loud enough the R&F will buy in to it. after all what choice do thay have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit