I'M CONFUSED

by nvrgnbk 56 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

Sometimes, we just forget, (both the one posting, and his/her readers), that written communication requires a little more work when contraversial subjects, (such as the one's dedpoet mentioned), are being discussed. Myself included. Without the benefits of tone of voice, and facial expression, a blunt opinionated comment, can often make someone appear arrogant, even mean. Junction Guy brought up a good point about people being different "on the phone". In most cases, the "written" version of these posters hardly indicates the kind of people they really are.

j

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

done4good -

You make an excellent point. I know there have been times where someone has totally taken something I've posted the wrong way and blasted me for it. So, now I try and read my posts several times before hitting that send button. Sometimes what you type is NOT how you wanted to convey your thoughts.

Good reminder!! Thanks!

BB

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Excellent points done4good and BB!

I had in mind those who obviously regard the feelings of others to be of little importance.

But, undoubtedly, the limitations of the written word can cause misunderstandings, grave at times. Then a simple and sincere apology usually suffices to get all parties back on the same page.

• BFD
    BFD

I think the DEVIL makes them do it.

BFD

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Nvrgbk..Just what the hell is your problem!!..

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The board is a good representation of the outside world

That makes sense. Some people are a$$holes by nature and can't help themselves.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I think there are many different types here, which as was pointed out, is a cross mixture of the world itself.

I think there are those that are aggressive because they can hide behind a computer

There are those that are attention seekers, whether it is positive or negative attention

There are those that feel that they are teaching others, almost still like the JW way of I will preach to you because I am right and you are wrong

There are those that are still of the black and white mentality, my way or the highway

There are those who sit on the fence and those who wish to burn the fence

When I first appeared and posted, there was a poster who I felt was personally very nasty to me. Ballastic was the one that talked me off the ledge, as I was thinking of not returning to the site. He stated that the person I had an issue with was actually very nice, but some times comes across as very abrasive via the message board. This is a false medium. So it is hard to get a good read on people. There is no body language to read. No facial expression to get assist in whether it is a joke or not. For every one person who may be a little abrasive, there are 100 that are gentle. Thank goodness for that, because if that weren't the case, I suppose many of us would never have posted in the first place or returned in the second.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit