Public Speaking

by lonelysheep 19 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

How do you get over the jitters to talk in front of people?? I have a speech class and make my first one tomorrow. I'm f'ing petrified, despite everything we've talked about in class. This will only be 4 minutes or so.

How do you elders and former elders do this??

• lehighjoe
    lehighjoe

It is all in the breathing. Before you go up, deep breathe for a minute or so beforehand. You'll likely get a little light headed, but do slow and deliberate breathing exercises. Your heatbeat will be maxed out, but keep the breathing deep and deliberate. Most people breathe shallow when nervous, and you run out of oxygen... and then start gasping like a landed fish. Deep regular breathing also encourages your body to relax. When you're up... make eye contact and SMILE. TAKE the attention of the people you are speaking to. Don't think you're up there by permission. Be there by demand. If you get loopy, focus on the back wall for a second, then back to eye contact. Make those people think you are speaking one-on-one to them... which, you are doing. If you get lost with your notes - no worries! Take a second, pause, and catch up. Then power in to your next thought. Jitters and nervousness are normal. Acept that, don't try to fight it. Work WITH your body, and make those jitters become the strength you pull from to FOCUS on what you're doing. Those four minutes will pass in four seconds, and you will have a blast. And breathe. Breathe. Breathe. A little rehearsal will help, too, but not so much you end up blowing through your notes like memorized rote. Best wishes.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you really can't cope well, you might need a manuscript. That's much more to lean on
    than notes. If your words are a manuscript, and you are comfortable and totally familiar
    with the words, you have a crutch as you go to the podium. You know what you are
    going to say, and you have it all in front of you.

If you need more than that crutch, you can keep your eyes on the paper and avoid
    eye contact with your audience. You can at least start out that way. If it's important to
    have eye contact, avoid direct contact with a teacher or anyone who will make you
    more nervous. You can scan across the audience without ever really looking at anyone.
    You can also ask someone in the middle front to be sure to look thrilled by what you
    are saying, then when you see their smile, it relaxes you.

I know 4 minutes is short. If eye contact with an instructor is important, do it in the
    last minute or so. Don't try the "picture them in their underwear" approach. That's for
    a speaker with time to relax and move on with a longer talk.

I liked to rehearse in the empty hall in front of the empty chairs. It made the room
    seem more familiar before the actual talk.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I used to sip a little vodka and coke before I left home when I had a part on the Service Sales Meeting.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

visualise everyone naked

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I too get nervous at public speaking, despite being raised a JW. The key for me to overcome it is speaking about subjects that I know very well and am passionate about. I have given testimonies of my JW childhood in churches and a conference, and I really didnt get nervous, which surprised me.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    I have a speech class and make my first one tomorrow.

The other day, I asked my youngest son how his college speech class went. He replied that he was sitting in class one day waiting for it to start when his teacher casually remarked that it was his day to give his speech. He of course had NO IDEA that he was supposed to give a speech when class started about 10 minutes later. He sprinted down to the cafeteria, then down to the recreation area, then back to class.He ended up giving a speech using ping pong balls and cups of liquid to demonstrate some popular drinking games. He got a B.

Good luck with yours. I'm sure you will do great!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

My suggestion is being very comfortable with your information.

Not the exact words, rather the ideas and concepts.

Too many set themselves up for trouble by concentrating unduly on precise word placement. The smallest mistake and they are lost and flustered.

Good luck!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

If your comfort level with the material allows it, try to be casual. Think of the audience as a bunch of your friends, and you're just telling them a story. Gestures are natural, you probably do them all the time in conversation. So if you can, allow yourself to use them. Not the manufactured ones, but your natural ones. Anything you can do to make the situation seem more normal for you is a good thing.

Dave

• R.F.
    R.F.

As was mentioned, comfort with the material is very important. You definitely want to rehearse it. Also, remember that everyone else will be just as nervous if not more nervous than you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit