Dr. Bernstein Diet

by Thinking of Leaving 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Thinking of Leaving
    Thinking of Leaving

Had anyone ever tried this diet? I'm thinking about it and have heard some positive things concerning it. Any comments would be appreciated:) thanks

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

A coworker of mine did it and recommended it. I chose not to after doing a bit of research.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/bernstein_diet/

W

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I know two people that followed that diet. It is very restrictive, only about 900 calories a day (which is not good for you), and they have to give you supplements and injections to make up for the nutrients you are not getting from the very low caloric intake.

They both followed the diet (they were both brothers). One only had about 30 pounds or so to lose and he has kept it off. The other brother lost over 180 pounds very quickly (less than a year). He was amazing how he stuck to the diet, but sadly has gained it all back and then some.

I honestly did not think it was a healthy way to lose weight - it is very restrictive.

BB

• anewme
    anewme

I actually dream of being thin again.

• anewme
    anewme

Im fatter than I have ever been and I have this new young hunk of a husband.
    Its terrible that I have not been able to work up the spine to tackle this problem.
    He says he loves me the way I am. Thats the problem. I feel loved for the first time and I am happy.
    I have to be angry and mean to work out and lose weight. (sigh)

• Scully
    Scully

Several of my co-workers tried it and were going on and on about how fabulous it was - they lost a lot of weight in a very short time frame, without having to exercise. One of them reached her goal, but then put all the weight back on, and then some. Another one got kicked off the program because she couldn't handle the low calorie intake - she is diabetic and was experiencing dizzy spells and really low blood sugar. Our group insurance used to cover a portion of the fees (it's very expensive - about $500/month) because of the weekly vitamin B12 injections. Once they caught on to the fact that a lot of people were signing up and submitting claims for a weight loss program, they delisted it from their coverage.

Here's a link to the FAQ of a local medically supervised weight loss clinic: http://www.bmimedical.ca/faqs.html

Overall, it's not something I would recommend. It doesn't seem like a safe way to lose weight to cut your intake so drastically, especially if you have other health issues. Definitely talk to your doctor before signing up.

• Carmel
    Carmel

My wife and I joined Weight Watchers last summer and by January had both lost the weight we wanted, 35lb for her and 40 lb for me. I'm now at the weight I was when I graduated from high school many decades ago. It is more a learning to eat healthy as well as control caloric intake than just focusing on low cal. We lost about a pound and a half a week, which is at times tedious, but hey, after six months we were there. Others in our group have lost over a hundred pounds in a year. Our group lost more weight in 2006 than any other in the nation. We're driven!!! It costs about $10 a week if you sign up for automatic withdrawls. Once you hit your target and don't regain for six weeks, you become a life time member without cost as long as you keep it off. Still have to weigh in once a month but that's a good thing. Keeps you on track!! carmel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

For many years it has been proven that the BEST way to loose weight is to put down the damn Twinkies and go outside to get some exercise.

Anything else is an unhealthy gimmick.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I know some people do well on a low-carb, high fat and protein content diet, but not me. Bear meat is too fatty for me, and it's also too gamey tasting; I'll stick with the Dr. Seuss diet.

• Lucian
    Lucian

Hope you don't mind my jumping in here ...

Has anyone tried the Andy Warhol diet?

You only eat foods that you absolutely hate!

It makes sense ....

Lucian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit