LIVID at knocking documentary

by avishai 36 Replies latest jw friends

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

In order to have an informed opinion, I purchased this exorbitantly priced dvd a few months ago and watched it, as well as all bonus materials, with the critical eye of one who was a very devoted JW for 28 years, elder and reg pio. This is pure propoganda masquerading as documentary. Why else would the financial contributors to the project (see credits at end) be long time, wealthy JWs? Just think, if you were a loyal JW worth millions, would you contribute significant funds to a project about your religion without any assurances that it would not rake up any muck from the past? Why else would the Society grant permission to film within Kingdom Halls during meetings, and interview it's members at length on film? (If you were an elder you know a letter to the elders was sent by the Society years ago forbidding all such interviews without the Society's permission.) Would the Society then take granting such permission lightly? I am quite certain there were firm written assurances in place, if not final approval of the finished cut. Why else would the Society provide access to openly filmed interviews with one of their attorneys for hours? This was a carefully orchestrated project, just like Faith on the March, to make JWs and their hierarchy appear perfectly normal and respectable segments of society. It is designed to remove the "scare" factor, and make it seem "safe" to engage JWs, let down their defenses, and open oneself to their indoctrination. As with all propaganda, great effort is made in the production to make it appear "fair and balanced", but the end result is dangerous. Don't expect to see 60 Minutes or Dateline invited to openly interview local JWs at length anytime soon. They might ask too many questions about Judicial Committees, Shunning, flip-flopping doctrines on life and death issues regarding medical treatment, alternative service or pedophilia, with the severest of penalties for those who don't conform. It's what this film ignores and carefully avoids that makes it so biased. It's like viewing the organization through a paper towel tube. Believing that this is a fair and accurate rendition of what this religion is all about, is the same as believing that there sits in Baghdad a legitimate, freely-elected sovereign government.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I went back to the PBS website and read more about Knocking, including the section titled "common misconceptions", boy this Joel Enguardio is starting to really piss me off. I havent seen Knocking yet, but I have the opportunity to really soon, and Im gonna let PBS know exactly how I feel.

Alright gang, we need to get started on our own counter documentary.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Junction Guy:

You don't need an anti-JW documentary. The internet is way more powerful than PBS.

The people who watch PBS are the least likely audience to become JW. They are mostly liberal, artsy, gay, educated, professional, atheist etc.

Do a little research on google and the PBS ads that try to get corporate sponsorship. These are NOT people who will become JW's.

The internet is still JW enemy #1. Every circuit assembly - every circuit overseer visit has a segment on condemning the internet.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Many of those types become JW's too. JW's are an equal opportunity cult.

• avishai
    avishai

Yep, dead serious. Terrence Howard was the narrator, etc. etc.

He's a damn good actor, just a hypocrite like many JW's in the sports/entertainment field, there's a huge double standard.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Yep, dead serious. Terrence Howard was the narrator, etc. etc.

He's a damn good actor, just a hypocrite like many JW's in the sports/entertainment field, there's a huge double standard.

Damn shame. Yes I see a big difference between Price and I. Serena Williams, and Selena (past) Michael Jackson and well the list does not end. But heck if I popped my nips out on this board I would be moderated...let alone all over public display such as Serena Williams and Lawdy...Disfellowshipped again.

Yes the double standards are amazing.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I just saw "Knocking" last night, and I will give my review on my own thread here shortly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit