anyone else sick of stroking certain apologists egos?

by theinfamousone 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    the problem is their condescending BS tone... thats what bothers me here

Yeah, but ONLY here. Here in atheist/theist debate threads. On other threads, the rudeness is gone, the arrogance is gone, it's just another nice guy out for a summer stroll.

That's what I really don't get. I know an exceedingly arrogant guy here at work. But he's always arrogant -- he doesn't turn it on and off depending on the subject matter.

Dave of the "live and let die" class

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Infamous,

Perhaps you are taking this all too seriously.

Discussion Board behavior is one dimensional and what appears to be a persons personality can easily be distorted in the cut and thrust of point-making. I have no doubt that Perry and Vinny are decent people who would be good company in real life.

I have found, often through trial and error, that it is best to deal with arguments rather than personalities. Arguments that I feel have worth I deal with seriously, those that do not I have fun with, most I ignore.

The reality is that after a few years posting on a Board like this, no argument is a new one. What we have is the frequently regurgitated viewpoints being discussed again and again and again. If a person were to look back in the archives, there would be little left to discuss as the arguments regarding chronology, atheism, Biblical interpretation, agnosticism etc. etc. have been dealt with ad nauseum.

Perry and Vinny's arguments are lightweight and they would never have got breathing space on this Board five years ago, when we used to have some really able Biblical apologists. Another poster made an interesting point recently, and that is that the reason for the 'lower' quality of debate is that the Internet has become every mans domain, where once it belonged to the more clued in user. I think that they hit an important point.

Just enjoy the ride.

HS

• Undecided
    Undecided

I kind of like reading them untill I get bored with the same statements that I hear at church and from some of my in-laws. God answers prayers, unless he doesn't want to. God is love unless he ignores all the unloving things his creation does. You must have faith or head straight to hell fire and brimstone that this loving God thought up for unbelievers.

God's purpose for creating humans and the earth was to take all good ones to heaven, someday or soon when he blows his horn. Believers will be changed, in the twinkling of an eye when they die or maybe wait for a resurrection during that last trumphet blast. Don't know why he is creating a new heaven and a new earth. Wonder what those who make heaven are going to do throughout eternity, sing praises to God each day. No sex, no good meals, nothing to do but sing.

People are without answers, some just have faith in something some human wrote several thousand years ago that never happens now.

I guess I'll just wait and see or not see, depending on what the answers are.

Ken P.

• rebel8
    rebel8

"i am sick of allowing these men to mentally masturbate all over this discussion board..."

Good analogy....but masturbation is generally an activity done alone....so maybe the way to handle it is to not pay attention and let them masturbate in private.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Good analogy....but masturbation is generally an activity done alone....so maybe the way to handle it is to not pay attention and let them masturbate in private.

Good idea!. Perry and Vinny, put it away and save it for a treat later.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Here's a jumbo box of Kleenex for Perry and Vinny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit