congregation behind in their donation !!!

by buffalosrfree 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DeViL DriVeR 76
    DeViL DriVeR 76

I have not been to a meeting in twelve years but as a former witness of thirteen years I was under the impression that the "free" literature was "free" to those in the world. Didn't the society do this for tax purposes of some sort? Or was it so they can preach in buildings since they were not "selling" anything. It's been a long time so I don't remember why it was done but to the best of my knowledge publications were "free" to the outside public but witnesses were still expected to donate.

The part I never understood was as a child I would watch my parents "donate" money for the publications they used to preach with than collected donations for them and put the money they got right back into the contribution box like many other witnesses. I always found it odd that these people would buy the literature with their own money than collect money for the literature they sold and give it back. It's like paying the society for the priveledge of going out preaching for hours.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Welcome Devil Driver!

My solution - shoot the BOE, and fleece the sheep - nothing less! Sell off the Hall for beer and hush money.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Great first post DeVil DriVer 76. Do you have a '76 Caddy?

I was under the impression that the "free" literature was "free" to those in the world.

It is, but with donations down about a year or two after establishing this arrangement, they have
    pressured the loyal JW's to donate more. They aren't relying on Jehovah as they have told us to
    do.

these people would buy the literature with their own money than collect money for the literature they sold and give it back. It's like paying the society for the priveledge of going out preaching for hours.

So true. Even as a loyal witless, I only donated for books I kept. For recruiting work, I only donated
    what was collected from the field, which wasn't much.

Here's how they do it. They tell the faithful recruiters to mention the donation process. Most of the
    members (mostly low-hour publishers) are afraid to turn down a book or magazine sale because of
    money. They are afraid to mention the donation process, but are excited that someone actually
    wants the printed nonsense. They learn to just give it away, but donate their own money when they
    pick up literature, so they don't feel guilty. Pioneers tend to have less problems asking for money and
    donating from the field only, but they don't do much better collecting for their efforts, so they drop a little
    bit in the box. Fortunately, it appears that these little bits are not enough. As time goes on, faithful
    recruiters say "I gave my time to the preaching, I need my money [from my low wage job and no overtime]
    to get to the District Convention this year."

WTS literature is now much lower in quality, and they are still cutting back. Now they offer invitations and
    flyers much more often, to keep costs down and make it easier to "place."
    They are slowly DOOMED, DOOMED I say!

• DeViL DriVeR 76
    DeViL DriVeR 76

Ha ha! Let's not forget about the quotas. When I left if I remember correctly publishers had a quota of 12 hours per month and I think 10 magazines or so. Pioneers were 90 hours and who knows the magazines they averaged. There was never a demand to place a certain amount, but boy did they have a tactful way of making you feel bad about what you did or didnt do. I remember these sheets of paper I had to fill out stating the hours I preached and magazines and books I placed. And even though we were not "forced" I do remember elders discussing why I spent so little time in service or placed such little literature in certain months. I hear things are different now about the societies view towards college(which I assume was due to all the witnesses out of work because they couldnt find work) but at the time I was there they talked badly about going to college which depressed me to the point of me dropping out of high school because I felt whats the point? The reason why I am mentioning this is due to the fact that pioneers were expected to put in 90 hours a month and not even 10% could hold down a job and do that, yet at the same time they had to donate money to get the tens or for some hundreds of magazines they placed each month. Needless to say my congregation was extremely poor.

And the 76 is for the year I was born =)

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    I hear things are different now about the societies view towards college(which I assume was due to all the witnesses out of work because they couldnt find work) but at the time I was there they talked badly about going to college which depressed me to the point of me dropping out of high school because I felt whats the point?

They backed down on their view of college about 1992, but they're back at it. I think it was the 2005 district assemblies when they really started knocking it again with a drama of Timothy and a fictitious story about he refused higher education. There have been several articles and experiences since then that continue to downgrade a college education. They do allow for a little education if it is to develop a certain trade such as plumbing, hairdressing, etc. I personally was hurt by not being allowed to have higher education in the early 1960's (all I wanted was two years of college)--I could forgive them for that, but they are continuing to hurt our young people and depriving them of their right to have a decent eduction so they can support themselves and their families. They haven't learned a thing!

Sorry! I know we got off the subject.

Bonnie

• undercover
    undercover

I wonder if Jimmy Swaggert has these problems...

• zack
    zack

Now that I am mentally free, I see the dishonesty and cunning in their quest for money. Always more and more and more money. What do they do with the MONEY? Who is keeping the MONEY? Where is the MONEY?

In politics, in business, and in religion.... follow the money. THAT'S where the truth lays.

So, WTS, WHERE'S THE MONEY?

Have I mentioned these guys are evil?

• DeViL DriVeR 76
    DeViL DriVeR 76

Not sure if I can agree there. Have you ever seen how bethelites live? The bethelites live in poverty. As a child I remember they rarely did anything because their allowance was so low. Even ones high up in the chain didnt live lavish. Yeah some cars were bought that I do know, but in all honesty I have to say that these people do think they are right and I doubt they do this for money because I never saw any with money. Once a month at every meeting, and at every convention and assembly they give an account report stating donations received and bills accumulated, than they state whether they had a surplus or deficit, and for as long as I was going it was mostly about even. On the other hand they are hypocrites but thats a whole other topic, but I really doubt that theres some high JW officials living in luxury wiping their butts with money lol.

• flipper
    flipper

By not paying for labor, or paying very little to anyone at any level the Watchtower was able to amass a great deal of valuable property and investments. Curious what will become of all that the way things are going with them. flipper

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Everyone, please try to get a copy of a letter like that so I can post it.

I suspect the IRS would also be VERY interested in learning about this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit