Polytheism, Monotheism, Atheism: a logical sequence?

by Narkissos 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The current heated "(monotheist) believers vs. atheists" threads tends to overlook, imo, this rather commonplace but relevant issue: how modern Atheism continues (and thus is tributary to) a line of religious, philosophical and scientific thought which runs from ancient polytheism through monotheism, both in Greek and Jewish traditions (which are the two main sources of Western culture).

In the Greek-speaking world, Homeric-like polytheism went out of fashion, and although political authorities stood for the conservation of popular worship of the gods (atheism being a capital offence, ask Socrates), an intellectual monotheism came to the fore, especially in Platonic tradition, along with more or less "underground" forms of early atheism (Democritus, Epicurus).

In Judea, for mainly political reasons ("one god, one temple, one priesthood, one king") the "Deuteronomistic reform" of the 7th century BC promoted the active rejection (1) of all other gods than Yhwh, and (2) of any representation of Yhwh himself, henceforth branded as "idolatry". It also (3) reinterpreted most "natural" features in older Israelite religion (linking Yhwh, just as Baal, with the cycle of seasons, especially the rain and dry seasons, vegetal and animal fertility) into historical (or pseudo-historical) celebrations: the feast of spring became the celebration of the national foundation in the exodus from Egypt, etc. (4) The development of a doctrine of creation, increasingly construed as creatio ex nihilo -- mere "fabrication" of the world out of nothing instead of the older theomachy (struggle between the gods) wrestling for order out of chaos contributed to emptying "nature" of its numinous, sacred or divine presences: the sun, the moon, the stars, vegetables, animals and humans became mere "objects," vessels designed and made by a master craftsman, but devoid of intrinsic divinity. This practically paved the way for a practically materialistic approach of the universe of phenomena.

In the wake of Jerusalem's fall and Babylonian exile which quickly followed, Deutero-Isaiah introduced monotheism proper by denying the very existence of any god besides Yhwh: as a result Yhwh was no longer "a god" but "God". There were, of course, a number of resurgences of repressed polytheism within monotheism, with the post-exilic development of angelology and demonology linked to the diversity of "good" and "bad" phenomena. The "invention of the devil" combined a theoretical monotheism with practical dualism. Christology reintroduced plurality into the divine, especially with the Trinity doctrine. But the critical, negative trend which rejection of polytheism and "idols" had started could not be easily stopped. Theology, linking the Greek philosophical tradition with the Jewish heritage, kept on sweeping the "pluralistic" and "anthropomorphic" aspects of "God" under the carpet in favour of an increasingly abstract notion of God as "first cause". In the classical age Deism was naturally thought of as the "theism of reason" until political freedom allowed the clear expression of materialism and atheism (which I think were not new, but had been haunting the system all along).

In short, my point is: the roots of atheism, just as of monotheism, reach deep in our history of thought, and especially in the Bible itself. Monotheism came up with the denial of gods. Atheism actually follows up what was started with monotheism by denying one god more -- the remaining "idol" as Nietzsche put it. The process of denial (aka criticism) is common to both.

I think the monotheistic vs. atheistic debate might be greatly improved if both parties acknowledged what they have in common. Not to say that what they have in common shouldn't be, in turn, questioned (as the so-called "post-modernist" perspective calls for).

Comments?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Having an opinion that falls under the pantheist rubrique, i see 'the divine' in everything. I think that polytheism came from that kind of pantheist/animist origin. Yet, i think polytheism was a result of a gross misunderstanding by those who could not see, the start of religion. I see 'the divine' in everything, yet i see no gods. Worship is stupid. I often side w the atheists. Seeing, connecting (or, as spock called it, mindmelding) requires what could easily be mistaken for worshipful attitude. I suppose, w the kind of view that i have, polytheism, monotheism, and atheism are all ok, but none accurate.

S

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Good points Satanus. Indeed polytheism already denies something about "reality" but it does so in a mostly creative manner, by constructing a polymorphous and colourful imaginary "divine" realm above (or beneath) the phenomenal world. An age-old cultural creation on which even pantheism conceptually depends (cf. our previous discussion on http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/102423/1.ashx). Something is probably "cut off" from the henceforth "non-divine" reality in the act of inventing "gods," but much is added to it in the process, too (the same could be said of monotheism and atheism, which also add to the real world, only the process is more negative than creative as far as the imaginary realm is concerned).

I hope this idea will be discussed from both monotheist and atheist standpoints, too...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What comes into my head after reading what you wrote is, We are god (conciousness) having a human experience. Thats were I'm at today.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

A very thought-provoking and intriguing post. You should write this up somewhere.

For the sake of others, let me quote a key statement from Deutero-Isaiah:

"I am the first and the last; there is no other God besides me. Who is like me? Let him stand up and speak ... Is there any other God besides me? There is no Rock; I know of none" (Isaiah 44:6-8).

Rather than stating that people should not serve other gods (the Deuteronomistic perspective, cf. Deuteronomy 17:3, Jeremiah 13:10), the author has done one better by claiming that no other gods even exist. Because of this, "gods" are nothing more than the idols representing them, thus he can speak of a person "fashioning a god" (Isaiah 44:10; plassontes theon in the LXX) or "making gods" (v. 15; eirgasanto theous in the LXX), or "making a carved god" (v. 17; epoiésan eis theon glupton in the LXX) i.e. the god is literally of human creation. This bears some resemblance to the modern atheistic statement that man created God, not God created man.

Paul has a similar idea in 1 Corinthians, in fact, he seems to have Deutero-Isaiah fresh in his mind. He says that Christians have the "knowledge" that "idols [i.e. gods] in the world are really nothing (ouden), and that there is no god (oudeis theos) but one" (8:1, 4), and that all the many "so-called gods" (legomenoi theoi) are not real. He reserves the term theos to God alone, referring to the gods that non-Christians believe in as mere "idols" or "so-called gods".

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Beautifully put jaguarbass... I'd just add that your poetical expression presupposes the theistic notion of "god"; hadn't it been first posited realistically (as "the gods" in polytheism or "God" in monotheism) it couldn't be used metaphorically (of "consciousness" for instance).

Re: Leolaia's quotes, one particularly interesting word-concept is the Jewish-Hellenistic kheiropoiètos ("hand-made") used to describe gods, idols or temples (in the LXX, translating 'elilim in Leviticus 26:1; Isaiah 2:18; 10:11; 19:1; 31:7; gillulim in Leviticus 26:30; miqdash in Isaiah 16:12; pesile 'elohim in Isaiah 21:9; 'el in Isaiah 46:6; cf. Daniel 5:4,23; 6:28; 14:5; Judith 8:18, theois kheiropoiètois; Wisdom 14:8), and which in the NT becomes a keyword of Hellenistic anti-temple and more generally anti-Jewish polemics, Mark 14:58 (vs. akheiropoiètos); Acts 7:48; 17:24; 2 Corinthians 5:1; Ephesians 2:11; Colossians 2:11 (on circumcision); Hebrews 9:11,24. Here we see the uncontrollable nature of a critical trend started by monotheistic/aniconic Judaism against everything "made up" and reverting against it, as also "made up". The modern "scientific" mind requiring data (facts given and not made up) is not unrelated to that imo.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Narkissos....I don't think kheiropoiètos / akheiropoiètos in Mark 14:58 (and in 2 Corinthians 5:1, which appropriates similar language) reflects a Hellenistic anti-Temple polemic per se, but rather forms part of the same Christian interpretation of Daniel that v. 62 similarly belongs to. Jesus is the "stone that crushes" (Daniel 2:34-35, 44; cf. Mark 12:10-11), and this stone is made "without human hands" (akheiropoiètos). By designating the Temple as kheiropoiètos, there is a subtle hint that the Temple has become idolatrous just as idols are kheiropoiètos, and of course that was the situation concerning the Temple in Hebrew Daniel, that the "appalling abomination" was set up in the sanctuary in the place of the perpetual sacrifice just as another will shortly reappear (cf. Mark 13:14). My suspicion is that Mark (and even more so John) characterizes Jesus as a sort of Antiochus redivivus figure, or rather, an anti-Antiochus figure whose words and actions ironically parallel those of Antiochus in Daniel. This would extend as well to the story of Jesus' violence in the Temple against the money changers (ch. 11), taking action against corruption in the Temple. The "Son of Man" christology of the Second Gospel would seem to be a quite concious re-reading of Daniel.

The Antiochus episode raises an interesting issue about atheism: It was the first time in Jewish history since the rise of monotheism that their own "God" was prominantly positioned as a "nothing", as of no consequence in his very own Temple. Antiochus was certainly an "atheist" of the Jewish God, and pious Jews were shocked, shocked, shocked! that he would behave in such a manner.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I think it's a perfectly logical sequence. Early on in human history, there's very little knowledge of the underpinnings of the world. Virtually everything that happens that has no immediately obvious cause is ascribed to "gods" of some sort. As time passes and some people come to realize that many of these happenings have some sort of order, it becomes increasingly harder to claim that apparently mysterious happenings must be caused by a bunch of gods. The earliest human who saw a lump of copper metal congeal out of a fire where some stone (copper ore, actually) had been might have concluded that some god had given him a gift, but after thousands of years and millions of systematic, successful attempts at smelting, it was inevitable that the "god" explanation no longer cut the mustard. The notion that some god sits there waiting for some human to fire up a smelter just doesn't jibe with the notion that gods are above everyday human concerns.

Moving forward, the abandonment of a single god, God, Allah or whatever one likes to call some monotheistic god, is just as inevitable. The notion that this God sits there waiting for some human to pray to him and then do something to answer the prayer just doesn't jibe with the fact that no one can acutally demonstrate that such God actually does something. The claimed personal experiences of the faithful are easily dismissed as wishful thinking, just as supposed "faith healings" are easily shown to be the work of charlatans or some form of mind over matter. We see some examples of vague "pain" going away but never a limb growing back.

The form of atheism described by Richard Dawkins is really the only rational view of the question of the exitence of gods -- one cannot 100% discount the existence of such gods, any more than one can at present discount the existence of a magic teapot orbiting in the asteroid belt, but one doesn't go about daily activities with such marginal possibilities in mind.

AlanF

• dilaceratus
    dilaceratus

To argue against the rational necessity of a god or gods is to make the same argument-- There needn't be any logical line of casting off the old superstitions by, say, first denying the local harvest god, then the rain god, etc. A modern polytheist might move to a scientific atheism in one fell swoop, without a transitional monotheism.

It's the willingness to cast away the old that marks the important change, not the quantity of deity-objects.

The tendency from rigid Zoroastrian (or Aten cult?) dualism towards iconoclasm seems to me the most important psychological and historical element in developing Western ideals, and, ultimately, scientific thought (oh...and Internet message boards).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Leolaia

The Danielic background of Mark is very interesting, but I feel there is more to the denied Jesuine saying in Mark 14:58 (which is regarded as authentic Jesuine saying in John 2, in a slightly different form) than a purely Markan reminiscence of Daniel. In particular, its correspondence with the discourse of Stephen (the Hellenist!) which (in spite of the "Lukan" softening) clearly assumes that the temple was idolatrous right from the start (instead of becoming so accidentally) is striking imo.

However the idea of Jesus as the "greater Antiochos" is quite thought-provoking. To be fair to the original Antiochos, though -- epimanes ("crazy") as he may have been to some -- I'd suggest his real purpose was less to deny the Jewish god (as the chasidim propaganda implies) than to Hellenise him under a trans-ethnical name. But the result in Jewish imagination was the same.

AlanF,

Very good points. I'd just submit that explaining physical phenomena was perhaps neither the only nor even the first motive behind mythology. It filled a number of other needs which what we now define as non-scientific fields, like religion or art, are still trying to address.

Dilaceratus,

I very much agree that monotheism is not a necessary stepping stone between polytheism and atheism. That's why I mentioned the underground tradition of practical if not overt atheism running parallel to philosophical monotheism in the Greek world. And we can suspect that "atheism" was not unthought of in the Jewish sphere either. The motto "there is no god" ascribed to the "fool" in Psalms may well express (as well as try to repress) a very serious question, which most Bible commentaries (taking for granted that "atheism" was unthinkable to the Ancients) explain away by making it a purely practical or moral stance.

Edited to add: I'd very much welcome comments on this topic from a theistic standpoint.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit